Author Topic: Can you help me buy some boots please?  (Read 6467 times)

Norfolk-Matt

Re: Can you help me buy some boots please?
« Reply #30 on: 19:31:17, 21/09/17 »
100% agree with Jethro above.

You have to try boots on first to make sure the size is ok, no heel slipping, no toe hitting the end etc. I won't even use a pair of boots until I've worn them around the house for a bit first too. There's so many decent boots out there but in my opinion they're the most important thing to get right.

I have spent up to £180 on a pair of boots, which is a lot of money to me, but when on a long hard hill walk in the rain, going over boggy terrain, me and my other half always comment on how our boots are worth every penny. It would be annoying to buy a slightly cheaper pair and have them leak.

I had Scarpa R evo GTX, now have Lowa Caminos and she has Meindl Bhutan. The Scarpas lasted about a year and a half but had fairly heavy use and was pleased with their performance since buying them.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:38:36, 21/09/17 »
Your experience of expensive fabric boots only lasting 18 months doesn't sound much different to what Kinkyboots was saying.
What wore/broke to mean you had to bin them at that point?

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #32 on: 19:44:03, 21/09/17 »
Your experience of expensive fabric boots only lasting 18 months doesn't sound much different to what Kinkyboots was saying.
What wore/broke to mean you had to bin them at that point?

I blame myself for them breaking.

One of the eyelets had broken down/corroded (not rust). Due to me walking near the sea a lot and getting sea water on them many times and not cleaning them properly after use.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:15:09, 21/09/17 »
No I'm not an Altberg salesperson but from personal experience I do know a quality boot when I see one but even more importantly I know a bad boot when I see one.

It's important to note that I will only personally recommend a boot which I have owned and used myself although I may occasionally point users to have a closer look at other boots which may suit their budget and intended use. If you read the thread from start to finish you will see that I have also pointed the OP to a couple of cheaper budget options to consider which may be suitable for his intended use.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think trying to suggest and convince yourself and others that a £40-£60 fabric boot can be as good or as long lasting as a £200 full leather boot from one of the better known manufacturers is wrong. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with your own personal choice of boot is all that matters.

There are a number of reasons why a budget boot costs £40-£60 and a boot from the better known manufacturer's may cost ~£200 and those are mainly due to the vast difference in the quality of the materials used in their construction, the difference in their build quality and the level of quality control employed during the manufacturing process. The manufacturing/production costs in China, Malaysia and Eastern Europe are also far below those in the UK and Western Europe.

I can't remember which online retailer's "boot advice" website I saw this on but given average usage/mileage (if there is such a thing) a fabric/suede/leather combination construction boot will typically last around 2+ years before it fails and needs replacing in comparison to a full leather construction boot which will typically last 5+ years and my personal experience of different types of boots confirms that time difference as being reasonably accurate. Once the waterproof liner in a fabric/suede/leather combination construction boot has failed either through wear from grit particles etc. inside the boot or punctured by a toenail or something else the boots are useless in all but dry and mud free weather conditions and require replacing. In a full leather boot the waterproof liner can fail in the same way but provided the leather has been regularly waxed the boot can continue to be used in any weather conditions. A fabric/suede/leather combination construction boot is usually made up of a number of small panels with loads of stitching connecting them together which are all potential points of failure. A full leather construction boot is usually made from one piece of leather with a limited amount of stitching vastly reducing the points of potential failure. Due to improvements in leather hide selection and tanning processes and contrary to what some people still believe most modern full leather boots now require very little or no breaking in period. It's only in 3-4 season or 4 season boots where very thick leather is used

1. You say fabric type is hard to clean.
I use a soft brush and a hosepipe to clean boots - a few mins - like leather. no more, no less.
That's just from my personal experience. I found that thoroughly cleaning all the nooks and crannies on fabric boots took extra time and effort when compared to full leather boots and keeping fabric boots looking good for any length of time proved difficult.

2. you say - requires constant treatment with a waterproofing spray to keep them waterproof.
Totally wrong I believe, it's the membrane that keeps them waterproof, a spray is unnecessary and I doubt there is truly a waterproof spray anyhow.
After washing, Sometimes before I use them next, about every 5-10 uses, I spray them as it helps keep them a bit cleaner. a spray- about 10-20 seconds a boot.Now Altberg, from their website (http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/ I'll paraphrase though.)
I agree that on a fabric boot the membrane is your only protection from water but I personally found that regularly using a waterproofing spray on a fabric construction boot was essential to keep the water beading off them but more importantly it stopped the fabric soaking up water and adding unnecessary weight to the boot. 

3. They say if it's warm, cover with a damp cloth and dry slower as drying can shrink the leather - what a pfaff[/font]
They say wet/dry cycles will inevitably crack along joint but you can slow it down - built in breaking is another way to look at it if you're being harsh;-)
I think you need to remember that Altberg is a major supplier of boots to the armed forces and that particular advice relates to their use in hot countries overseas. All leather will crack due to flexing eventually it's just a fact and how it is. The more leather goes through a wet and dry cycle the greater the chance of the leather eventually cracking which is why it's important to wax the leather regularly. It's absolutely no different to saying that all waterproof liners will fail eventually it's just a fact and how it is.

4. They say, wax EVERY TIME. They are saying timing is important to do it when nearly dry, or just dry. What a pfaff again. I may be at work at the critical point !!!
So
Fabric - wash, spray for 20 seconds sometimes.
Altberg - wash, possibly dry with a damp cloth if warm, it inevitably cracks, and wax every time - more than 20 seconds!
Again you need to remember that advice is aimed mainly at military personnel who use their boots day in day out in all sorts of weather conditions for extended periods of time. The advice to wax when damp is so that the pores in the leather are open and the oils contained within the wax can get deeper into the leather to replace those oils lost during the drying out process and extend the life of the boot.

jethro10

« Reply #34 on: 09:17:06, 22/09/17 »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think trying to suggest and convince yourself and others that a £40-£60 fabric boot can be as good or as long lasting as a £200 full leather boot from one of the better known manufacturers is wrong.
I never said that at all, I understand cheaper boots don't last as long. what I said, is that over the years, replacing cheaper more often may not be that much more expensive that a big hit in one go.
Buying a product that costs £10 and lasts a year is as cheap as a £100 product lasting 10 years, and if you get lucky, and each one lasts a week more, it may be even cheaper. Plus there's the cash flow benefit.
However, for me, fabric is more comfortable. And like a settee I recently bought, I paid more for one that felt comfortable. Sometimes paying more (in the long run) is worth it. It not always about "what is the best value for money." and dont forget, I fall on both sides of this, I have cheap footwear, and expensive. I have a foot in both camps if you like  :D . I'm just open minded enough to look into it more.

I can't remember which online retailer's "boot advice" website I saw this on but given average usage/mileage (if there is such a thing) a fabric/suede/leather combination construction boot will typically last around 2+ years before it fails and needs replacing in comparison to a full leather construction boot which will typically last 5+ years
Well if you can't remember, it doesn't help anyone then. It makes no odds if the leather cost 2 1/2 times the price (based on your years life above), you are into the same costs. and cost isn't everything. I probably spend as much in petrol costs and parking for walking each month as my annual spend on boots/shoes for the hobby cost.

I agree that on a fabric boot the membrane is your only protection from water but I personally found that regularly using a waterproofing spray on a fabric construction boot was essential to keep the water beading off them but more importantly it stopped the fabric soaking up water and adding unnecessary weight to the boot.
Probably been a while since you looked at fabric then, because the ones I've seen over the past 5 or 10 years are not of a type of fabric that the threads absorb water so this doesn't in fact happen. Think, possibly a bit like,  quick dry trousers v's wearing jeans. Fabric boots are not "jeans" anymore.
Out of curiosity, I'm going to weigh my wet boots, and dry ones and see exactly what happens. I like to be open minded. I suspect even with a bit of water, they still are lighter than leather. Like for Like.

I think you need to remember that Altberg is a major supplier of boots to the armed forces and that particular advice relates to their use in hot countries overseas.
Again, you're wrong and misleading people. Even though Altberg do seem to supply services, it in no way states on the care instructions page that it refers to only services boots.
http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/

Again you need to remember that advice is aimed mainly at military personnel who use their boots day in day out in all sorts of weather conditions for extended periods of time. The advice to wax when damp is so that the pores in the leather are open and the oils contained within the wax can get deeper into the leather to replace those oils lost during the drying out process and extend the life of the boot.
Again, no it doesn't state military at all. You're wrong.
And again, if you need to time your waxing, its a pfaff. This fact alone, plus the extra time for waxing is probably worth £20 a year to me, thats £100 for your 5 year life, basically rendering the total cost of ownership of boots as irrelevant to me, and possibly others. Other factors like weight, easy of cleaning, comfort playing a bigger part.

And I do remember, you mentioning Marmot Precip in the bargain thread recently. It was way cheap, and I got one. Thanks!   :)

J

Hardbic

« Reply #35 on: 23:40:08, 22/09/17 »
Wow long posts. But yours discussion showed me to be more open mind.
I will go to direct sport and I'will check first what they have. Online I see that they have some good brands is well. Salomons for example.

Hardbic

« Reply #36 on: 18:48:35, 23/09/17 »
I have been today in TK maxx. They had one snowy boots in my size. I took it.
Is just snowy boots, very warmth. So on the summer i will need different. But now should be all right.
This puma, just on the zip. I dont know what to think about this. But seems comfy. Just 39,99. I have one mounth to give it back.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002OB4Q5I/ref=asc_df_B002OB4Q5I46204345/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B002OB4Q5I&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205171266866&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7167584235350624472&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006959&hvtargid=pla-339388001036 [nofollow]

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 10:12:20, 24/09/17 »

I hate to state the obvious but those are totally unsuitable for any type of walking. They are more like something you might possibly wear to get from your hotel to a bar in a ski resort or to clear your path or drive when it snows.

I hope you realise that around 140 people have died on the Orla Perć route you mentioned earlier since it opened and the biggest single reason for those deaths apart from being hit on the head by falling rocks has been the use of inappropriate footwear.

For you the Orla Perć route might well be a dream but at this point in time it is clearly not a realistic option. I will say no more.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:29:28, 24/09/17 »
Well said  O0
Where there's a will ...

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #39 on: 11:20:43, 24/09/17 »
I have been today in TK maxx. They had one snowy boots in my size. I took it.
Is just snowy boots, very warmth. So on the summer i will need different. But now should be all right.
This puma, just on the zip. I dont know what to think about this. But seems comfy. Just 39,99. I have one mounth to give it back.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002OB4Q5I/ref=asc_df_B002OB4Q5I46204345/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B002OB4Q5I&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205171266866&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7167584235350624472&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006959&hvtargid=pla-339388001036 [nofollow]

Not sure if serious.

Did you read any of the replies to your original post in this thread?

Hardbic

« Reply #40 on: 12:39:17, 24/09/17 »

Ohh I did not say clear, sorry. In december im going to Zakopane, but no on Orla perć. I know how danger is this place and i would never go over there in winter. Does not matter which boots.
Orla perć I planned on summer.

On winter in december i will go more to walk in valeys.
So i thought that boots arę not bad because have gore-tex, snow sole, are warmth, wool inside.

But after your reactions i will go give it back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy