Author Topic: Kip mat for Trekking  (Read 1004 times)

Forkbeard

Kip mat for Trekking
« on: 12:47:05, 24/09/17 »
Can anyone recommend a decent, lightweight sleeping mat for Trekking? I don't have any sort in mind, just something better than the cm thick foam things! Done a couple of camps with a readybed that I borrowed, but that's when we've taken the car and is way too big and heavy for carrying.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Kip mat for Trekking
« Reply #1 on: 17:41:49, 24/09/17 »
Can anyone recommend a decent, lightweight sleeping mat for Trekking? I don't have any sort in mind, just something better than the cm thick foam things! Done a couple of camps with a readybed that I borrowed, but that's when we've taken the car and is way too big and heavy for carrying.

There's loads. Thermarest and Exped make some really good ones. Alpkit make some cheaper ones. There are chinese ones appearing on the market that are well priced. Depends what you wanna pay and the conditions etc.

Personally, my aging body cannot cope with thin mats. I have a bad back, bad neck and I move around a lot when I sleep. So like a mat to be thick enough for side lying, wide enough so my arms don't drop off it when lying on my back and of course not too heavy. The one I have is the Synman UL LW which is one of the biggest lightweight mats around.

You want it insulated if you're going to use it in winter or be prepared to add a foam mat too it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:29:50, 24/09/17 »
My mat, Thermorest NeoAir, love it!

Forkbeard

« Reply #3 on: 20:39:36, 25/09/17 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a look and finished up going for one of these, it seems ideal but will have to wait and see:

https://www.klymit.com/static-v-sleeping-pad.html

FOX160

« Reply #4 on: 19:26:13, 26/09/17 »
If it's for 3 Season you should be ok but if you sleep cold then a higher R rating would be needed.

MudMagnet

« Reply #5 on: 12:07:10, 27/09/17 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a look and finished up going for one of these, it seems ideal but will have to wait and see:

https://www.klymit.com/static-v-sleeping-pad.html [nofollow]

Don't know anyone who has tried one of these, would be really interested to hear your feedback once you've had a few trips on it.  Enjoy the outdoors......

Forkbeard

« Reply #6 on: 17:27:04, 27/09/17 »
Don't know anyone who has tried one of these, would be really interested to hear your feedback once you've had a few trips on it.  Enjoy the outdoors......

I'll post back when I've tried it out properly. It's extremely light and small and at a quick try it's comfortable. I'm not convinced how rugged it is and I'll definitely be using a bit of a groundsheet with it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy