Author Topic: How do you apply leder Gris?  (Read 8723 times)

chip

How do you apply leder Gris?
« on: 21:14:56, 25/09/17 »
looking for some advice here, I have just bought some altberg defenders and some mod brown leder Gris.

There is not much info on how to apply leder Gris, altberg own website just says brush in and I read somewhere else you just use one brush but I have found little else.

So do you just apply sparingly with a brush until you see it no longer being absorbed or is it best to apply generously giving it a good brushing then leave for 15 mins or so before removing any excess with a cloth.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Also bought a tin of black to use on my DR martens.

Pitboot

Re: How do you apply leder Gris?
« Reply #1 on: 00:52:57, 26/09/17 »
When I was still serving I just got a j-cloth and rubbed the Leder-Gris into the leather until it was coated with the stuff. Let it stand in a warm room (not hot) overnight then with a clean part of the cloth buff it up or rub until it no longer smears or stains the cloth.
 Once you have a layer on you can maintain it by brushing a bit on whenever you need to, it was daily in the army. You can leave it matt or polish it up with a soft brush.
I don't bother with the stuff now, I just use nikwax.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:49:37, 26/09/17 »
When new you will find that the leather on Altberg's boots is quite dry and has had minimal treatment before they leave the factory.

I find that warming the tin of wax to soften it before use helps a lot. Applying 2 or 3 very thin coats gives far better results and is much easier than trying to put on one thick coat. As Altberg's website suggests applying the wax when the boots are damp or almost dry helps as the pores in the leather are open and accept the oils in the wax more easily when the leather is in this condition.

Either use your finger end or a cloth to apply the wax sparingly and rub it well in. The heat from your finger end helps the wax absorb into the leather. Pay particular attention to any lines of stitching, the tongue and any other nooks and crannies. As Pitboot suggests it often helps to allow the boots to stand for a while to absorb and cure before brushing it well in. The idea of the brushing is that you are trying to drive the oils contained within the wax down into the pores of the leather and if done correctly it should leave only a very thin almost invisible layer of wax on the surface of the leather. It takes a bit of effort and a lot of brushing but a shine can eventually be achieved if required.

If the surface of the leather is not dry to the touch when you have finished brushing you will have just created two very powerful dust magnets.  ;D

Repeat the process for each subsequent coat.

chip

« Reply #3 on: 11:14:14, 26/09/17 »
Thanks for the advice, I will give them a few coats when they arrive.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy