Author Topic: Cold feet, empty pockets.  (Read 2567 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Cold feet, empty pockets.
« on: 11:25:25, 03/10/17 »
How do you keep your feet warm, I find that I can rarely keep my feet warm over night in a tent no matter what I try I have even carried thick hand knit woolen socks, plastic bags , put my jacket around my feet everything you can think of with the minimum stuff I carry. rarely anything works on cool nights. To the extent now that I look for B&B which budget wise cuts down what I can afford to walk.

Gunwharfman, I know you are a master at minimalish hiking so do you have any tips?
Too little, too late, too bad......

Cairncamper

Re: Cold feet, empty pockets.
« Reply #1 on: 11:48:30, 03/10/17 »
Down booties, a nalgene bottle used as a hot water bottle, a small dog or human with a foot fetish.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:07:57, 03/10/17 »
I'm the opposite to you. I never worn socks whilst sleeping. I've tried, but my feet start 'burning up' and its just too uncomfortable. When I sleep I do wear leggings and a baselayer and when it gets colder I can if I want to, wear a warm jacket as well. For whatever reason I do not suffer from cold feet, I have no idea why this is? Do you suffer from any circulation problems? Is there a medical reason for your discomfort?

I do not suffer from cold feet when hiking either. I have had cold feet in the past but now that I always have Sorbothane inserts in my boots this seems to be enough to solve the issue.

Likewise hands. I have found out whats best for me to keep warm, a thin pair of gloves for day to day cold and if it gets really cold I just wear mittens over the top.

I've never felt the need to cover my head, I only cover when its raining, sunny or perhaps when its windy. Never covered my head at night yet.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:39:10, 03/10/17 »
Cairncamper, Down bootees, never even heard of them, thanks will get onto the interweb. Foot fetishist, would be my luck toonly be able to find an 18 stone rugby player, dogs I find are not that stupid they prefer the to insinuate themselves into the warmest spot.

GWM, you are truly lucky to have ever warm feet. It only affects me at night. During the day I never notice them, I am a two socks person so maybe that helps in the daytime. My circulation is OK. (I use warfarin daily, but this affected me prior to using that)   I wear thin gloves most of the time. When they are not enough I have some cheap end of season skiing gloves which are truly the bees knees. I wear a hat at all times because I suffer severely from baldness. UV cap during warm days and my bobble hat at all other times.
Its just when I settle down for the night my feet chill out, way too much.

So down bootees and hot water bottle may be easiest thing to try. Now onto the interweb ahunting I will go.

motorlaunch

« Reply #4 on: 12:51:05, 03/10/17 »
How about Chilli Muscle Rub. It warms up the skin. Might work on your feet (aching or not).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nature-Knows-Best-Chilli-Muscle

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:57:00, 03/10/17 »
mmm, chilli muscle rub. Could be a problem if I needed a wee call of nature, that is, if I did not have enough spare water to thoroughly wash hands?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:01:04, 03/10/17 »
mmm, chilli muscle rub. Could be a problem if I needed a wee call of nature, that is, if I did not have enough spare water to thoroughly wash hands?

But it would take your mind off your cold feet!  :D
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:09:03, 03/10/17 »
Ninthace
But it would take your mind off your cold feet!  :D

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :2funny:

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:29:59, 03/10/17 »
Not git time to read all the posts but,
 nalgene bottle or similar whatever you carry filled with hot water  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:55:33, 03/10/17 »
Thanks Beefy. As an inhabitant of the true North I think you and Cairncamper may have come up with the solution, the water can always be brewed for my morning cuppa after having served as a foot warmer.

Was thinking about those chemical handwarmers placed in a tin can?
« Last Edit: 15:47:27, 03/10/17 by jimbob »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:09:53, 03/10/17 »
the water can always be brewed for my morning cuppa after having served as a fot warmer.

Exactly  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

TinTin

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:40:49, 03/10/17 »
I used to get cold feet and hands from poor circulation until I started taking ginkgo biloba tablets. They have certainly worked for me.
Regards Keith

Cairncamper

« Reply #13 on: 23:12:00, 03/10/17 »
I used to get ED from poor circulation until I started taking ginkgo biloba tablets. They have certainly worked for me.
Regards Keith

Where can I order this from, Keith?  ;D :P

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 01:02:21, 04/10/17 »
Welsh rambler.
That would be a sure fire way for me to fie or at least get a severe internal bleed. Ginko and warfarin do not mix at all well.

Tin tin I like the thought of dedicated feet warmers will look to try some of those.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy