Author Topic: hi there  (Read 1863 times)

gazthedart

hi there
« on: 00:02:03, 17/05/20 »
hey there im gary, im hard of hearing i was born deaf and wear hearing aids. as you can see by name, gaz is short for gary and i like darts lol i also like snooker aswel, i play both just for fun. i first got into this walking thing when i saw 'walks with a view' with julie bradbury, it was really good and i got dvds of that. i do long distance running myself and prefer trail runs and coastal path running and i started doing long walks as recovery, like 11 mile walks with lots of elevation, it's quite good yeah. im starting to do more walking now than ever before and what's intresting is if you've heard of strava where people record, hikes runs, bike rides, walks etc.. they actually make a day out of this walking, some will do 20plus miles, i just like the sound of that lol it will probably take along time but i think i'd enjoy that. most families that walk will do like 5+ miles. i remember discovering cornish ramblers and cornish ramblings on facebook, it's really intresting seeing their photos and discussions. i think as i get older i will retire from running and walk alot even in old age lol i see many old people on my walks it's inspiring yeah. im 36 at the moment and like to walk to keep active and fit.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: hi there
« Reply #1 on: 07:21:14, 17/05/20 »
Welcome to the forum Gary from Aberdeenshire. There is a lot of enjoyment (and exercise) to be had while walking. I have walked well over 20 miles in a day in the past and then the same the following day. I am now a bit older and carrying some injuries, so my walks are currently less than 10 miles - hopefully I will get back to longer walks again.

I have been on many walks with people in their 70s, 80s and even 90s. Pretty much all of them had been walkers and/or climbers all of their lives. If they had slowed down, they must have been formidable in their youth.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:12:08, 17/05/20 »
welcome Gary. As I have got older I have become far less competitive with others, that is not to say not competitive at all , I still enjoy a bit of a dig at times but I am more inclined just to test myself. These days I can still walk 30+ miles in a day but really now just enjoy walking whatever the distance and terrain. I used to run a lot, usually 7 or 8 times a week..every lunch hour and then twice a week with a club in the evenings and long runs at weekends. If I was training for a race I would alternate a long eeek og 40 miles with a short week of 20 miles and that seemed to work well for me. I cannot run these days as a bio mechanics clinic warned me about damage to an ankle joint which if I kept up the running would deteriorate to the point where long distance walking would be out.
Enjoy the forum it is full of useful snd not so useful stuff but good in any case.
It's all uphill from here.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:33:13, 17/05/20 »
Welcome to the forum from the southern edge of the Lake District, Gary.

I've dabbled in running, cycling and swimming in the past, but primarily I am a walker, preferably in wild places, whether that be coast, forest, moor or mountain (preferably the latter). My ideal walk would be a solo wild camp in somewhere really majestic and remote, like the Cairngorms, but most days it is just a few local miles with the dog, obligatory during lockdown. Not that I'm grumbling too much, as I have a lot of lovely and varied country on my doorstep.

Where do you do your walking?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:44:20, 17/05/20 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)
We are primarily backpackers and never did get into running, too much pounding of the joints. Our epic days are long behind us, though I can still do well over 20 miles a day if there is not much ascent. We are currently confined to day walks from home of course.
If you want to mix them you could also join the LDWA who have plenty of events (in normal times).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:51:08, 17/05/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I'm 75 and I run off-road when at home, I hike and camp when away. I find tarmack running to be rather boring! I use Wikiloc to record my runs, is this similar to Strava?

gazthedart

« Reply #6 on: 20:18:15, 17/05/20 »
the strava app records your route and distance and with elevation and you can add photos for your followers to see. i think strava makes it more intresting. i did a coastal path walk today about 4.5 miles. im from looe in cornwall and do lots of walks and runs locally. i do at times feel like catching the train one day and going to places outside of cornwall to explore new areas, i think that would be intresting. i have an uncle that walks with the launceston walking group,  he's the lead walker of the group and a cousin of mine does lots of distance walking in all sorts of conditions and surfaces. it's nice to have people you know who walk and hike, i do alot of walks myself to explore, there's so much try out with this.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:44:38, 17/05/20 »
Welcome Gary/Gaz

As you live in Looe, you could start walking the South West Coastpath.  Head West and keep going until you want to stop, then train/bus it back home.  What I do.
There are quite a few inland walks in Cornwell, but they tend to be a bit more historic orientated.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gazthedart

« Reply #8 on: 22:41:05, 17/05/20 »
hey thanks for that suggestion, it's like trial and error style and i think ill take my running backpack with fuel and drink and essentials in the pockets. i remember where julie bradbury would oftern stop at different places for chats with people and see sightings and check out history, it's ever so intresting and i like her style to stop at pub for dinner and a pint lol it's like you can have a field day with this 👍

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:54:05, 18/05/20 »
I have only once seen Julia Bradbury once on the telly, she was walking in Dorset.
Does she always wear the same sort of tops.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:24:27, 18/05/20 »
Welcome to the forum Garry. I've only ever dabbled with distance running, as I'm not at all built for it, but I still enjoy a challenge.  I do enjoy jogging the gentle down hill sections of a long day on the moors. The few times I have tried running on tarmac I have caused an injury somewhere or other, horrible surface, unless you are fitted with wheels and tyres.

If your in Looe, then your not for from me.  :)

10k Kevin

« Reply #11 on: 10:21:22, 19/05/20 »
Hi Guys I’m Kevin as the username suggests and I average about 10k on my walks I sustained shrapnel injuries on the Falklands so that’s my limit at the moment,always loved walking and met some great folk including a certain Des o Conner who was actually traversing down a cliff face in Anglesey with his pal Dave Lee travis but that’s another story.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:01:00, 19/05/20 »
Welcome to the forum from South Cumbria, Kevin. :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 06:53:07, 02/06/20 »
Hello

I'm new here. I'm Marketing Manager at  THC OIL Express.

Welcome to the forum from the South Lakes. Where do you do your walking?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy