Author Topic: What will you be planning?  (Read 3178 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Re: What will you be planning?
« Reply #15 on: 00:42:29, 19/04/20 »
On the basis that the really popular spots will be a nightmare to start with, I think I'm going to head to one of the quieter parts of the Brecon Beacons National Park for day trips or some of the quieter hills elsewhere in Wales if I can stay away from home - Cwmdeuddwr Hills, Pumlumon or the Rhinogydd. I'm slowly working my way through the high points of all the mountain ranges in Wales, 8 done, 13 to go.

If we get variations in restrictions and I have to stay in the south west of England it will be Exmoor or Dartmoor I suppose, where I haven't really done much walking recently.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:06:13, 19/04/20 »
Or it may be the Southern Cheviots
Funny you should mention that region, it's one of the areas I'm looking at to do a wild camp when lockdown is lifted, only an hour or so's drive for me.  Any pointers on particular areas to consider most welcome.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:24:34, 19/04/20 »
Not sure yet, Ridge. Striding Edge if conditions are good and he is feeling bold.
The first time my son did Helvellyn he had seen the Julia Bradbury crossing of Striding Edge and, though I thought he would be OK, he opted for Swirral then 2 years later said he felt he was ready which I think is why I like the photo so much. It felt that he was making really grown up, thought through decisions for himself.

When the opportunity arises I think either the Pennine Way or a GR hike in France.
If it's the PW I may see you.

I suspect it will be much longer than many think before things are back to normal.
I agree, and what becomes classed as normal may not be something which we would have been recognised as such just a few weeks ago.

Vincent82

« Reply #18 on: 09:40:46, 19/04/20 »
I think it depends on a lot on restrictions on travelling and hotels. I was meant to go to Scotland (from London), but I'm not sure that will be possible this summer.

Maybe trying wild camping if hotels don't reopen, or if they're full in popular places? I've never done it though.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:58:57, 19/04/20 »
We had been hoping to do the Cleveland Way this year in May or June and our plans had got as far as knowing where we wanted to stopover and identifying B&Bs, then this all starting kicking off so we thought we should hold off.  I think the only way we could do it now is short notice as I think booking too far ahead is a bit risky in case the lockdown has to be imposed again.  That would be assuming the B&Bs are open and indeed still operating. I think there may be some LDWs in the future where some B&Bs don’t re-open, especially as a lot seem to be operated by those retired or nearly retired. But also we won’t have done the normal training we do for a LDW.  Although we are walking every day as opposed to mainly at weekends they are between 2 and 6 miles.  At this point we would be upping the miles at weekends up to about 15 each day and also head to the Peak district to get some hills in. I rather think we’ll have to postpone this until next year now; we would have to do it by mid
August anyway as our 2nd grandchild is due mid September and our daughter will want us around to help out, that’s assuming we can of course!

Pitboot

« Reply #20 on: 16:36:14, 19/04/20 »
Looking forward to a trip to Crete to see old friends and walk the Samaria Gorge, and others. It all depends on the ifs!
If air travel is available, if it's cheap enough, if we survive the pandemic.
If all the ifs are covered maybe a mountain trip to Hungary, if I can get a decent map.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:30:49, 19/04/20 »
Seeing as this was supposed to be my "Year of Mountains", I'll carry on with that.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:20:59, 19/04/20 »
Very much dependent on when this all ends.  I had planned Ben Nevis with Edd for next month.  He is very much staying safely in New Zealand though.   So I guess the answer is catch up on this years plan at some point.  I can't see the Dartmoor Highground races happening in August, but if they do, then I hope to jog the 50 mile route this year.  I still have the remaining Scottish 4000s to do too. 

None of us is getting any younger, so missing a year may be a pain.  But better to make like a mountain and still be there next year. O0

PansyP

« Reply #23 on: 07:13:53, 20/04/20 »
Really hoping that conditions are relaxed enough for me to do a walk on the summer solstice from sidmouth to Seaton. Want to start about 0400 and watch the sunrise somewhere on the SWCP. If that’s not allowed then I’ve got a week booked in September to walk St Ives to Lizard so let’s hope we’re sufficiently released by then! :(

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:02:46, 20/04/20 »
None of us is getting any younger, so missing a year may be a pain.  But better to make like a mountain and still be there next year. O0
I like that.
I will be taking my wife and daughter to walk Pen Y Fan once more but the north side , hopefully in a few months .  I have forgotten who it was, but another member  posted some glorious pics a few months back of the route. There are many different ways up,  but theirs got me envious.  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #25 on: 15:53:40, 28/04/20 »
Really hoping that conditions are relaxed enough for me to do a walk on the summer solstice from sidmouth to Seaton. Want to start about 0400 and watch the sunrise somewhere on the SWCP. If that’s not allowed then I’ve got a week booked in September to walk St Ives to Lizard so let’s hope we’re sufficiently released by then! :(
I had the Lyke wake walk planned for summer soltice however I'm not as fit as I want to be. I've walked most of it in segments last year so dont need a map  but doing it all in one go now after no hill walks will kill me  ;D

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:21:36, 28/04/20 »
I had the Lyke wake walk planned for summer soltice however I'm not as fit as I want to be. I've walked most of it in segments last year so dont need a map  but doing it all in one go now after no hill walks will kill me  ;D
I've got a back to back attempt pencilled in for the back end of July, nowhere near as fit as I need to be, going to have to get some serious hill time in once lockdown is over.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:37:03, 28/04/20 »
I hope you like up and downs.  There are a fair few on that route.  Not a route I would have thought of for viewing the sunrise on the solstice.  Have you checked the bearing of the sunrise?  Might work if you got as far as Beer Head but High Peak to the SW of Sidmouth might be also be goer as it has a clear view in all directions but it is in the opposite direction to Seaton.  There is a decent bus service to get you back to Sidmouth from Seaton - when I did that sector I parked at Seaton and rode the bus to the start near the front at Sidmouth.
Solvitur Ambulando

watershed

« Reply #28 on: 20:01:45, 28/04/20 »
Wow Some great walks planned here!

I've cancelled my big walk @850 miles that I had hoped to start in the next 2 weeks.
But may still get on our church walk along the great Glen Way in late July.
Locally I intend to do a 3 night wild camping trip, on two of our Northmost Isles.
Apart from that will continue my walks visiting all the known Neolithic sites up here.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:14:30, 28/04/20 »
For this year I had originally planned a 2000 mile walk in the USA (a big part of the CDT), starting around today. Obviously that is not going to happen, so I hope I can do that next year, if the situation is normalised by them (not a given imo).

In the UK, should lockdown measures be lifted by September, I hope to go to Scotland for a few weeks to do at least some hillwalking this year.

Even closer to home, should the lockdown be over by end of July or so, I might hike the South Downs Way, stealth camping along the way. I always love it in the summer with the flowers and butterflies.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy