Author Topic: Strava Art - our first attempt!  (Read 1708 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Strava Art - our first attempt!
« on: 16:44:08, 31/08/20 »
Wanting to make the most of the Bank Holiday, this afternoon my wife and I set off for a nearby meadow to have our first attempt at Strava Art.

And here's the result...

(It's supposed to be a walker with a pole and a backpack!)

For anyone not familiar with Strava Art, the idea is to record a route which when displayed in Strava (or, as here, in Google Earth Pro) makes a picture. Simple!  :)

It helps to have a big, unobstructed space to draw in (the route shown here is about 1.4 miles long) and a handheld GPS. I don't imagine it's very easy with just a map and compass.  ;)  Alternatively, roads make for an easier approach, but the results tend to be rather angular.

Should anyone else create a piece of Strava Art, I'd love to see it!...  8)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

snaderson

Re: Strava Art - our first attempt!
« Reply #1 on: 08:12:32, 01/09/20 »
Nice work! I thought it was Cerne Abbas Man (just missing a bit :) )

fatmanwalking

« Reply #2 on: 09:58:44, 01/09/20 »
i have a gps log where i drew a willy. and it seemed funny to me right up to the moment where i had to actually walk it out on land and it got boring fast.

cant help but respect what you done there (based on your text description, i cant seem to load the image?)
« Last Edit: 10:50:53, 01/09/20 by fatmanwalking »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:22:10, 01/09/20 »
« Last Edit: 17:56:55, 01/09/20 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:56:59, 01/09/20 »
cant help but respect what you done there (based on your text description, i cant seem to load the image?)

Thanks!

I don't know why you can't load the image, but perhaps it's because I used a width of 1200 pixels. Here's a smaller version cropped from my wife's Strava image:

(She recorded the whole walk, not just the drawing as I did.)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:04:10, 01/09/20 »
Good luck doing this when they make all trespass a criminal offence.  :D

I don't understand the point you're making.

What makes you think the meadow isn't a large open access area with village green status and extremely popular with dog-walkers?  :)

(Actually - if you look carefully - the great many paths crossing the meadow are a clue!)

GnP

• Veteran Member
I saw your thread and thought of this Gent.......
« Reply #6 on: 12:49:47, 01/09/20 »
Hi Dave , hope you don`t think I`m derailing this thread but we (family) spent the day at Brean sands on Sunday , and walked along Howe Rock . A Guy was dragging a wide plough type contraption behind him , that dug a pattern in the sand while he walked . I spoke to the Gent and he told me he walks about 11 mile and it takes him around four hours to complete the whole pattern . He finished it mid afternoon and high tide was at 6pm which would cover it all completely .He downed several bottles of beer while completing his task . I`m in no way suggesting you take beer along on your next Strava expedition .. ;) :)

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:59:58, 01/09/20 »
Hi G&P. I remember seeing something very similar (might even be the same artist) on a BBC walking programme called Weatherman Walking. The beach artwork became part of the programme intro if I remember correctly.  :)

BTW, I've just plotted another GPS track for later today - this time using all the available space!...  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:10:19, 01/09/20 »
Every so often some bright spark does it with an aeroplane.  If you look in Flightradar24 or similar each flight has a trace showing its route.  There has been more than one gentleman (never a lady pilot) that has fallen foul of the authorities for drawing a willy.  I have also seen a complete Christmas tree and an airbus test flight draw the outline of the plane using Europe as its canvass.  I could not find that one, but I found one by El-Al   https://www.businessinsider.com/el-al-tribute-retiring-boeing-747-drawing-plane-in-sky-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

Here is a challenge for you - do a self portrait!
Solvitur Ambulando

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:46:43, 01/09/20 »
There's something of the Buddhist sand mandala about the art on the beach, the impermanence of things.....
Never seen or heard of the Strava tracks before - really impressed! :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:17:59, 01/09/20 »
The last Qantas 747 flight drew a kangaroo with its track. A kangaroo is the Qantas logo.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:36:17, 01/09/20 »
Feeling slightly dissatisfied with yesterday's effort, we set off (after my wife had finished work) to do another picture in the meadow.  :)

I plotted an elephant because I wanted to fit the drawing to the shape of the meadow. By the way, I should mention that from the satellite view, the meadow looks as smooth as a cricket field, but it's actually covered in knee-high dry grass and thistles and the surface is very lumpy!

And here it is... 1.4 miles of our attempt at an elephant. It mostly went quite well, but for some reason the trunk got squashed. At the time, I thought we appeared to be stalking a couple with a dog off to the east, so I probably made too sharp a turn so as not to alarm them.

I think that'll be it for now for the meadow. I'll look at the possibility of using streets next...  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:06:35, 01/09/20 »
Love the elephant. Any excuse for a walk.  O0

fatmanwalking

« Reply #13 on: 02:18:03, 02/09/20 »
Thanks!

I don't know why you can't load the image, but perhaps it's because I used a width of 1200 pixels. Here's a smaller version cropped from my wife's Strava image:

(She recorded the whole walk, not just the drawing as I did.)
that's surprisingly brilliant, nice art !

fatmanwalking

« Reply #14 on: 02:22:22, 02/09/20 »
soo if an elephant never forgets does that mean you have left your mark there for eternity?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy