Author Topic: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?  (Read 4270 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?
« Reply #75 on: 20:14:40, 01/05/20 »
BBC reported on the SK track and trace and said that following MERS it enacted pretty draconian laws. These enable tracking through bank accounts and other ways that would probably never be acceptable in the UK. So, it appears that SK has a head start that we couldn’t ever hope to follow.
It is not so much through bank accounts but places where your bank card has been used as I understand it.  An article from mid March here  https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-south-koreas-success-in-controlling-disease-is-due-to-its-acceptance-of-surveillance-134068
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 09:33:40, 02/05/20 »
Just come in from the shed, must have made my 16th, or @ that, disposable face mask for Mrs BWW for her bi-weekly visit to her 101 year old mother. It passes muster for someone, who has worked as an acute surgical nurse for 50 years. May not be a true safe guard against Covid 19, but if we get to the stage that we are required wear something on let out at least I know I can knock up a useful facsimile in about 10 minutes. Reading most of the above I will not be relying on it anymore than a necessary piece of uniform compliant with the times. As I don't suppose any really effective products will be available to the masses at affordable prices and the reality will be overpriced fakes with bogus quality advertising!!
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 09:52:13, 02/05/20 »
... I don't suppose any really effective products will be available to the masses at affordable prices and the reality will be overpriced fakes with bogus quality advertising!!

Agreed, if the government insists on us wearing masks, which I don't believe will happen, I'll just wear my buff/old Army headover ....
Where there's a will ...

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: 09:53:06, 02/05/20 »
Therein lies the issue.  People make their own masks and feel better wearing them because they think they afford some protection whereas the evidence is that homemade masks provide very little protection.  They have an inadequate seal and are made of the wrong kinds of material to act as an effective filter.  Moreover, people fiddle with the fit and touch their faces without sanitising their hands and start getting closer because they feel protected.
HMG needs to reinforce the message that masks are not a substitute for effective social distancing and good hygiene.  Nor are they an excuse to go out on non essential journeys.

Stoopid idea then. I will bin my mask.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 11:45:31, 02/05/20 »
I saw two bemasked individuals that I had not seen before striding down the village street today wearing some kind of filter mask.  The masks came complete with an exhaust valve so the protection afforded to anyone else from their exhalations was zero but neither of them bothered to pass 2m away, presumably because they felt protected from we non mask wearing peons,
It was a lovely sunny day too with a gentle breeze so there was no need for a mask at all, had they kept 2m away, so that is 2 more masks wasted.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 12:14:19, 02/05/20 »
Stoopid idea then. I will bin my mask.

ilona

Not a stupid idea at all Ilona, as long as you wear your mask in addition to the other precautions that you are already taking - You may be slightly reducing the risk of you passing on the virus to others, should you unknowingly have it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 12:15:11, 02/05/20 »

Agreed, if the government insists on us wearing masks, which I don't believe will happen, I'll just wear my buff/old Army headover ....

A buff will suffice for me - not that I expect it to do much good.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 12:34:29, 02/05/20 »

I am torn between a buff and doing a Billy the Kid with an old ski scarf.  I think the latter would go better with my Tilley.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 12:43:15, 02/05/20 »

Just a thought - will a buff stand a hot (60C) wash or will it ruin it?  Might have to be my skiing tea towel.
Solvitur Ambulando

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 14:10:12, 02/05/20 »

Not a stupid idea at all Ilona, as long as you wear your mask in addition to the other precautions that you are already taking - You may be slightly reducing the risk of you passing on the virus to others, should you unknowingly have it.

Hi Richard, thank you for your reply. I know all about the additional precautions, which I do follow, and will be following after all this is over. My comment was a tongue in cheek retaliation  because I am fed up of being preached at by those who think they know it all, and think everyone else is thick.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 15:20:28, 02/05/20 »
I wasn't criticising you Ilona, but there are those out there who genuinely are thick - I've seen them, in fact I saw another 2 today,  masks on, ignoring the 2m rule - I'm alright Jack attitude.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 17:02:37, 02/05/20 »
 O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy