Author Topic: First time walkers, staying near Abersoch/Pwllheli - Please help :-)  (Read 5100 times)

wj209980

My fiancee (34) and I (28) have, for the past few years, enjoyed a 1 week holiday at the Pen-Y-Berth caravan site, situated between Abersoch and Pwllheli.

We will be going again the first week of September, and this time around we are looking to take a nice walk - nothing TOO adventerous, probably about 5 miles or so, stopping off somewhere to enjoy a picnic etc.

As this is our first time, and we know NOTHING about this whole walking thing, we'd like something which is mapped out e.g. signs pointing you where to go (I assume there must be places like this?) - I know this probably sounds daft to you real walkers, but I guess you have to start somewhere!

Has anybody got any suggestions about where we should go?  And are there any sites/places where we can find more informaion about it?

Thanks very much in advance

Adam

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
There's some quite good coastal walking in the area, but for real "point and fire" stuff with little prospect of getting lost, there's railway paths around Caernarfon and a North Wales Path and an Anglesey Coastal path not too far way. Get hold of the OS maps - Explorer 253 and 254 and Outdoor Leisure (OL) 17 and OL18 and all will be revealed!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

wj209980

Many thanks for the advice - I will check it out :-)

Skinny Walker

A word of encouragement,

This is how I got my missus addicted, short walks, nice picnics (well more a cup of coffee and a sarnie). I built her up from there.

While you are buying maps might be worth buying a basic compass and reading up on map reading/navigating on the net. That way you can practise this time round on safe paths, and next year when you are more confident try some more rewarding / quiet walks....

What ever you decide you are more than welcome here, you'll not get looked down on regardless of the questions you ask and you will have the advice and experience of some of the most knowlegeable people (myself excluded) I have met (on walking, and in the case of Mike Knipe blackberry recipies).

Good luck.
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

wj209980

Sounds like good advice to me! 

Many thanks :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy