Author Topic: Seathwaite  (Read 2414 times)

snoopdawg

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Seathwaite
« Reply #1 on: 21:54:31, 13/11/17 »
I saw this on the local news earlier, a right bonny mess he's made of those cars. The people who parked the cars obviously didn't leave enough room for a tractor and trailer to get through but perhaps a call to the police to move the cars might have been a better option?  :-\
Hate will never win

tenmilesplus

« Reply #2 on: 00:10:09, 14/11/17 »
The general standard of driver is going downhill so looking at this parking I'm not surprised the cars got damaged, put yourself in the Farmers position, how many times do you think the farmer has come across this and other roads obstructed ? The basic rue is Park out of the way, this is NOT a new rule, if you want to keep it, look after it.. There are far more cars than spaces here, I wouldn't have stopped, I would have gone to another area to walk, I am not a fan of verge parking, the verge gets damaged and brings the area down... The Lake District has got way too busy for my liking, a victim of it's own success I suppose. Sadly Man will only bring destruction, The Parks Authority struggle to keep the Fells in a presentable condition as it is. Sorry I have turned into a rant...

Basically accept responsibility for your actions, don't get in anybodys way, be polite and help one another.. The rest looks after itself..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #3 on: 08:12:03, 14/11/17 »
I think the farmer must have finally lost patience.

Here's an article from a local newspaper back in May.

http://www.cwherald.com/a/archive/farmer-blocks-roadsideverge-with-boulders-to-solve-parking-problem.471981.html

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:23:27, 14/11/17 »
I can see that this is frustrating for the farmer but causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to other peoples property doesn't feel like a proportionate response.

It isn't sheep farming which supports the economy in the Lakes and after we leave the EU farming may be even less lucrative.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:41:38, 14/11/17 »
I saw this on the local news earlier, a right bonny mess he's made of those cars. The people who parked the cars obviously didn't leave enough room for a tractor and trailer to get through but perhaps a call to the police to move the cars might have been a better option?  :-\

Fair comment but many urban dwellers forget that people actually live and work in the countryside and that a farm is basically a food producing factory which operates seven days a week.

It isn't sheep farming which supports the economy in the Lakes    and after we leave the EU farming may be even less lucrative.  

That is debatable.   My home town with a population of 2500 supports three thriving banks from farming income. Barmouth with its tourism income now supports only one bank. The worst time I remember was in 2001 with FMD when the area was literally on its uppers with no money around. As to what will happen if and when we leave the EU nobody knows, The government is sending mixed messages so that farmers are totally unable to plan ahead beyond 2019.  Without hill farming the green pastures of the Peak District and other NPs wil rapidly become overgrown wilderness.  
« Last Edit: 15:53:49, 14/11/17 by Penygadair »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:53:16, 14/11/17 »

Sympathies with the farmer for the crass thoughtlessness of the car drivers but doubt it gave him the legal justification of causing so much damage to property.

Fair comment but many urban dwellers forget that people actually live and work in the countryside and that a farm is   Without hill farming the green pastures of the Peak District and other NPs wil rapidly become overgrown wilderness.

There's a few who view that scenario with some interest.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:46:03, 17/11/17 »
There is no way you would have got a fire engine down the road so all the drivers of those cars were that parked illegally should be charged with obstruction.They can claim for any damages on their insurance.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy