Author Topic: OS maps for my new phone???  (Read 11657 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
OS maps for my new phone???
« on: 10:35:41, 23/08/20 »
I've finally bitten the bullet, I'm pensioning off my old Windows phone (I know...) in favour of a new Android.

Can I get OS maps free anywhere? Or with a low-cost app?
I had two apps with 1:25k maps on my WP but so far I've not seen any equivalent for Android.
I seem to remember recommendations for ViewRanger in old threads on here, but I've since seen the maps are £24.99 a year, which I would rather avoid paying, or any other subscription.

So, any ideas please? And I do mean 'proper' maps like the paper ones, not the OS digital version.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: OS maps for my new phone???
« Reply #1 on: 11:16:38, 23/08/20 »
Your last sentence confuses me.  I have the OS app on my phone and OS maps on my gps.  They look the same as the paper maps to me but have the advantage of being able to be enlarged (useful for close up navigation).  I would have thought that these days the paper maps and the digital maps come from the same digital source.
Solvitur Ambulando

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 12:20:22, 23/08/20 »
I have never seen then in a reliable free form. Memory Map is the cheapest that I am aware of https://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps/2020-memory-map-os-explorer-1-25-000-great-britain

Lifetime download is £150 and £60 for 1: 50,000

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:48:35, 23/08/20 »
Can I get OS maps free anywhere? Or with a low-cost app?...

I sincerely hope not.

I paid a couple of hundred pounds for full UK OS mapping for my GPS handheld, and we subscribe to OS Maps online at a significant cost.

I know that if others get the maps for nothing it makes no actual difference to me, but it's the principle!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:23:25, 23/08/20 »
If you have a data signal try https://www.bing.com/maps/  It will not tell you where you are or plot routes but it does have free OS mapping.  Select OS by clicking on the Roads button - top left.  50 and 25 thou available by zooming.
« Last Edit: 13:26:43, 23/08/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:27:45, 23/08/20 »
Hi Fernman. Try https://www.walklakes.co.uk/maps/
It is free to use and a wonderful app. It gives total ascent , descent , mileage , naismith (if that rocks your boat) and a profile to view .

It shows OS mapping in 1:50k and 1:25k . I use it to plot walks and print off . You cannot use it in conjunction with a phone or tablet to walk with in real time though . Ie as a GPS .  Although I seem to remember questions/talk about that in one of their forums .

The owners ask you to donate if you feel that it is worth it . No fixed amount.

You can upload and download plotted routes . I plot a route , screen grab it then download as a jpeg then print off. I then use my little Etrex 20x with the route on , and the printed tile to give me the big picture , in case I want to detour or just scan the horizon and be able to name places/hills etc. Depending on the area on the OS map I have actually printed .
I used to use the OS mapping app but found that I was always using my etrex anyway as it is unobtrusive in so many ways. I purchased some great mapping from Talky Toaster for my E trex . I paid as it is more detailed than the free Open source mapping it is derived from and when zoomed in it gives more and clearer detail instead of degrading/pixellating .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:25:57, 23/08/20 »
Many thanks for the suggestions posted so far.

@ ninthace: I have seen OS digital maps in the past that showed contour lines, footpaths, etc, but they looked something like Open Street Map (but better). Definitely digital and differing from the paper maps. Perhaps things have changed since then?

@ ninthace and Gin & Platonic: I know of WalkLakes and OS maps on Bing, I have those bookmarked on my pc, but they are both websites.

What I was hoping for is something like the two apps I have on my old phone, one free and one about £7, which when opened show you an OS map centered on wherever in the country you happen to be standing at that moment.
They both have the disadvantage that there is no map if you don't have a signal, and while the paid one opens on 1:25k, the free one opens on OS 1:50k but when you zoom in to 1:25k it moves off centre so you lose your precise position.
Perhaps there is something to be said for the Windows Phone after all!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:58:16, 23/08/20 »
The OS app will give you current mapping with a fully zoomable map.  There is no loss of image quality at the limit of zoom.  You can also have a compass tape underneath the map. You can download routes and mapping directly to your phone so you will not need a signal for it to work. It does require a subscription.  Just divide it by the number of walks you do. The more you walk, the cheaper per walk it gets and you get access to literally thousands of routes to choose from (nearly 500 of them are mine  O0 ).  The OS app will not record a track while following a route.

ViewRanger is free and has adequate mapping except for willd country IMHO.  The mapping can be downloaded for off line use.  As you know, you have to pay to get OS mapping but you can amortise the cost.  Upload the routes you have walked to VR and people will download them.  This can earn you credits.  These credits can be used to pay for you OS subscription.  That is how I got the mapping for my NZ trips.  As a walking tool, I prefer VR to OS and vice versa for planning.  I have both on my phone but I do not have OS mapping on VR so I do not pay twice.  If I want an OS picture, I flip between apps.  The VR app will record a track while following a route.  It also has a good post walk analysis function if that is your thing.  Again lots of downloadable routes  (465 of them are mine), with off line mapping.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:56:59, 23/08/20 »
Two things I need to clarify:

I'm not interested in copying routes or making my own, I would just like OS maps that I can look at as I do when I'm away somewhere for example. The apps I have now have been useful for seeing my way from A to B when I've been in an area unfamiliar to me, and I've even stopped while driving and looked at the 1:50k to fine tune my directions when close to my destination.

Any subscription would be difficult to me. The same applies to the comments by Apache and WhitstableDave, what they paid is big money for me. My personal income only just lasts from one month to another, and the £200 I spent on a budget phone was only made possible by not buying petrol during lockdown.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:22:10, 23/08/20 »
Bing at least allows location access, which would be a starter as it would give you a 25000 OS map centred on your location, but as I said - it requires a data signal which may be an issue depending on your phone contract.  I have PAYG so I avoid downloads away from wifi where possible. Zooming out will give you the 50k map of the area.  It also has a directions function for finding your way from A to B.
Beyond that it is difficult.  OS mapping is copyrighted and tied down fairly tightly.  I know of websites where OS mapping can be had I have not heard of an app where their data is free to download for off line use.

Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:43:29, 23/08/20 »
Thanks for that info ninthace, I wasn't aware of Bing's location finder. With BT I'm not often without BT Wifi, BT with FON, et al, wherever I go, while I scarcely dent my mothly data allowance.
So it looks like Bing will be the way to go for me. I shall look into it fully when I eventually get up and running (ref. Reply #2362 in The Small Rant Thread).

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:01:40, 23/08/20 »
Well I am on my first month of my first smartphone (£99.95) and I wont be abandoning my paper maps, no never!  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:20:35, 23/08/20 »
I use Backcountry, the paid-for one (a once-only payment) I think it's about £14 nowadays? It OS for the UK from Bing and its designed for Android phones. I've used it for a number of years and have never had a problem. It has a compass, in fact two, one a full one, the other a half one. You can follow your route, you can do stats (I've never used it) you can download maps and you can use it in other countries if you wish. I started off by using the Backcountry free app and when I knew I was satisfied that this was the one, I bought it. I could have easiliy lived with the free appy but I must have had the urge to spend that day? I also prefer a one-off payment to a yearly subscription, much cheaper.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:24:01, 23/08/20 »
I like your price, there are so many good phones around these days, even the cheaper ones.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:38:42, 23/08/20 »
I use Backcountry, the paid-for one (a once-only payment) I think it's about £14 nowadays? It OS for the UK from Bing and its designed for Android phones. I've used it for a number of years and have never had a problem. It has a compass, in fact two, one a full one, the other a half one. You can follow your route, you can do stats (I've never used it) you can download maps and you can use it in other countries if you wish. I started off by using the Backcountry free app and when I knew I was satisfied that this was the one, I bought it. I could have easiliy lived with the free appy but I must have had the urge to spend that day? I also prefer a one-off payment to a yearly subscription, much cheaper.

I have just downloaded Back Country Navigator and yes it does show OS mapping clearly and you can zoom right in without loss of detail . It shows exactly where you are as long as you have data I suppose . I wonder how much data it would use though if it was on for 6 hours say..
You might want to check it out Fernman. I was looking at the free option . So as GWM says it is very good , especially for the initial no outlay option .. O0 
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy