Author Topic: TR Black Braes, Mozie Law, Little Ward Law and Barrow Law Wed 8 Jul 20  (Read 895 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We walked from the campsite along the road to Rowhope Burn and we started the ascent to the border ridge up Hindside Knowe. It was hot in the sun but windy again

On the way to Rowhope Burn

On the way up Hindside Knowe on the path known as The Street

Tindale Law left above the road to Blindburn

The view of our descent down to Trows from the day before

Shorthope Hill is on the right with Windy Gyle in the middle of the shot

The view south east from Hindside Knowe

Carshope Plantation left, Broadside Law in the middle

Looking down at Carshope

Still a long way to the border ridge

On the descent of Swineside Law, Black Braes ahead

We hadn't climbed it mind, the path circles around the flank of it on the right. I'd spotted cattle and lots of them to the left of us on the hillsides we had planned to come down off the ridge later. They were on Lamb Hill and Yearning Law so I started thinking of an alternate route to avoid them. The walk was long enough as it was and it could add another 2 or 3 miles if we came down over Deels Hill.

Looking back at Swineside Law from Black Braes

Windy Gyle

The Schill, The Cheviot and Windy Gyle from the path to Mozie Law

Mozie Law summit

Lunch time view, north into Scotland

Well we were already in Scotland as we had dropped down over the other side of the border fence to get out of the wind for lunch. We were tired it had seemed much longer than the 4.5 miles we'd walked so far. During lunch we decided to avoid the cows and not go over Beefstand Hill and Lamb Hill but head east toward Windy Gyle and descend to Barrowburn via Little Ward Law and Barrow Law

View south from the border ridge path

On the way to Windy Gyle, this time from the west

The Schill and The Cheviot

On the Windy Gyle bypass path

We felt pretty jaded so we didn't go on the summit

Middle Hill and Shillhope Law from Little Ward Law

Murder Cleugh

The shot is a little blurred because the grass was dancing about in the wind. The sign says "Murder Cleugh, Here in 1610, Robert Lumsden killed Isabella Sudden". A google revealed he only spent a month in prison  :o

On Barrow Law

We spotted cattle ahead near the path. We couldn't believe it after we had changed the route to avoid the cows from earlier and we were less than a mile from Barrowburn Farm. The cattle turned out to be 2 young males that were very timid but curious. They had moved out of the way as we descended the path but peeped over the edge of the hill to keep looking at us, they were cute.

On the descent of Barrow Law

Almost back to Barrowburn Farm

Can you spot our tent under the trees? It is in a beautiful setting this campsite but it has basic facilities compared to some of the posher campsites we have stayed on. We were tired by the time we got back but it had been a grand day out. Our route was Barrowburn Farm - Rowhope Burn - The Street - Black Braes - Mozie Law - Windy Gyle bypass - Scotchman's Ford - Little Ward Law - Murder Cluegh - Barrow Law - Barrowburn Farm. 9.9 miles with 631m ascent. We left Barrowburn just after 9am the following day to drive back home. We felt too tired to do another walk! We will be back to the Cheviots again but we may wild camp the next time, we do prefer that to staying on campsites.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Was another cracking day out,  cows are on the banned list, this list is getting rather long eh ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed that and all the photos. Useful to know.

You may have read I'm attempting to walk Pennine Way on day walks, have this walk from Barrowburn or Blindburn car parks as possibilities to get up to it. Is it hard going or was it down to the windy conditions?

What was the road like to drive along? Heard this is the better road to get along towards Chew Green, from Alwinton.

(Have walked up to Chew Green and southwards to the spur to The Cheviot, so the gap between is to fill)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely rolling green hills  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Was another cracking day out,  cows are on the banned list, this list is getting rather long eh ;D

It can be as long as it needs to be  :D

You may have read I'm attempting to walk Pennine Way on day walks, have this walk from Barrowburn or Blindburn car parks as possibilities to get up to it. Is it hard going or was it down to the windy conditions?

You can get up to the Pennine Way on day walks from Barrowburn and Blindburn. What I have always called the border ridge is where the Pennine Way is and we walked along it on part of our walks. The walks are ok really, we did 9 and 10 miles walks but you could make a longer route if you feel like a longer walk. We felt tired because we were on our 5th and 6th days of day walks, normally we would find them ok.

There is a good website detailing walks in the link below if you don't know about it.
http://www.cheviotwalks.org/

What was the road like to drive along? Heard this is the better road to get along towards Chew Green, from Alwinton.

The road from Alwinton to Barrowburn/Blindburn is very narrow in places but there are plenty of passing places for the most of it except for one place between Shillmoor and Bygate Hall Cottages where you have your fingers crossed that a vehicle doesn't come toward you. There is a bit of a drop to the River Coquet and one of you will have to reverse :) I have always used this road to get there so I can't give a comparison to any other route.

Lovely rolling green hills  O0

I hope you get as good views when you do your PW  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I hope you get as good views when you do your PW  :)
That's not for ages yet April, I don't know why some people are always going on about it  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
You have been busy, April. Great report.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April    :)    I like the landscape of rolling hills

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Thanks for all the info April, there's plenty to look through on The Cheviot link!

April

• Veteran Member
That's not for ages yet April, I don't know why some people are always going on about it  ;)

;D

You have been busy, April. Great report.

We have and I still could post another 3 trip reports  :o I don't have time in the next few days, I may post one more of the last walk we did on Sunday.

I like the landscape of rolling hills

Thanks Dovegirl, it is what I remember when I think of The Cheviots and where I did most of my walking when I lived in the north east.

Thanks for all the info April, there's plenty to look through on The Cheviot link!

You are welcome, Geoff Holland, the website author, also has a book - Walks in the Cheviots or is The Cheviot Hills? which is also very good.

E2A The book I was really thinking of was by Edward Baker - Walking The Cheviots  ;D Almost 50 walks in it.
« Last Edit: 19:33:52, 15/07/20 by April »
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Stop victimising cows!  ;D
You had more solitude than I got near Buckden, nice one  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
Another nice report April plus a +1 for the lovely rolling green hills  :)

April

• Veteran Member
Stop victimising cows!  ;D

;D I've had trouble with cattle before up here, nearby on Copper Snout as have other people. I wasn't sure how the cattle we saw would react to Squeaky, best to be careful and avoid them but they probably would have been fine. You just never know.

+1 for the lovely rolling green hills  :)

:) It is lovely
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy