Author Topic: Scafell pike, broad crag, III crag and scafell.  (Read 1617 times)

Leicesterhiker

Happy new year to all, (Covid dependant) we are planning on doing a hike upto scafell pike later this year. We want to hit the 4 main summits, being Scafell pike, Broad crag, III crag and scafell in one hit. Most likely starting from Wast water. Has anyone got any recommended routes and is this do-able. We are all round fit lads with a decent amount of hiking experience. Just need a good recommended route.
Thanks,
Harry.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell pike, broad crag, III crag and scafell.
« Reply #1 on: 10:58:02, 11/01/21 »
Hi and welcome. 

Yes that is very doable.  I have walked those in a day with my son. Just a few years back.

We stayed at Burnthwait Farm in Wasdale Head.  The route we choose was to start up Ligmell Beck to Great end, which we scrambled up via Cust Gully, it was more of a water fall than a gully on the day.  From Great End we made our way through the fog to Ill Grag then across the clitter to Broad Crag. Then on to the path and up to the Cairn at Scafell Pike.  Next it was down to Mickledore , around the base of BroadStand, ( too wet for us to consider on the day) and up to the mid point of Lords Rake, where we branched left into the heart of the mountain and followed the track that comes out at Symonds Knot. Then an easy walk to Scafell, where we finally got a view, as the clouds briefly parted for us.   We took the full Lords Rake route back down and finally followed the tourist steps/path back to the pub.

Even on a pretty poor day we enjoyed it immensely.  It's not a straight forward route, there is scree and scrambling involved, but nothing too difficult in decent weather.  On a wet day though I would not attempt Cust Gully without a rope.  I gather it is easy enough to go around, but I have not done that bit.

Hope you get the Opportunity to do it. 

Plenty of more local folk here to offer you further advice so I will sign off for now.

EDIT:- A plot of our route can be found here.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/2482213/Scafell-with-Edd

And after a little searching I found a trip report for that walk, on a car forum I frequent far too much. Ignore the car bits unless like me you love driving too.

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=109200&p=1579830&hilit=gully#p1579830

Enjoy. :)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:24:35, 11/01/21 »
I’ve not done that particular route, but have been in the area a couple of times. It looks like quite a doable moderate to strenuous day. There’s not actually too much descent/reascent between Great End and Scafell Pike, so it’s a great route with great views.  It’s really only the final dip and out of Mickledore that’s likely to be tiring if you do the Foxes route.  Lords Rake looks more fun, but I’ve not done that.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:48:12, 12/01/21 »
Did that walk many years ago (36 years ago, to be precise  :o ).

Avoid Broad Stand unless you are a rock climber. I had a very scary experience soloing it.

Not sure what I think about Lords Rake - there is some evidence that a big section of the cliff above is shifting and may collapse. But it could be decades before this happens. Who knows?

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:56:04, 12/01/21 »
Did that walk many years ago (36 years ago, to be precise  :o ).

Avoid Broad Stand unless you are a rock climber. I had a very scary experience soloing it.

Not sure what I think about Lords Rake - there is some evidence that a big section of the cliff above is shifting and may collapse. But it could be decades before this happens. Who knows?

We had hoped to climb broad stand.  We had a 30m rope and a few slings with us.  One look at what we could see of the starting move in the thick fog and rain and we headed around to Lords Rake. ;)  That is one exposed move on wet rock in walking boots.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:44:21, 12/01/21 »
..and welcome to the forum, Harry from Leicester  :)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:36:14, 13/01/21 »

I'll second that warning.

Broad Stand is one of Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team's principal accident black spots. Their website says: 'Broad Stand is an extremely dangerous area which has unfortunately seen a number of fatalities.'

I've passed below Broad Stand several times (on one occasion with a member of WMT) and watched climbers ascend it - the 'unforgiving landing in the event of a fall' is very evident.

Broad Stand is best avoided by the average walker IMO.
Skip

Leicesterhiker

« Reply #7 on: 19:57:05, 14/01/21 »
Thanks for all the responses and advice, much appreciated !

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:01:51, 14/01/21 »
I'll second that warning.

Broad Stand is one of Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team's principal accident black spots.

..the other being Piers Gill.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:42:33, 15/01/21 »
Hi Leicesterhiker and welcome to the forum.  Just adding that if, as BuzyG says, conditions are damp and you decide to avoid Cust Gully, the Band of Great End is an enjoyable route up - there are a couple of TRs on here which describe the route, as it is not shown on OS maps, April did one a few years back (I think), and there should be a forum write up from 2019 too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy