Author Topic: Walking in the Rain  (Read 3046 times)

Rigel

Re: Walking in the Rain
« Reply #15 on: 22:33:08, 28/04/20 »
I especially like the rustling noise that clammy waterproof trousers make. A perfect day would be traipsing around in heavy rain and a moderate gale wrapping people's hair around their faces. The longer the hair, the more face wraps. It could only be topped if a cold snap turned everybody's legs the colour of corned beef.

« Last Edit: 22:38:11, 28/04/20 by Rigel »

Toxicbunny

« Reply #16 on: 23:02:42, 28/04/20 »
I especially like the rustling noise that clammy waterproof trousers make. A perfect day would be traipsing around in heavy rain and a moderate gale wrapping people's hair around their faces. The longer the hair, the more face wraps. It could only be topped if a cold snap turned everybody's legs the colour of corned beef.

Corned beef legs  ;D  I've never heard that before.  However I've had them many times. The worst occasion climbing helm crag in hailstones and wind. Hailstones were not forecast and I'd left my waterproofs.  Needless to say I had corned beef legs for hours after.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 23:07:11, 28/04/20 »
Wandering around in clammy waterproofs with steamed up glasses - whats to like?  These days I avoid the rain if at all possible - one of the joys of retirement.

I like walking in the rain. Rainy days are quite rare here in the south-east and I like to make the most of them.

I've got decent waterproofs that don't get clammy and I don't wear glasses, so I can simply enjoy all of the things Mel talked about.

Oh yes, and because all the fair-weather walkers stay indoors, the countryside is a quieter, more peaceful place.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Pitboot

« Reply #18 on: 23:09:59, 28/04/20 »
Wife and I just went for a half mile around the block before bedtime. Light rain, no one around but a police van on patrol, it was great!
I often get strange reactions when I tell people that I prefer a rainy day to a sunny one, so I've given up trying to justify my preference.

Rigel

« Reply #19 on: 02:33:33, 29/04/20 »

Corned beef legs  ;D  I've never heard that before.  However I've had them many times. The worst occasion climbing helm crag in hailstones and wind. Hailstones were not forecast and I'd left my waterproofs.  Needless to say I had corned beef legs for hours after.

It sounds like a super smashing great day. I'm probably surprised there isn't already a dedicated thread so people can showcase their corned beefed legs and wind-wrapped hairdos. I think there should be an official corned beefed grading system much like scrambling or climbing. If legs stay corned beefed for 12 hours or more they should be officially graded as 'finest' corned beef. And if the legs were tinned, it would have a Royal warrant of approval by Her Majesty The Queen!

And wind-wrapped hair needs to be graded also. If a Marlinspike was used to unfasten the hair off the face, it should be graded as 'very difficult'
« Last Edit: 09:18:24, 29/04/20 by Rigel »

Toxicbunny

« Reply #20 on: 09:57:05, 29/04/20 »

It sounds like a super smashing great day. I'm probably surprised there isn't already a dedicated thread so people can showcase their corned beefed legs and wind-wrapped hairdos. I think there should be an official corned beefed grading system much like scrambling or climbing. If legs stay corned beefed for 12 hours or more they should be officially graded as 'finest' corned beef. And if the legs were tinned, it would have a Royal warrant of approval by Her Majesty The Queen!

And wind-wrapped hair needs to be graded also. If a Marlinspike was used to unfasten the hair off the face, it should be graded as 'very difficult'
Great idea  ;D   

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:49:22, 29/04/20 »
The rain is just another element to fill the senses and remind us all what we are and where we are.  Intelligent Animals, fortunate to be free to roam much of our planet.

Personally I love being out in the rain now I can't swim in the cold ocean. I do sometimes get a slightly perverse pleasure from seeing the miserable look on the face of other ramblers when it's really wet and blowing a hooley.  I think those conditions must remind my ageing brain of the Adrenalin filled days falling down the face of huge waves and being battered by spray. What ever the cause it it something that I genuinely enjoy much of the time.  Though like any strenuous activity, not all of the time. ;)
« Last Edit: 12:53:17, 29/04/20 by BuzyG »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:56:58, 29/04/20 »

Great idea.  Why don't you start one off with pics of your corned beef legs and feral hair from some of your local lockdown walks?  O0

Doddy

« Reply #23 on: 13:00:14, 29/04/20 »
In the US in 2004 I was in the rain spin of Hurricane Ivan. (Over there I have since been in rain spins of another Hurricane and a Tropical Storm)
In 2004 on the Appalachian Trail in the hurricane spin I was holed up in a triple garage made into small hostel. With three others we  watching the rain, which was biblical. After three days the rain slowed a bit and I had had enough of sitting around and ventured out. At a road crossing I was struggling to find the trail route opposite when fortunately a snow plough came by taking mud off the road and the driver told me of the trail location.
The tiny streams were now torrents and I tried to cross the first stream with a branch for assistance but soon gave up as I was in danger of being swept off my feet. I then remembered talking with my walking buddy about a higher trail which was not on my maps, I managed to find that and came to a shelter several hours later. About two hours after that my buddy turned up, wide eyed and said he stuck to the low trail but had to cross eleven streams some by swimming; he was in his twenties, ex-military, fresh from Bosnia, so I guess up to it. We walked seven weeks together.
Later we saw in the local press various estimates of between 11 and 22 inches of rain in the three day period.

On Offas Dyke Path in a rain storm, on a road section covered with about an inch of water, I was passed walking in the other direction by
a goose and string of goslings; I told them were just taking the p*iss.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:17:01, 29/04/20 »
I'm probably surprised there isn't already a dedicated thread so people can showcase their corned beefed legs and wind-wrapped hairdos

Ah, but from what I've surmised, how many here have enough (or any to speak of) to get wind-wrapped?  :)
(ducks behind the chair...).
As for corned beef legs, please, some here may have a delicate disposition  :)

I would mention a significant (to me) distinction about rain: I don't mind if it starts raining part way through a walk, it's an obvious and accepted part of hillwalking, however I loathe setting off in the rain. There's something really depressing about it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:29:26, 29/04/20 »

I would mention a significant (to me) distinction about rain: I don't mind if it starts raining part way through a walk, it's an obvious and accepted part of hillwalking, however I loathe setting off in the rain. There's something really depressing about it.

Interesting, I'm fine setting off into a storm.  Much prefer to be blow dried before I have to pack my gear up into the boot of the car at the end though.

Rigel

« Reply #26 on: 15:49:24, 29/04/20 »

Great idea.  Why don't you start one off with pics of your corned beef legs and feral hair from some of your local lockdown walks?  O0

I will put a picture of legs in my new to forum thread.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #27 on: 17:06:19, 29/04/20 »
We have had no rain for some time up North. It has now arrived and tanking it down. I have to go out in it as my dog needs two good walks a day. One benefit is apart from cows , horses and sheep the only person out in this weather will be me and my dog  :-[

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:44:42, 29/04/20 »
Chance of a gale here, it is already raining hard.
I thought the New Scientist article I posted up in the 'Talk about Jogging' thread summed it all up nicely.

When looking and comparing at rainfall, a simple mean annual value tell you very little.
You have to look at the probability of intensities.  Or in English, how likely is it to: not rain, drizzle, light rain, moderate rain, heavy rain, torrential or tropical rain.

In the couple of minutes it has taken me to write this, it has changed to a proper gale with heavy rain.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:47:00, 29/04/20 »
We have had no rain for some time up North. It has now arrived and tanking it down. I have to go out in it as my dog needs two good walks a day. One benefit is apart from cows , horses and sheep the only person out in this weather will be me and my dog  :-[ .

And me.  It's absolutely flinging it down here now and I have some new (not so new now) waterproof legs to gear test so I'm off out in it too [happy dance emoji].  I expect my People Count to be zero.  I don't expect to have corned beef legs due to the fact that I've not shaved them for a month but I do already have feral hair. With a bit of luck I'll soon be able to plait it in with my beard and create a face mask...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy