Author Topic: Magnets and compasses  (Read 1271 times)

Salop

Magnets and compasses
« on: 15:13:49, 19/02/20 »
Hi All,

Has anyone had issues with their compass after it was in proximity of a magnetic bit of kit, i.e. Phone, magnet in gloves, torches etc. ?

I'm just trying to get a handle of how much of an issue it really is.

Thanks  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Magnets and compasses
« Reply #1 on: 15:20:40, 19/02/20 »
Can end up with the polarity reversed, so best to keep the two separate  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:44:01, 19/02/20 »
Look out for mobile phones.  The speaker itself can have a fairly powerful magnet and if you have a phone case with a magnetic catch, it can be an absolute doozy. The catch on mine is powerful enough to lift up the newer copper coins, let alone affect a compass.  If I pass my phone case over a coin on the bar it is mine!  ;)
The same can be true of tablets.  My iPad has a magnetic switch in the case.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:13:33, 19/02/20 »
Has anyone had issues with their compass after it was in proximity of a magnetic bit of kit, i.e. Phone, magnet in gloves, torches etc. ?

Yes, my phone case has a magnetic clasp and I made the mistake of stowing it in the same rucksack pocket as my compass. Discovered the consequences on top of Ben Hope in the mist!

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37057.0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:54:48, 19/02/20 »
Started hearing stories of this happening a few years ago when smartphones first came out. Never heard of it before that, but it's definitely happening more and more. O
I keep my phone and GPS in the lid pocket of my pack and my compass in my thigh pocket

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:35:44, 19/02/20 »
. . . I'm just trying to get a handle of how much of an issue it really is . . .
In the cadet force at school I was taught never to store a compass next to ferrous metal or near a magnetic field.

Virtually all electrical devices generate a magnetic field (so do fixed magnets, of course). So avoid watches, car keys, mobile phones and chargers, radio speakers, electricity power lines and so on.

Skip

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:51:37, 19/02/20 »
Forgot to add - it is not an issue for me.  I have a compass in the hip belt of my backpack but I have not used it in anger since 2011 when I got my first gps.  Now I have a gps unit and 2 navigation apps on my phone. my watch and the sun plus my own innate sense of direction.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:00:20, 20/02/20 »
Keep it away from gorillapod legs too  >:(

Salop

« Reply #8 on: 12:44:01, 21/02/20 »
Thanks all, feedback was handy.

I've always been of the opinion magnets should be avoided in walking kit and the responses have helped me solidify my view  ;D

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:52:01, 06/04/20 »
I once had a group doing navigation and one of the girls kept going off. After watching her for a bit, it was clear she wasn't doing anything wrong. So I checked her compass and it matched mine (and everyone else's). I did the usual check for phone, lumps of metal, whatever in her pockets. Nothing.
Eventually, we tracked it down to a magnetic clip for her water tube to her rucksack strap.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Deolman

« Reply #10 on: 00:00:45, 08/04/20 »
Some years ago, for reasons unknown, my compass reversed polarity. I was able to correct it by using a strong magnet and stroking the compass needle.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy