Author Topic: What do you carry on the outside of your rucksack?  (Read 3112 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you carry on the outside of your rucksack?
« Reply #30 on: 09:39:45, 16/03/20 »
Generally don't like having things on the outside of my rucksack. Obviously things like skis, ice axes won't fit inside so have to go on the outside. Wet tents are another thing I don't want on top of my dry sleeping bag, so that is often on the outside. Likewise wet shoes if I'm crossings rivers or the like. Sometimes a camera clipping to my shoulder strap. Hat, gloves, tracker and a few other bits in the mesh pockets, but don't really class that as outside. I keep my compass in my thigh pocket to keep in away from my phone which will normally be in my rucksack lid pocket.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 01:18:38, 17/03/20 »
Only thing I can ever recall attaching to the out side is my ice Axe.  I have pockets for everything else.  I stuff my sit mat in the net on the back, but then that tucks under the top pocket so is not on the out side.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:47:35, 27/03/20 »
I often tie my (lightweight) tent on the outside of my pack because that way I can move heavier stuff (like food) closer to my back, making it a more comfortable carry. Another advantage is that when I pack my wet tent in the morning, I keep the inside of my pack dry. Also, when I pitch my tent in the pouring rain I don't have to open my pack first.

The other thing I carry on the outside of my pack on long multi-day wilderness walks is a small solar panel that I tie on then top of my pack and charges my powerbank while walking.

River crossing shoes also go on the outside when wet.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:48:32, 27/03/20 »

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:48:43, 27/03/20 »

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:56:46, 27/03/20 »
Pouch for GPS receiver on shoulder strap
Pouch for mobile phone on other shoulder strap
Walking poles
Map in map case under elastic shock cords I put between the little loops on top of the rucksack. I usually walk with someone and if I need to look at the map, they can quickly remove it without me having to remove the rucksack. Can't stand having the map case flapping about on a cord!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 19:17:13, 06/04/20 »
Can't stand having the map case flapping about on a cord!
I totally get that. Out of interest, why attach the map to the bag not to yourself (eg. in a pocket)?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

AB_Shrewhiker9

« Reply #37 on: 15:24:42, 26/05/20 »

Boots and Paras and wannabes all sported the karabiner attached somewhere on the bergen/webbing. I never saw one deployed in over thirty years in uniform.
Having said that, when you next go out without one you will really need it, so keep wearing it. ;)

Used mine a few times for attaching to other bergens when doing a river crossing - the only time I ever used it though and definitely could have gone inside, I'm guessing we thought it looked "ally" back then.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 15:42:17, 26/05/20 »
I carry a Krab on one of the waist belt gear loops on my Deuter 35+ and 45+, normally use it to hook my gloves or hat to when I feel the need to cool down a little.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy