Author Topic: Lakeland Lockdown  (Read 26302 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Lakeland Lockdown
« Reply #90 on: 19:55:28, 05/04/20 »
Confirmed cases are the tip of the iceberg but are the only guide we have.  Despite centres such as Carlisle, which is not actually that big, Cumbria is one of the least populated counties in England.  For comparison, Devon excluding Plymouth and Torbay, which are separate Authorities, has 207 cases in a population of 795,000.

OK. I wonder if it's concentrated in centres in Cumbria rather than being dispersed? I know of no way of telling.

Some infection boffin said it's basically guaranteed 4 out of 5 of us will get it now anyway, so I'm thinking we can probably only control when, not so much if?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 19:56:54, 05/04/20 »
OK. I wonder if it's concentrated in centres in Cumbria rather than being dispersed? I know of no way of telling.

Some infection boffin said it's basically guaranteed 4 out of 5 of us will get it now anyway, so I'm thinking we can probably only control when, not so much if?
The answer is no but take it to another thread Rob
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 17:47:14, 06/04/20 »
Day 13 - 5th April 2020

A 3 mile evening walk up Hampsfell today. I lugged my inherited bulky digital zoom camera up the hill, an unpleasant walking companion banging against me in it's shoulder bag. Waste of time, as clouds to the west ruined any chance of a sunset. Tried out the camera anyway, a telephoto shot of Scafell peeping out between Dow Crag and Coniston Old Man.

Monochrome as I inadvertently had the camera set on some 'Advanced' function! D'oh.

Day 14 - 6th April 2020

Up early and out the door at around 0630, the morning bright after overnight rain, again lugging the zoom camera in anticipation of some decent telephoto shots of distant hills. But as I climbed up Fell End, I realised that it was not to be - the air was really 'thick', for want of a better word, and visibility was poor, despite the clouds clearing. Well at least I had the camera under control in a rucksack this time - where it stayed, as my phone camera is much more convenient to use.

A watery sun peeps out from behind the clouds. No view of Ingleborough behind Arnside Knott today!

Tess investigating a hole beneath the Fell End cairn

Hawthorns silhouetted against the morning sun

More windswept hawthorns in the morning sun

After climbing the last stile before the Hospice, my attention was drawn to some wind sculpted hawthorns on a limestone terrace leading around the western edge of the summit plateau, so I took a wander. I re-joined the main path skirting the limestone pavement, and had a poke around....

Limestone Pavement thrown into relief by the morning sun

The secret world of Grykes - Ferns, Ramsons and Dog's Mercury

Instead of dropping off down to the east along the public bridleway, my normal route, I struck off to the north, looking for a path that is hinted at on the 1:25000 OS map. I couldn't find the path, but my wandering took me into a less frequented area, with juniper growing in the limestone pavement. But I was bought to a halt by a well built limestone wall - I looked for a stile but no joy, and I had to pick my carefully westwards over patches of limestone pavement, before dropping down to the kissing gate in the wall and the right of way heading north into Hampsfell Allotment, the northern slopes of Hampsfell. This area was like a 'Lost World', different in character to the more open land to the north. I am told that there were some conifers on these slopes, but they were cleared some years ago, and a few cows are used to keep the vegetation down a bit - they are doing so with a light touch. I climbed back eastwards over a limestone escarpment into the Lost World of pavement, juniper, holly, yew, the vegetation getting thicker the further east I went.

An orchid on the limestone slopes - I'll be back to see it in flower.

One of many juniper trees growing on the limestone pavement

The Lost World

Natural topiary - what do you think that this cow nibbled yew tree looks like?

As I headed north the ground dropped away slowly, and the trees grew in height. I eventually hit the remains of an old track which took me north westwards and re-joined the public footpath that descends the north western flank of the hill. This is a worthwhile path in it's own right, following a limestone terrace and giving fine views of the Cartmel valley below. I passed through the kissing gate again, having completed a loop, and took the bridleway eastwards over the northern shoulder of Hampsfell, descending to Eggerslack Woods. Time to go home for my breakfast!

Dogs Mercury forming a green carpet in Eggerslack Woods - unfortunately the flowers have no petals.

Stitchwort in a hedgerow beside Spring Bank Road

Blackthorn hedge in flower

6 miles - an excellent start to the day, despite the lack of distant views.

Today's route                                                   Copyright opentopomap.com
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 17:54:07, 06/04/20 »
Great stuff Richard  O0 The views to the LD fells are still very hazy I noticed on the way home.
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 18:23:49, 06/04/20 »
More grand pics Richard O0
I bet that cow nibbled topiary would frighten you to death if you stumbled across it on a misty day  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 20:35:04, 06/04/20 »
Thanks April, Karl  :)

I would be more worried about breaking my leg in a gryke!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 20:56:24, 06/04/20 »
More lovely photos Richard O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 20:58:52, 06/04/20 »
Thanks April, Karl  :)

I would be more worried about breaking my leg in a gryke!
That limestone can get surprisingly slippery when wet.  Nice pics again  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 21:21:40, 06/04/20 »
Thanks Tracey, Ninthace.

Yes, wet limestone can be deadly. I did some forestry work on Whitbarrow earlier this year, repeatedly carrying an armful of logs over wet moss covered limestone pavement is not my idea of fun, and requires great care!

..but strangely, this does not apply in caves - no algae, you see. Active stream passages are great fun!
Note to self - must take my sons down Dow Cave or Upper Long Churn Cave when the lockdown lifts.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 21:28:11, 06/04/20 »
Thanks Tracey, Ninthace.

Yes, wet limestone can be deadly. I did some forestry work on Whitbarrow earlier this year, repeatedly carrying an armful of logs over wet moss covered limestone pavement is not my idea of fun, and requires great care!

..but strangely, this does not apply in caves - no algae, you see. Active stream passages are great fun!
Note to self - must take my sons down Dow Cave or Upper Long Churn Cave when the lockdown lifts.
I've done those, great fun.  I think it was one of those that I walked through the exit chamber without realising it until I looked up and saw stars.  We had been down so long the sun had set.  I can say from experience that several hours in a wet cave is a great way of breaking in a new set of boots.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 21:51:02, 06/04/20 »
Lovely pictures Richard, like the silhouetted trees particularly.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 06:21:37, 07/04/20 »
Thanks Ridge - I have a thing about trees after living in Orkney for 17 years!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 17:06:22, 07/04/20 »
All this limestone pavement is making me hanker after a trip to the Dales after all this is over.

Did Tess find what she was looking for under that cairn?

I'm enjoying these updates so keep 'em up  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 18:38:23, 07/04/20 »
I love that first, monochrome pic of the hills.  Isn't it often the unplanned shot that turns out best.
Also like the low sun across the limestone pavement.

Re the orchid leaves - saw my first Early Purple a couple of days ago.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 18:52:14, 07/04/20 »
All this limestone pavement is making me hanker after a trip to the Dales after all this is over.

Did Tess find what she was looking for under that cairn?

I'm enjoying these updates so keep 'em up  O0

Thanks Mel - plenty of limestone pavement in Cumbria too.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy