Author Topic: hi, just wondered if theres any Camino de Santiago hikers  (Read 1415 times)

firstcamino

hi, my name is andy and i'm doing the Camino Frances mid April.. was just wondering if anyone has done is is planning to do the same?
« Last Edit: 19:40:23, 06/03/18 by firstcamino »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Did it last April. 

Not as good as the Pennine Way. Too many people, loads of terrible manners, too many roads and hard footpaths.

I gave up using hostales, started using cheap bnbs and walking rather large distances just to get it finished.

Tips. Carry absolutely the minimum of everything. You do not need a sleeping bag for instance but you will need a good sleeping bag liner instead ( you are always under a proper roof). There are shops to replenish everything all the way just about.

Do not litter. It is quite disgracefull how much litter there is in places.  If you are caught short then bury it.

Help others who need help. It is frequently reciprocated.

Be aware that the rain in Spain falls mainly in Galicia and the green hills. You will need a good waterproof.  I used a poncho as it also covered my knapsack.

Enjoy it as much as you can. In a strange way and in hindsight I think I actually  did enjoy it.  As Frances Sinatra said " I did it my way. "
Too little, too late, too bad......

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
I've done it, and really enjoyed it!

Like jimbob says, it is not a walk of unadulterated beauty and should never be undertaken with that in mind. It deliberately seeks out habitation as, in the old days, that meant safety for travellers. Consequently, especially round larger towns and cities, it can be ugly, with industrial estates, motorways, suburbs and airports all needing to be negotiated. However, the upshot of that is some wonderfully historic city centres such as Burgos and Leon encountered on the way.

It is a lot of walking on roads and hard tracks too, and this will deter or disappoint many as well. I just think it is best to be aware that it is not a wilderness walk no matter what any portrayal may have you believe. And it will be busy, too - it is probably the busiest footpath in the world.

Having said all that, it was a fantastic experience. We chose to use B&B and small hotels along the way, rather than the often grim hostals and alberges. As well as being a Pilgrimage it was also a holiday, and I'm not sure that forcing privations on ourselves would have appealed. But I also think that the best way to approach it is in your own way, whatever that is, because to my mind it is worth the effort of completing.

It didn't change our lives, and we didn't make friends for life en route either, but we met some great people and had a lot of fun, and it was still an experience I wouldn't change for the world - in fact, we are now in the process of walking the Le Puy Route - the feeder route from central France - and have plans for more after that, so I think I can safely say it had a considerable influence on our walking! 

Stube

I've not walked it -but I have driven along it! ::)

I'm not tempted to walk it - far too much road walking for me. If you can afford it stay in the Paradores. In particular the one in Leon (featured in the film "The Way"), but only in the old part - not the new package tourist wing; and the Los Roy Catholicos in Santiago by the cathedral - one of the best hotels I've stayed in in the World -but it also caters for hikers! Both are former pilgrim hostels - so real history.

Have anyone continued on to Finisterre - where there is a statue of a pilgrim and is surrounded by little fires where people have ceremoniously burnt their boots and clothes!? Some say this is the real finish to the Camino.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Slightly off topic but I really enjoyed walking the Robert Louis Stevenson trail from Le Puy en Velay down to St Jean du Gard. Almost no road walking - the route takes some deviations to avoid roads, staying smaller towns, wonderful countryside and great views.   
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've never been interested in hiking the Camino across Spain, I too have heard all of the same things, too many roads to walk along etc, just never measured up to the expectation. I too have done the Stevenson Way and I too really liked it. It was fun reading RL Stevenson's book as I hiked and the contrast between what he experienced and what I did.

Re: the Camino, are there various camino routes across Spain, if so, surely some are better than the others?

Rather be walking

We walked two years ago.
We also used B&B and small hotels where we could.

Too many people, loads of terrible manners, too many roads and hard footpaths.
Totally agree.

It's about 15% path/track and the rest is road or track next to road.
It's experience we strangely enjoyed at the time but we won't do it again.

Jon. 
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

jimbob

• Veteran Member
HI GWM yes their are Caminos from all  over. The Camino Frances is only one of many routes. There are routes from the UK to Santiago. Just not so well trod.
It was one of the most travelled medieval routes even from as far as Moscow.

I have heard that the Camino del Norte is a great scenic route and is more favourable to those who want a "walking" experience. No idea if that us true.

However if you want to find an excuse to visit Santiago, which is in my opinion , the most beautiful town I've ever seen, then a months walk to it is justifiable,  just.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Sorry I wrote my question badly. I meant to say are there various 'Camino' routes across Spain from St Jean Pied du Port in France. There must be say, a best one, does it exist? Is it the Camino Frances route?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Don't know about St Jean Pied de Port which is the start of the  Frances. But their is one from near Perpignan and down through Catalonia.

It's the hostels which make the walk ,as a walk, attractive. But I got fed up of the bed race and the bad manners. Booking.com became my buddy. IFf I had a bivvi I would have used that. However wild camping is illegal on Spain. Near the camino the law protects the local economy, if you get my drift.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy