Author Topic: Hadrians wall - 4 day itinerary  (Read 2917 times)

Livvy

Hadrians wall - 4 day itinerary
« on: 12:36:15, 13/01/20 »
Hi everyone

My friend and I are planning to walk hadrians wall, raising money for charity, in May this year.
I have come up with a below plan. Please can I ask for your opinions on whether you think it will work?

Start
Day 1 Bowness-On-Solway to Newtown
Day 2 Newtown to once brewed
Day 3 Once brewed to East Wallhouses
Day 4 East Wallhouses to Wallsend

We only have 4 days to complete it.
Many thanks in advance,
Liv
« Last Edit: 18:17:45, 13/01/20 by Livvy »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrians wall - 4 day itinerary
« Reply #1 on: 10:47:09, 14/01/20 »
When these sorts of questions are asked of me the first thing I ask is are you camping or B & B'ing? The reason I tend to do this is based on my own experience. I'm a camper, I get up early (at dawn usually) take up to an hour to get organised and then I'm on my way and can enjoy the maximum hours of daylight. When I've hiked with B & B'ers my experience is that they generally want value for money, so they will, again from my experience, get up well after dawn, spend morning time showering and so on, spend more time to get a good breakfast and then spend time organising themselves. I know I'm generalising, I do know that and I also know that not every B & B'er is like this! By the time some B & B'ers start to walk, I might already be more than two hours ahead of them! For me, this is the time of the day when, as a hiker, I'm at my best. When I stay in a B & B I too make sure I get value for money and by the time I start to hike I often feel sluggish and bogged down with all of the food and drinks I've just had. So, if you are a camper and rise early I'm sure the answer is yes if you are a B & B'er, perhaps starting between 8 - 10hrs I'm not sure? At what time in the morning are you ready to GO, I assume you would have less daylight hours for hiking available to you than I would?

Livvy

« Reply #2 on: 12:11:55, 14/01/20 »
Hi :)

Thank you for your reply. We will be B&Bing it. But we don't intend to take things slowly. Its a long way and would prefer to just get going in the mornings, start walking before 8am for sure.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:50:21, 14/01/20 »
Fit, strong, walkers, averaging 21 miles a day - 16 hours of daylight in mid May - sounds ok to me (or would have done when younger :( ).

Check your B&Bs know you are walking. Exact timing is not possible so you may be late for check in/dinner and want an early breakfast.  If the B&B doesn't do dinner make sure there is somewhere nearby and which is open that day. If poor weather you'll be arriving wet and muddy. Make sure they are prepared to cope with all that (some aren't as I found out on the Wessex Ridgeway).

Are you using a luggage transfer?
If not - pack light - you'll be fine with just one change of clothes for the evening/breakfast.  then put yesterday' clothes back on to walk in.

Hope it goes well. Let us know :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Steveandsam

« Reply #4 on: 20:05:01, 15/01/20 »
If camping/wild camping you'll do that no probs... As mentioned I'd ask for earliest breakie poss. In your favour, nice bed, shower, you'll feel better and no stress over bin fed. You enjoy and hopefully go slower nxt one.

Livvy

« Reply #5 on: 17:20:44, 17/01/20 »
Thank you everyone :) I will try and pack as lightly as possible. Have now booked all my accom on your advice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy