Author Topic: Your winter stove?  (Read 3385 times)

Mark101

Re: Your winter stove?
« Reply #15 on: 14:27:34, 02/12/19 »
Just purchased one of these for £6. Very lightweight and compact (with 2 x fuel blocks).
Now for a cook set lol
« Last Edit: 14:30:56, 02/12/19 by Mark101 »
Walking for relaxation

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:47:46, 02/12/19 »
Rectangular military pans; it's what it's made for  O0

Mark101

« Reply #17 on: 15:01:09, 02/12/19 »
Thanks. I'll buy one that the folded stove can fit inside, then just a mug for coffee and noodles  :) Watched a YouTube video on how to make dozens of wax waterproof fire starters from make-up pads and a scented candle. Have my flint so I'll soon be ready to brew on the mountain
Walking for relaxation

KimE

« Reply #18 on: 18:21:10, 02/12/19 »
A kelly kettle hobostove(wood) for cooking, a military alcohol burner with a homemade windshield for daytrips/weekends and a trangia alcoholstove for snowmelting and cooking on longer trips.

Litehiker

« Reply #19 on: 23:33:32, 02/12/19 »
richardh, I looked at photos and a video of the Primus OmniLite but could not find one showing the iso-butane canister setup. Is the canister inverted on a stand like the MSR Whisperlite Universal?

Mark, I have found the best fire starter is cotton balls rubbed with petroleum jelly (Vaseline, etc.) I keep several in a Ziplock bag in my survival kit and stove kits along with a "fire rod" magnesium sparker and striker. These suckers start fast and burn for several minutes.

Eric B.

Mark101

« Reply #20 on: 09:41:47, 03/12/19 »
Mark, I have found the best fire starter is cotton balls rubbed with petroleum jelly (Vaseline, etc.) I keep several in a Ziplock bag in my survival kit and stove kits along with a "fire rod" magnesium sparker and striker. These suckers start fast and burn for several minutes.
Another great tip. I'll give them a try  O0
Walking for relaxation

zuludog

« Reply #21 on: 11:49:29, 03/12/19 »
MARK101

I think you'll find that lighting wax with a flint or firesteel  is not easy; try it at home before you go out and use it for real

Solutions are -

tear the waxed pad so you expose rough/fuzzy edges, and aim the sparks at those edges
When you wax a pad leave a small area untreated and aim at that so it acts as a wick
Use a firestarter that is easier to light with a spark - as mentioned, cotton wool & vaseline, or cotton wool or small scraps of fabric soaked in meths or petrol and kept in a small jar
Or make some Char Cloth

The solid fuel blocks as supplied with MOD stoves are also surprisingly difficult to light, so again, try them out first

Search Google and YouTube for 'Crusader Cooking Systems' and you'll see there are several types of mugs, pans, supports & holders that can be used
Yes, the stove is designed to use the rectangular army mess tins, but I doubt if you can find the genuine ex - WD ones now, though modern copies are available

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:26:19, 03/12/19 »
Cotton grass and thistle heads light well with a firesteel as long as their dry.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:13:43, 03/12/19 »
Watched a YouTube video on how to make dozens of wax waterproof fire starters from make-up pads and a scented candle. Have my flint so I'll soon be ready to brew on the mountain

I have to ask: is this an exercise to investigate and acquire skills for interest's sake?. Otherwise why not just use a cigarette lighter?.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:49:35, 03/12/19 »
A couple of squares off a firelighter cut up into quarters and a cheap Bic lighter kept in in a lozenge tin beats all that kerfuffle.
Carry two lighters they are less weight than a good fire steel.
If you do use vaseline then do not keep it in the same zip lock for trip after trip. It eats polythene.

I no longer carry a stove, I use a flameless system. It's OK for heating pot noodles or that type of stuff, and makes a cup of hot chocolate from the one chemo bag.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mark101

« Reply #25 on: 14:00:18, 03/12/19 »
I have to ask: is this an exercise to investigate and acquire skills for interest's sake?. Otherwise why not just use a cigarette lighter?.
To acquire skills and save money - frugality. I watched a few YouTube videos on bushcraft and this came up. Two face pads pressed together, dipped in melted candle wax. Diced in four when dry, then torn to expose the inner fibers upon which the flint is struck  :)
Walking for relaxation

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:29:53, 03/12/19 »
Interesting techniques there to be sure. Just on the offchance you don't know about it, the Bushcraft forum has some hardcore articles on this sort of thing in the Fire section, plus interesting stuff about living off-grid.

Mark101

« Reply #27 on: 19:25:49, 03/12/19 »
Great link. Many thanks. I'm looking at bushcraft and prepping channels to try to improve my self sufficiency. I have a water filter and now a stove and flint. Crusader cook set next...
Walking for relaxation

Litehiker

« Reply #28 on: 19:56:43, 03/12/19 »
Mark,

Those Youtube bush crafter videos got me kinda/sorta getting some bush craft "tools" myself so beware of their lure. Jus' sayin'...
1. my wife bought me a HELLE GT hunting knife
2. I bought a US made Council Tool Wood-Craft axe with a 19" hickory handle for canoe and car camping
3. my ancient triangular SvenSaw will soon be supplanted by a Boreal buck saw

Eric B.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:39:14, 04/12/19 »
richardh, I looked at photos and a video of the Primus OmniLite but could not find one showing the iso-butane canister setup. Is the canister inverted on a stand like the MSR Whisperlite Universal?

Eric B.

No - not inverted, Eric.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy