Author Topic: Location app for Android phone  (Read 2760 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Location app for Android phone
« Reply #15 on: 17:42:00, 11/11/20 »
I downloaded my 'Real Time GPS Tracker' well over five years ago, never have seen a hint of Russian's in my case.
...but that doesn’t mean they are not there following your every step  :D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:48:04, 11/11/20 »
...but that doesn’t mean they are not there following your every step  :D
Well hopefully they can write a few TRs on my behalf.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:49:43, 11/11/20 »
VR customer service is in my experience absutely top notch.

Phenomenal customer service! I emailed a query at 20:55 and have just received a reply 45 minutes later  :) .

Edited time from 21:55, I was an hour out if you look at the time of the post  :-[
« Last Edit: 10:36:48, 12/11/20 by fernman »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:29:55, 19/11/20 »
ViewRanger.  It is free unless you want subscription mapping.  It includes Buddy Beacon which allows your location to be displayed on a map on the VR website.

An update on this thread:
A week ago I contacted ViewRanger to query that although I had logged in, when I followed the instructions for people to see my location on a PC by entering my username and PIN in the fields on the map page on the PC, it continually told me "User name not found".

VR support replied to say I had not yet sent my beacon, to do which I had to click on the green + button at bottom right of the map, select Buddy Beacon and Send now.

When I eventually got around to doing this, the app said This is a premium feature, £24.99 a year.

So... I very reluctantly created a Google account and downloaded LocaToWeb from PlayStore, the only way I could get it, and it cost me 89p.

It works very well I have found (although it is dependent on a data signal), it will track my route, and save it on Google Maps, with a choice of road, satellite or terrain. Routes can be made private or public. The important thing for me is that the route can be seen on a pc in real time or later just by logging in on the LocaToWeb website with the email address and password I registered with, so that those at home can say, Look, he hasn't moved for two days, shall we get the insurance papers out?

All in all this suits my requirements. I'm in two minds as to whether to terminate the Google account, at first my phone was bombarded with popups from them but I think I've now stopped most of the permissions and I've successfully disabled Mail.

« Last Edit: 13:33:43, 19/11/20 by fernman »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:38:06, 19/11/20 »
That's odd - I don't pay for ViewRanger but I am a Premium account holder.  Must be one of the perks of being and early adopter.  Sorry about that - did not know it was a Premium Feature.
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:57:44, 19/11/20 »
That's odd - I don't pay for ViewRanger but I am a Premium account holder.  Must be one of the perks of being and early adopter.  Sorry about that - did not know it was a Premium Feature.
Offline satelite maps used to be free, but were made a premium product. I had to a new phone when the one with the downloaded maps died early last year and whilst my tablet still has the offline maps maps saved, I can't get them on the phone.   >:(
I wonder what will still be free on view ranger in the future, now they have been taken over by outdoor active. I had thought about buying OS map tiles but I am reluctant to do so with the changes.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:01:30, 21/11/20 »
For those that might be interested in an alternative to ViewRanger, my searches for an app brought up AlpineQuest.
The Lite version is pretty good, free and no ads, or the paid version has more features for €7.99 one-time fee.

https://www.alpinequest.net/

The downside for many will be that it is only available for Android, and not iPhone.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:20:43, 21/11/20 »
For those that might be interested in an alternative to ViewRanger, my searches for an app brought up AlpineQuest.
The Lite version is pretty good, free and no ads, or the paid version has more features for €7.99 one-time fee.

https://www.alpinequest.net/

The downside for many will be that it is only available for Android, and not iPhone.
Looks interesting.  If ViewRanger  goes up the swanny as a result of the merger. I may well give it a try.  Is it purely phone based or can I run it on a laptop like VR and OS?
I did respond to the VR email about paid for routes but got nothing back, not even an acknowledgement, which is unlike them.  First step down the slippery slope?
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:09:55, 21/11/20 »
I normally only look for free apps but as a second choice, a one-off payment is OK as well. I have one paid-for app, Backcountry Navigator, OS maps as standard, it has always served me well. Mine was cheap when I bought it a few years ago but its now nearly £15 I think.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:15:07, 21/11/20 »
I may well give it a try.  Is it purely phone based or can I run it on a laptop like VR and OS?

Sorry, I can't answer that with any certainty, though I suspect it is for phone only.

I did respond to the VR email about paid for routes but got nothing back, not even an acknowledgement, which is unlike them.

When I emailed ViewRanger support with a query I received a reply in 45 minutes, in the evening too, which really surprised me.

I normally only look for free apps but as a second choice, a one-off payment is OK as well. I have one paid-for app, Backcountry Navigator, OS maps as standard, it has always served me well. Mine was cheap when I bought it a few years ago but its now nearly £15 I think.

I registered on the Backcountry app but it won't log me in, saying my details are invalid, leaving me to suspect that this is just for paid users. The Search feature doesn't work for me either, but the app is unparalelled for its OS 1:25k and 1:50k maps, while its GPS locator will centre the map on wherever I travel to.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:01:35, 21/11/20 »
Backcountry has a free app (with adverts) I have that on my other phone, both work well and I've had no problems.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:24:36, 21/11/20 »

I registered on the Backcountry app but it won't log me in, saying my details are invalid, leaving me to suspect that this is just for paid users. The Search feature doesn't work for me either, but the app is unparalelled for its OS 1:25k and 1:50k maps, while its GPS locator will centre the map on wherever I travel to.
The same thing happened with me . I could no longer log in , yet it worked fine for a month or so. I uninstalled the app . I seem to remember recommending it to someone on here . possibly yourself , so I felt a tad silly  .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:20:45, 22/11/20 »
Backcountry has a free app (with adverts).

No ads if you use an adblocker app  :) (my preference being Blokada).

The same thing happened with me . I could no longer log in , yet it worked fine for a month or so. I uninstalled the app. I seem to remember recommending it to someone on here . possibly yourself , so I felt a tad silly.

It was me, but there's no need to feel silly as you put it, because it's still a darn good app for the OS maps that are exactly the same as the paper ones, so I won't be uninstalling it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:18:12, 22/11/20 »
An adblocker for a phone, what a good idea, I never thought of that.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:00:11, 22/11/20 »
Hopefully a related item. I use a short rubber-tipped pen when I'm typing emails on my smartphone when I'm working on the move, they were very cheap from PC world but I'd like something better. I used to own a Psion 5 (and liked it so much) I have still got two of their typing 'pens' sitting on my window sill. They don't work on my smartphone so my question is, is there a way of converting the tip material so that they will work?? I think they would be perfect for me, they are of a better length and they always feel so balanced and precise.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy