Author Topic: Brampton Cumbria  (Read 2141 times)

bigbri

Brampton Cumbria
« on: 12:42:36, 22/05/18 »
Has anyone got any decent walks in this area please?  Have done a few but finding new ones where you can park the car and do a circular is tricky.

Bri and Terri

Lakeland Lorry

Re: Brampton Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: 13:01:02, 22/05/18 »
Found this walk on the Cumbria County Council website:

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/Content/Internet/544/932/40350113543.pdf

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:09:00, 22/05/18 »
There are 2 Bramptons in Cumbria. Do you mean the one east of Carlisle or the one near Appleby?

Which walks have you done already and how far do you want to walk? I can give you some ideas for the Brampton east of Carlisle.
Hate will never win

bigbri

« Reply #3 on: 13:21:10, 22/05/18 »
Found this walk on the Cumbria County Council

Many thanks LL, will give it a go.

B and T

bigbri

« Reply #4 on: 13:22:39, 22/05/18 »
There are 2 Bramptons in Cumbria. Do you mean the one east of Carlisle or the one near Appleby?

Which walks have you done already and how far do you want to walk? I can give you some ideas for the Brampton east of Carlisle.

Hi April.  Yes, that's the one east of Carlisle.  We have done a few from Banks and Gelt woods.  Up to 8 miles ok.

Bri and Terri

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:53:16, 23/05/18 »
We do a bit of walking around there in the winter, or when we can't get to the Lake District. I will list some of the walks we have done on here when I get home form work  :)
Hate will never win

bigbri

« Reply #6 on: 09:33:24, 23/05/18 »
Great, thanks April.  We are heading that way today and staying until Sunday.

Bri and Terri

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:16:16, 23/05/18 »
Here are a 3 walks you might want to do. I am assuming you have the OS map 315 for Carlisle, all the place names are listed on the map. All of the walks have a little bit of road walking but follow footpaths and bridleways for the most part. Enjoy your time and I hope you enjoy the walks. Geltsdale and Castle Carrock are really lovely places to go to if you haven't been already.

Walk 1
Low Gelt Bridge (car park here), Tootop Woods - Greenwell - Castle Carrock - Jockey Shield - Geltsdale - Talkin - Middle Gelt - Gelt Woods - Low Gelt Bridge Approx 9.5 miles 200m ascent

Trip report here but we walked from the bus stop at Hayton Lane End
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36150.0

Walk 2
Brampton (car park here) - Old Church Lane - Crooked Holme - Castlesteads - Walton - Abbey Gills Wood bridleway to Lanercost - Quarry Beck - Brampton Ridge - Brampton. 9 miles with 350m ascent

Walk 3
Brampton (car park here) - Dismantled railway (Dandy Dimont railway near Staith) - Brampton Station - Tarn Wood - around Talkin Tarn - Tarn Wood - Tarn Road - Wreay - Capon Hill - Brampton. Approx 8 miles
Hate will never win

bigbri

« Reply #8 on: 19:22:33, 23/05/18 »
Many thanks April. In the pub at Brampton at mo. We have maps so when we get back to our caravan will check them out.
Bri and Terri

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy