Author Topic: More Info re Lairig Ghru  (Read 3932 times)

myxpyr

More Info re Lairig Ghru
« on: 15:13:05, 30/04/19 »
Sorry to raise this topic yet again but I'd be grateful for any information about the "do-ability" of the LG; I know some of you kindly provided some info in response to earlier questions.
My reason for seeking further information is that I recently approached somebody about a self guided walk through the LG. My intention was to alleviate the logistical conundrum of getting back to my car at Braemar after doing the walk south to north. My plan is to do it over two days with a night at Corrour Bothy.

I was a little surprised to be asked what I did on a regular basis in order to keep fit and to specify my Scottish hill walking experience. My original enquiry had set out, in summary, the extent of my experience(Snowdonia, Lakes, Pyrenees, Alps, Himalaya)

I was also asked if I intended to walk accompanied or solo (probably about 90-95% of my hill walking has been solo - I am not really a group type of person and I no longer have any walking partners anyway) I was also reminded of the "changeability" of Scottish weather. On the few occasions when I have walked on an organised basis I have certainly never been faced with questions such as those I have mentioned.
I'd just like to tap into the wisdom of the forum and see what others think about such questions.

myxpyr

Re: More Info re Lairig Ghru
« Reply #1 on: 15:14:53, 30/04/19 »
Forgot to mention, I'm thinking of doing it circa July-August.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:06:49, 30/04/19 »
Hello....I too am a septuagenarian three years or so in advance of yourself.
I have not kept up with your request re information about the Lairig Ghru walk until now.
I do think that folks around here a trying to be helpful with their replies to your intended walk.
Maybe folks were not aware of the time of year July/August... hope I have got this right? so that could be the reason for all of the cautious advice given.  Maybe also they just want to keep an eye on us old guys.  At that time of the year all you would expect with less than clement weather would be rain and wind so as long as the outer kit is sound it should be no problem...I have had overnight snow in early June.  The advice re-the space available in Corrour bothy is something to take on board especially at height of the summer season in the Cairngorms. Carry one of these lightweight tents? to avoid being out in the cold.
I stay on the Feshie/Spey side of the Cairngorm hills so these hills and surrounds are my backyard.
To get back to your car if you still have some energy why not have another night at Ryvoan Bothy and then return to your vehicle by way of the Parallel drovers route the Lairig an Laoigh.  Might get your feet wet at the Fords of Avon where there is small refuge.
Of course asking a guiding organisation for help would inevitably bring the duty of care stuff on account of age and experience etc.
« Last Edit: 17:15:09, 30/04/19 by vizzavona »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:36:03, 30/04/19 »
I'm going to throw in a curveball here, myxpyr - have you considered incorporating the Lairig Ghru into a circular walk, taking in Geldie Burn and beautiful Glen Feshie? There's a good roomy bothy at Ruigh Aiteachain in Glen Feshie.

PS - vizzavona's suggested circular would take you through some lovely country too - but Ryvoan Bothy can fill up as it is small (as is Corrour).

Edit - it would be a good 20 miles or more between Corrour Bothy and Ruigh Aiteachain - a long day.
« Last Edit: 18:21:16, 30/04/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

myxpyr

« Reply #4 on: 19:02:16, 30/04/19 »

Many thanks for both your replies.
Re: space at Corrour, I would hope to get there before it fills up but would probably have a lightweight tent. I'm also looking at the possibility of a circular route, otherwise it appears that the other option is train from Aviemore to Aberdeen via Inverness and then a bus from Aberdeen to Braemar.
Of course asking a guiding organisation for help would inevitably bring the duty of care stuff on account of age and experience etc.”
 My belief is that it's a very thin line between a “duty of care” and being patronising but there again I think there are those of us of a certain age who were brought up to learn about common sense and accept responsibility for our actions. That's my view.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:36:09, 30/04/19 »
I think any official or quasi-official organisation will always be risk averse and come across as patronising. A late good friend of mine was a very experienced climber and hill walker, having once been a professional climber and a member of mountain / cave rescue in the Peak District. This did not prevent him from being ‘rescued’ by the army (I believe SAS) when bivouacing in the Black Mountains. They refused to accept that he was perfectly safe and knew what he was doing.

myxpyr

« Reply #6 on: 19:40:27, 30/04/19 »
I think any official or quasi-official organisation will always be risk averse and come across as patronising. A late good friend of mine was a very experienced climber and hill walker, having once been a professional climber and a member of mountain / cave rescue in the Peak District. This did not prevent him from being ‘rescued’ by the army (I believe SAS) when bivouacing in the Black Mountains. They refused to accept that he was perfectly safe and knew what he was doing.
 ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:03:37, 30/04/19 »
... the other option is train from Aviemore to Aberdeen via Inverness and then a bus from Aberdeen to Braemar..

That journey would take the best part of a day! Time better spent on the hill, in my humble opinion. :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:19:09, 30/04/19 »
The buses from Aberdeen to Braemar are typically about 2 hours apart and it can take between 2.5 and 4 hours for the journey. You would then be about 6.5 miles away from Linn of Dee. Add in the trains (infrequent) and connecting times and the whole day would be gone.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:21:45, 30/04/19 »
Is there any particular reason that you want to start in Braemar?

myxpyr

« Reply #10 on: 08:31:09, 01/05/19 »
Is there any particular reason that you want to start in Braemar?
Not really, does it make a lot of difference where one starts from? I assume the logistics are much the same, be it Braemar or Aviemore.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:49:53, 01/05/19 »
Not really, does it make a lot of difference where one starts from? I assume the logistics are much the same, be it Braemar or Aviemore.

You avoid the walk to and from the Linn of Dee.

If you were to do a circular incorporating Glen Feshie from Aviemore, you could make use of the train to Kingussie to shorten the first (or last) day, although the Speyside Way would provide a very pleasant low level walk.

Distances would very approximately be:

Aviemore - Ruigh Aiteachain Bothy (Glen Feshie) - 17 miles (good paths with some minor roads)
Ruigh Aiteachain - Corrour Bothy - 21 miles (a big day)
Corrour Bothy - Aviemore - 15 miles (over the Lairig Ghru)

I've just quickly guestimated these from the 1:50000 map so I could be a mile or two out!
« Last Edit: 11:41:49, 01/05/19 by richardh1905 »

Patrick1

« Reply #12 on: 11:24:37, 01/05/19 »
Getting back to Aviemore from Braemar is a huge pain. But if the idea of a linear rather than circular walk attracts you have you considered peeling off at Whitebridge and heading down Glen Tilt to Blair Atholl? Seems a very pleasant alternative to me, and its then easy to get a train directly back to Aviemore from Blair Atholl.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:42:32, 01/05/19 »
Glen Tilt is an interesting alternative - never been there but looks very dramatic on the map.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:39:57, 01/05/19 »
Hello....walked Glen Tilt and linked with the Lairig Ghru through to Glenmore as a lad....it is a very fine walk and in someway contrasts with the ruggedness of the Lairig Ghru.   In my later years I have cycled through the Tilt on several occasions with one very long journey linking from Feshie bridge to Feshie Bridge via the Feshie, the Minigaig pass, Bruar lodge, Glen Tilt, glen Geldie and then back down the Feshie.
The variations of routes around  and through the Cairngorms are endless...well nearly so.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy