Author Topic: Did I see a Black Kite  (Read 1448 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Did I see a Black Kite
« on: 11:48:39, 11/08/19 »
Travelling up through Dumfreishire last month we stopped in the picturesque town of Thornhill, for a break from driving. We were sitting in the street, enjoying an ice cream and the view, when I noticed a pair of Kites in the sky high overhead and at the top end of the street. There is a  memorial column in the center of the street at a crossroads and 4x4 driver had made a pig's ear of the traffic by not allowing an HGV enough room to to get around the memorial, so my attention was diverted from the 2 birds in the sky.

Suddenly remembering the 2 birds, I snapped my glance back up and the one bird was directly overhead. It was between the sun, but as it banked away it remained rather dark too dark in its markings. I see Red Kites often and in that movement I would have expected too see the rufus flash of the normal kite sighting, returning to my ice cream and the drama of some fool driver, with a car too big for their mental capacity forcing a professional heavy goods driver to use all his skills to not obliterate a piece of national heritage, I forgot that momentary thought.

Did I see a Black Kite?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Did I see a Black Kite
« Reply #1 on: 14:16:58, 11/08/19 »
We used to see them a lot in France.  For me the diagnostic feature for flying birds was the tail notch which is less pronounced than in its red cousin.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:16:43, 11/08/19 »
We used to see them a lot in France.  For me the diagnostic feature for flying birds was the tail notch which is less pronounced than in its red cousin.

Thanks I don't suppose I shall really know if they were. I read somewhere on the internet that a Black has mated with a red Kite this year somewhere in Scotland.B-kite sighting ? by Barewirewalker, on Flickr

Anyway it was part of our holiday so I have mocked up a little memento with the help of Google Earth and some other kind wild life photographers on the internet and some hard won skills with Gimp. (EAT YOUR HEART OUT  Adobe photoshop is too expensive).
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:35:43, 11/08/19 »
Brian   -   it was more than likely a red kite. They are getting more and more common throughout the country. Haven't heard of any black kites in the country. Well spotted!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:54:13, 11/08/19 »
I'm guessing they're going through their moult at the moment, which might alter the silhouette?

They're very familiar to me because of the large numbers of them in the Chilterns where I do my day walks, but I'm increasingly seeing singles on my visits to north Wales, the most recent of which was above the Mawddach estuary in May.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy