Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573329 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3000 on: 16:00:19, 10/05/20 »
Haughton Park, the banks of the Don and Murray Park both days this weekend. Yesterday was about 15 degrees C with some sun, clouds and rain. Today was about 3 degrees with hail, snow, wind and sun. The cold weather is heading south.

Yesterday, I saw a couple of mute swans, mallards, and a grey heron. Today we saw 2 roe deer, a tree creeper as well as the mallards and heron.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3001 on: 12:36:30, 11/05/20 »
I shall, after scrutinising the 50 page document released later today, hopefully be walking in the Cheviots.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Hadrian

« Reply #3002 on: 12:49:01, 11/05/20 »
I shall, after scrutinising the 50 page document released later today, hopefully be walking in the Cheviots.

Sounds good - anywhere special? Humbleton/Harehope by any chance? That was my last full walk before lockdown kicked in. I was out and about in Rothbury this morning - the wind out of the North was bracing!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3003 on: 13:13:59, 11/05/20 »

Sounds good - anywhere special? Humbleton/Harehope by any chance? That was my last full walk before lockdown kicked in. I was out and about in Rothbury this morning - the wind out of the North was bracing!
Route yet to be decided but looking at heading out saturday afternoon, having a couple or three hours walking, sneaking in an overnighter and then continuing on a circular on the sunday.  Not bothered about the Cheviot itself but would like to take in the Hen Hole, 3 sisters etc , am open to suggested routes.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3004 on: 15:30:31, 11/05/20 »
Haughton Park, the banks of the Don and Murray Park both days this weekend. Yesterday was about 15 degrees C with some sun, clouds and rain. Today was about 3 degrees with hail, snow, wind and sun. The cold weather is heading south.

Yesterday, I saw a couple of mute swans, mallards, and a grey heron. Today we saw 2 roe deer, a tree creeper as well as the mallards and heron.
Yes it's dropped to 12 degrees C from 20+ 0n Saturday, down here in Cornwall.  Perfect walking weather. 8)  Shame I'm stuck in working.

I saw the entire herd of Roe deer, that roam the South west boundaries of Bodmin moor, on my long walk last weekend.  Surprisingly, on the open moor, I actually spotted them some time before they spotted me. I will upload a picture.

Edit: Here you go... By the time I had fumbled around for my camera a couple had noticed me.  As soon as I started walking toward them again they upped and scarpered to higher ground. I have seen this herd before, but they have always been away before I got a decent photo.  Nice to literally catch them napping.  :)

« Last Edit: 16:04:50, 11/05/20 by BuzyG »

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3005 on: 16:12:18, 11/05/20 »
Edit: Here you go... By the time I had fumbled around for my camera a couple had noticed me.  As soon as I started walking toward them again they upped and scarpered to higher ground. I have seen this herd before, but they have always been away before I got a decent photo.  Nice to literally catch them napping.  :)

Oh dear
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3006 on: 13:03:32, 16/05/20 »
Out with MrsG on the local RoW this morning. A six mile loop, from home to Elm Gate a back along the river Lyner to Anthony passage and Forder. Another beautuful morning and back in time for a late breakfast.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3007 on: 15:15:27, 16/05/20 »
Out in the local woods this morning and probably again tomorrow - leaving the moors to the grockles over the weekend.  I was surprised to see a lot of frost damage on new growth though as we had none in the garden.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3008 on: 15:24:40, 16/05/20 »
Lying low this weekend, just staying local until I see how things pan out.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3009 on: 16:26:18, 16/05/20 »
Just local parks and woods again, as we are still under lockdown in Scotland. Ther were more people about last weekend and during the week.

Lee R

« Reply #3010 on: 21:24:21, 16/05/20 »
Local walk planned for early tomorrow!

Yorci

« Reply #3011 on: 16:12:58, 17/05/20 »
I took a trip out to Spurn Point/Head which ever you want to call it. My first leg stretch since the lockdown started.

A tad cloudy, but still warm even with the North Sea breeze, the sun this morning was gorgeous behind the clouds and they way it lit up the sea. I didn't see a sole whilst I was out at round 7 a.m.  I had the hole beach to myself. On the way back I saw the odd fisherman beach casting. For such a popular place it was very quiet.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3012 on: 17:27:19, 17/05/20 »
Just local parks and woods again, as we are still under lockdown in Scotland. Ther were more people about last weekend and during the week.
6 miles today in Haughton Park and along the Don. Today I did a new stretch of the river with an indistinct path, as the park was quite busy. I then walked over Montgarrie bridge into the village and turned left over Essat Burn up the hill to Tullynessle on the road. I then backtracked to the park and back along the river. My normal route was cut short due to a sheep on the path between the river and a barb wire topped fence. I didn’t want to panic the sheep, so turned around. The field behind the fence contained ewes and lambs (who had grown massively in a week) and a mixture of different coloured cows. On of these, on spotting me, got up and started to stare at me as I walked past. It then raised a hoof and dragged it several times on the ground, as if it was looking to charge. Fortunately, there was a lowest fence between us. I soon had to go back past it again due to the sheep.

Birds of note today were grey wagtails, goldfinch, martins or swifts and a heron.  There was also a pair of birds with a strange shrieking call hidden at the edge of some woods. From a distance I thought it was a cockerel, but closer up it was clearly something different. I didn’t see the birds, so no hope of identifying them.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3013 on: 06:40:20, 18/05/20 »
11 or so miles in the Cheviots today.  Changed my mind about the Hen Hole and Cheviot and decided to do Hethpool, Torleehouse, Easter Tor, Newton Tors, Hare Law, Hethpool.  A good stretch of the legs, the weather wasn't the best, Windy (what in the Cheviots?), drizzly and overcast but not too cold.   Saw some Cheviot goats, a couple of red deer, sheeps n lambs and came across some stubborn cows who decided to stand their ground and face me down on the path, a couple of quick blasts from the chest strap whistle soon had them moving out of the way but it was a tense couple of moments I can tell you.   Managed to pick up a little calf muscle strain on the way down off Hare Law so decided to be sensible and leave Yeathering Bell for another time.  All in all a nice refreshing walk and another couple of hills in the Cheviots ticked off the list.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3014 on: 08:03:01, 18/05/20 »
I saw the entire herd of Roe deer, that roam the South west boundaries of Bodmin moor, on my long walk last weekend.  Surprisingly, on the open moor, I actually spotted them some time before they spotted me. I will upload a picture.

Lovely to see and great to get such good pics. But roe deer are seldom in herds and are really quite small and dainty. I think these are Red deer.
At first I thought fallow deer, (the melanistic (dark/black) not dappled ones) of which there are large numbers in Devon but the rump markings are not right.
Have a google and see what you think
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy