Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573225 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3015 on: 08:37:53, 18/05/20 »
Lovely to see and great to get such good pics. But roe deer are seldom in herds and are really quite small and dainty. I think these are Red deer.
At first I thought fallow deer, (the melanistic (dark/black) not dappled ones) of which there are large numbers in Devon but the rump markings are not right.
Have a google and see what you think

Every day is a learning day.  I no idea we had so many species of deer in the UK.  After my Google I am pretty sure they are Red Deer. Thx O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3016 on: 08:50:27, 18/05/20 »
Lovely to see and great to get such good pics. But roe deer are seldom in herds and are really quite small and dainty. I think these are Red deer.

I was wondering about that myself. Roe Deer prefer woodland too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3017 on: 10:00:30, 18/05/20 »

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3018 on: 15:19:55, 20/05/20 »

I was wondering about that myself. Roe Deer prefer woodland too.
Red deer are a lot larger and stockier than roe deer.  Roe deer do go in herds as we had a herd of 8 ( or bevy as its called). Red deer tend to be a lot larger herd. You can tell the difference by the size of them and their tails. Where I live we also have munkjac deer they are the small ones. I've never seen any wild fallow deer yet but come across Roe deer regular and Red deer up on the moors. At night I can hear the Muncjac deer barking in the woods.
These are Roe deer I see them near my house I took these the other morning.  We are down to four now as unfortunately we are plagued by poaching.

« Last Edit: 15:26:54, 20/05/20 by Toxicbunny »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3019 on: 16:40:35, 24/05/20 »
I went on a walk with my wife today. This was a slower walk, as she is more than a foot shorter than me.

We went into Haughton Park and walked through the woods of silver birch, beech and some large pines and then continued to the river Don. There was a heron on the opposite bank, who later flew across to our bank within 15 feet of where we were standing. We followed the river to Montgarrie bridge and turned right into the narrow road towards Montgarrie, where we turned left at the crossroads towards Tullynessle.

Montgarrie is the home of the Montgarrie Mill that produces the famous Oatmeal of Alford. There has been a mill here on the Essat Burn, which flows into the Don, since at least 1317.

We crossed the Essat Burn and climbed the hill to the Tullynessle and Forbes village hall, on the way passing the Syllavethy Art Gallery and fields with lambs and their mothers.  A buzzard that was resting on a wooden electricity pole was disturbed by a crow and flew directly overhead, giving us a good view. Once we reached the hall we continued downhill to the Bridge of Alford, originally built by Thomas Telford in 1811, and recrossed the Don. Shortly afterwards, we passed a field of sheep and cattle. Two bullocks were quite frisky and were challenging each other to a head butting duel. In a later field we saw a large number of sheep and lambs. Two border collies entered along with 2 humans and then attempted to herd the sheep together for transport. I don’t think they will be winning any sheepdog trials in the near future. We then walked through the edge of the village and returned home, having completed just over 6 miles.

In addition to the previously mentioned birds and animals we also saw goldfinches, greenfinches, a tree sparrow, house martins and at least a dozen swallows. Summer has arrived in north east Scotland.
« Last Edit: 06:37:29, 25/05/20 by Bigfoot_Mike »

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3020 on: 19:54:15, 24/05/20 »
A slight off topic question.
When people post up Trip Reports, I notice that there is a TR before the title.
How does that happen?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3021 on: 20:00:16, 24/05/20 »
You have to put it in yourself

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3022 on: 20:01:24, 24/05/20 »
You have to put it in yourself
by just typing in TR before the title?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
TR
« Reply #3023 on: 20:12:55, 24/05/20 »
Yes  .... or perhaps no,  worth a try  :)
Start a new thread - there is a drop down to select TR if you want it
« Last Edit: 20:17:19, 24/05/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3024 on: 22:33:48, 24/05/20 »
So there is, never noticed that before. I've always just written it in.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3025 on: 22:40:05, 24/05/20 »
I do both.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3026 on: 19:41:10, 25/05/20 »
I parked up at Minions this morning and enjoyed 14 miles up to Fox tor and back in a loop.  I arrived back at the car just after 2pm and it was packed solid. There were cars parked for 200 yards down both sides of the road too.  I have never seen any thing like it up there.  Happily the hordes had spread out onto the moor at that point, so not many people about.  Another beautiful day too, so you can't blame any one for heading out of town. 

I can't help thinking lock down has created a new appreciation of the freedom of the moors in many previously gym bond people.  Long may it continue, as long as people enjoy it and respect the freedoms they have.  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3027 on: 17:57:38, 30/05/20 »
Another walk from the front door with my wife. We can now officially travel to exercise in Scotland, but have been asked to keep that to about 5 miles. We were again Haughton Park, Murray Park and along the river Don. The weather was glorious with clear blue skies, a few cirrus clouds and a cooling breeze. We walked through dappled sunlight in mixed deciduous and coniferous woods, through meadows and along the riverside. The regular herons were in place on the river looking for fish. There were actually less people around today than there were in mid week, but there were a lot more cars on the road.

I am gradually getting my fitness back, hopefully without aggravating my injuries too much. So far, I have managed 3 walks in the last 4 days totalling about 17.5 miles. Hopefully, I will be back to doing that in one go in the future. Yesterday was just too hot for walking at 26 degrees.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3028 on: 22:19:03, 30/05/20 »
A morning wander around Chapel House Plantation, mature larch and pines, resinous scent, foxgloves, tadpoles, minnows and dragonflies at Simpson Ground Reservoir - lovely - but baking hot.

Followed by a wander up Hampsfell in the evening sunshine- all the Lake District fells laid out before me.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3029 on: 17:02:54, 31/05/20 »
I wassn't intending to go far today in the heat, but it was perfect and cool in the breeze, once up on the high moor.  Set off from Brat tor car park a little after 9am and took in Great  Links Yes tor, then turned and headed over Great Kneeset to Fur Tor, before taking in Tavy cleave, such a beautiful Place. Finally heading up over Hare tor back to the car.  16miles and around 3500ft of ups, Fabulous days walking.  Alas I only took a couple of ltrs of fluids with me or I might still be up there, O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy