Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276426 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1695 on: 17:09:31, 06/10/21 »
Knees complaining a bit after a walk up St Raven's Edge and Stony Cove Pike from the Kirkstone Pass. Gorgeous weather and views, but seduced by the thought of a pint and a snack in the Brotherswater Inn, I struggled down the uncompromisingly steep ridge from Coledale Moor only to find a 'Residents Only' note pinned to the door!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BillyHill

« Reply #1696 on: 17:15:22, 06/10/21 »

Where to start...

Pretty much anywhere away from the well known hills, for example the Kentmere Horseshoe, Back O'Skidda, Black Combe, the Dodds, and if you are looking for real solitude, why not explore some of the out of the way corners like:

Hard Tarn below Nethermost Pike
Glencoyne Head path above Ullswater
Nether Beck north of Wast Water
Lingcove Beck below Bowfell
Green Crag and the other hills south of Eskdale

PS - the most remote spot that I have been to this year is probably The Other Langdale - a trackless valley that runs for miles into the heart of the Howgills.

Many thanks Richard, that’ll keep me busy.
I’d noticed the Kentmere Horseshoe in a walking book I have, so might give that a go.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1697 on: 18:39:13, 06/10/21 »
Many thanks Richard, that’ll keep me busy.
I’d noticed the Kentmere Horseshoe in a walking book I have, so might give that a go.

A pleasure, Billy. Here's a Kentmere Horseshoe trip report:
 https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/kentmere-horseshoe-wild-camp/

PS - parking in Kentmere (at the community hall) is pretty limited, so be early. Cost was £3 last time I was there.

BillyHill

« Reply #1698 on: 20:42:57, 06/10/21 »
A pleasure, Billy. Here's a Kentmere Horseshoe trip report:
 https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/kentmere-horseshoe-wild-camp/

PS - parking in Kentmere (at the community hall) is pretty limited, so be early. Cost was £3 last time I was there.

Looks a great day out Richard.
Reading the TR, and the photograph titled

"The Grey Crag ridge from the slopes of High Street, the Helvellyn range finally clear of cloud beyond."  

I always struggle to identify the ranges when there are so many in view, even with the help of an OS map.
Best example was at Hallsfell Top, Blencathra.
The 360 panorama was staggering, but I couldn't locate many of the fells.
Frustrated, I ended up downloading a great app on my phone, called "Peak Visor".
It must use a bit of AI, and the free version will allow you to use your camera, to view a range within one geographical area (pay premium and you can use it as often as you like).
It then adds labels (including heights) above each summit that is in view.
Useful for me anyway  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1699 on: 21:36:58, 06/10/21 »
To be honest, I would hate that, Billy - I like the mental challenge of working out what the different hills are from different angles, even to the extent of taking compass bearings - in time, they become like old friends, instantly recognisable.

BillyHill

« Reply #1700 on: 21:46:58, 06/10/21 »
To be honest, I would hate that, Billy - I like the mental challenge of working out what the different hills are from different angles, even to the extent of taking compass bearings - in time, they become like old friends, instantly recognisable.

I can understand that.
Unfortunately didn’t have either the OS maps (digital or hard copies), or the luxury of time on my hands to stop long enough and work it all out on the apps I had on my phone.
But at the same time, really had to know what I was looking at.
I’ve since used maps, or maps with app as confirmation.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1701 on: 21:49:09, 06/10/21 »
I went a circular walk from Haywards Heath in the Sussex Weald today, some of the time on the Sussex Ouse Valley Way and High Weald Landscape Trail.  A walk with a lot of variety  -  urban, rural fringe, open countryside, woodland, wooded lanes  -  and with fine views over the rolling Wealden landscape.  Warm and sunny  -  but very muddy after all the rain we've had!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1702 on: 22:19:16, 08/10/21 »
A 5 mile walk in the mist this morning from Nacton Shore to Levington Creek and back. Took me over 1000 miles for the year so far  :)  Photo looking down the River Orwell towards Felixstowe docks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1703 on: 08:44:52, 09/10/21 »
Very atmospheric - like the teazels.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1704 on: 22:22:16, 10/10/21 »
Walking in Cornwall most of last week, arrived by accident on the top of Brown Willy to find it to be the highest point of that county, stumbled across a film crew doing their thing for some of the next series of Poldark on the cliff tops.

Did notice that there are large parts of the county where I CANNOT walk but was not there long enough to put it to the test.

Where will I be walking this week, now that is the question, don't know myself till I've been there, but it will not be as far away as Cornwall.

Glad that you enjoyed Cornwall.  More than enough places to Walk and climb and surf and kayak and generally enjoy the things that make life tick. O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1705 on: 18:37:58, 11/10/21 »
I walked today in Ashdown Forest and its environs, in the High Weald of Sussex, taking in some of the Wealdway and some of the Vanguard Way.  High rolling heathlands with fine views.  Masses of bracken, which is beginning to take on its autumn colouring.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1706 on: 19:37:22, 12/10/21 »
Out on Bodmin moor today a gentle stroll to Kilmar tor.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1707 on: 21:26:26, 12/10/21 »
Sail and Crag Hill in the mist, followed by a poke around Force Crag Mine, a leisurely stroll down Coledale, and a pint of excellent Corby Blonde in the Coledale Inn!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1708 on: 10:29:13, 16/10/21 »
We're setting off soon to spend a week walking and running in the area around Tunbridge Wells.  :)

We've rented a small cottage near Pembury right on the High Weald Landscape Trail and the Tunbridge Wells Circular Walk.

I've worked out ten possible routes for the week - seven preferred routes and three backups.

One of the routes is in Bedgebury Forest which, conveniently, is between home and the cottage, so we're planning to do that one today on the way! Other highlights will hopefully be: the Tunbridge Wells Circular, a lap of Bewl Water, and two Surrey sections of the North Downs Way near Reigate that we haven't done yet. Lots of miles and ascent ahead!

I'll post some reports when we get back...  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1709 on: 19:30:19, 16/10/21 »
Have a great week Dave. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy