Author Topic: A few Dales ambles  (Read 2530 times)

BrionyB

A few Dales ambles
« on: 15:14:11, 24/09/21 »
Not much of a TR but I thought I’d share a few photos of a recent short trip to the Dales. The idea was just to have a bit of a change of scenery, and to ease back into hill walking after a fairly sedentary year with one thing and another.

I stayed in Settle and enjoyed some gentle strolls in the limestone country around the town. I really like it around here; not the most dramatic country, no, but there is something very restful about the rolling grassy hills and white stone and sheep quietly grazing, and in the soft evening light especially it was just so lovely. Surprisingly quiet despite this being a “busy” year for UK holidays; maybe everyone was on the Three Peaks, which I’d decided to avoid this time!

Dales Way above Settle

Limestone country

Scaleber Force, not looking very forceful on this occasion

Venturing a bit further afield I got the bus out to Cowan Bridge (a little village on the road to Kirkby Lonsdale, apparently where the Brontë sisters went to school) and walked up the valley along Leck Beck. This was a very curious and quiet valley, not a single person to be seen and no livestock or wildlife either – until I surprised a pair of pheasants – it seems it’s a shooting estate. Very green and pretty, though. There’s a fairly ill-defined path up onto the open moor and across to Bullpot Farm (where I encountered the only other walkers I was to see all day), and from there I headed up onto Barbon High Fell, following a wall.

The original plan was to go right over the summit of Crag Hill and down into Dentdale, then up to Dent station – this was abandoned as a bit too ambitious, as it was pretty rough underfoot and I was tired and not making great progress (and also a bit worried about whether it would actually be possible to get off the hill on that side without too visibly trespassing) – so came back down onto the quiet little Barbondale road and had instead a long road walk back to Kirkby Lonsdale for the bus.

Leck Beck and its verdant valley

Heading towards Bullpot Farm, slightly moody sky developing

The eponymous “Bullpot”, a rather alarming pot hole if you dislike that kind of thing

Barbon High Fell, possibly Crag Hill beyond with its head just in the cloud

Barbondale. Would be lovely for cycling, this road

Another day I got the train up to Dent (on the way noticing dozens of cars parked at Ribblehead and a constant stream of people heading up the “motorway” path to Whernside, which somewhat confirmed my earlier hypothesis). However, Dent station was its usual quiet, desolate self, perched above the valley, and I headed up the Coal Road a little way and onto Great Knoutberry Hill.

Had never been up here before, it always seemed too small a hill to be worth bothering with, but it was actually the most enjoyable walk I’ve had in a long time. Maybe not the most exciting hill in itself, but the great thing was the views of the surrounding hills and down along pretty Dentdale. Mostly pathless, somewhat rough moorland, imagine it could be boggy at times but not today. Absolutely deserted as well; again, I didn’t see a single person after leaving the road.

There are two tarns to the north-east-ish of the summit which I thought would be interesting to see. The weather was gorgeous, gentle breeze and sunshine, and I found a perfect spot to lie in the heather by the water’s edge and felt I could have stayed there all day (if not for having a train to catch). Just goes to show it’s a mistake to overlook the unglamorous “little” hills.

Hazy view down into Dentdale

Interesting cairns on the side of Great Knoutberry Hill, and Whernside looming

Widdale tarns (one with a curious grouse butt in the middle – clearly this is shooting country again)

Two areas I would have really liked to visit were the Howgills and Forest of Bowland - had some glimpses of both from a distance, I think - but unfortunately they were a bit impractical for day walks given the restricted public transport this year. Maybe next time!
« Last Edit: 15:20:47, 24/09/21 by BrionyB »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: A few Dales ambles
« Reply #1 on: 15:34:45, 24/09/21 »
Lovely scenery and pics  O0

I'm surprised more walkers don't know the Leck Valley from Cowan Bridge, it has some great limestone features as well as being a scenic approach to the hills beyond.

...Great Knoutberry Hill. Had never been up here before, it always seemed too small a hill to be worth bothering with

Sacrilege!  :)   Any hill has merit of a kind, this one has terrific views and nearly always solitude. It makes a good pitch spot too.

Edit to add: I don't recall that grouse butt in the tarn. The Widdale spur is another grand spot for solitude.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:45:03, 24/09/21 »
Lovely pics BrionyB - I can confirm that Barbondale is a wonderful place to cycle too!

I love the evening light in those first pictures - and the views are wonderful, made to walk into.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:20:10, 24/09/21 »
Some nice photos there, Briony. I love the Yorkshire Dales but don't really know the area around Settle, and I have yet to walk up the Leck Valley and the nearby hills. Barbondale is lovely, descended steeply from Calf Top and walked down the valley earlier this year. Climbed Great Knoutberry many years ago when I was staying with my university caving club in a barn at Widdale Head (now converted) - our walk probably involved a visit to the Sportsmans Inn in upper Dentdale!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rambling minster

« Reply #4 on: 16:46:07, 24/09/21 »
the countryside around settle is rather lovely. As a non-driver, i found Tony & Chris Grogan's book 'DALES Rail Trails', very useful, being a collection of walks based around the Settle-Carlisle rail line. A circular taking in Attermire Scar, Catrigg Force and the Hoffman Kiln, was very enjoyable.

Stainforth Force, a short bus ride from Settle, is also a great spot for watching leaping salmon in autumn.

BrionyB

« Reply #5 on: 20:55:48, 24/09/21 »
Thanks everyone for comments :)

Lovely scenery and pics  O0

I'm surprised more walkers don't know the Leck Valley from Cowan Bridge, it has some great limestone features as well as being a scenic approach to the hills beyond.

Sacrilege!  :)   Any hill has merit of a kind, this one has terrific views and nearly always solitude. It makes a good pitch spot too.

Edit to add: I don't recall that grouse butt in the tarn. The Widdale spur is another grand spot for solitude.

I must admit I'd never heard of the Leck Valley until I looked at the map for a way to the Barbon fells that didn't involve miles of road walking. I suppose most people find it easier to just drive up and park in Barbondale. Widdale tarns area does look like a nice potential camping spot, but some discretion would be needed, I think.

Lovely pics BrionyB - I can confirm that Barbondale is a wonderful place to cycle too!I love the evening light in those first pictures - and the views are wonderful, made to walk into.

Thanks! I'm not much of a cyclist really but did wish I had a bike on that occasion, walking on roads does get a bit tiresome even when they're as scenic as that one...

Some nice photos there, Briony. I love the Yorkshire Dales but don't really know the area around Settle, and I have yet to walk up the Leck Valley and the nearby hills. Barbondale is lovely, descended steeply from Calf Top and walked down the valley earlier this year. Climbed Great Knoutberry many years ago when I was staying with my university caving club in a barn at Widdale Head (now converted) - our walk probably involved a visit to the Sportsmans Inn in upper Dentdale!

Yes I remember your report about Calf Top and actually thought of it looking up at that steep slope - don't think I'd have enjoyed coming down there! If you're into caving, apparently the Ease Gill area at the top of the Leck valley is interesting, personally I prefer staying away from any scary holes like that...

the countryside around settle is rather lovely. As a non-driver, i found Tony & Chris Grogan's book 'DALES Rail Trails', very useful, being a collection of walks based around the Settle-Carlisle rail line. A circular taking in Attermire Scar, Catrigg Force and the Hoffman Kiln, was very enjoyable. Stainforth Force, a short bus ride from Settle, is also a great spot for watching leaping salmon in autumn.

Yes I love the Settle-Carlisle line, it's fantastic for non-driving walkers, don't know what I'd do without it.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:20:57, 01/10/21 »
Lovely pics Briony.  Good to see Warrendale Knotts looking as impressive as ever  O0

I must get back to the Dales soon.

BrionyB

« Reply #7 on: 19:48:37, 07/10/21 »
Lovely pics Briony.  Good to see Warrendale Knotts looking as impressive as ever  O0

I always think it looks like a little mountain in miniature, a scaled-down Tryfan or something  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy