Author Topic: Recommendations for camera repair ?  (Read 2752 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Recommendations for camera repair ?
« on: 00:23:50, 29/09/21 »
Typically, just after the warranty expired on our camera (Panasonic) we were caught out in a very heavy & persistent storm and despite the camera being nicely tucked up in a special bag/pouch, it was wet through.
After being dried out it still works but unable to use the screen on the back of the camera for viewing the image. You can only use it like a traditional SLR and have to look through the viewfinder.
Panasonic recommend returning it to their repair agent and issued me a reference number to submit with it. Before doing so, I thought it worth asking if any of you good folk know of a reputable/trustworthy repairer who carries out good work ?

I hope it will be a simple fix ......... :-\
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for camera repair ?
« Reply #1 on: 13:34:09, 29/09/21 »
No sorry, I can't help, but in this day and age aren't we all supposed to throw our stuff away and buy new again.   :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:32:04, 29/09/21 »
Did you try the bag of rice trick to get rid of the last of the moisture?  Hopefully it will be no more than a spot of corrosion on an internal connector. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:38:58, 29/09/21 »
No sorry, I can't help, but in this day and age aren't we all supposed to throw our stuff away and buy new again.   :-\
Perhaps, I'm too tight fisted to throw things away and buy new. It's not in my nature, but why I have a loft full of useless crap !
Did you try the bag of rice trick to get rid of the last of the moisture?  Hopefully it will be no more than a spot of corrosion on an internal connector. 
Not quite, but where we were at the time was very hot/arid. The battery was removed and whatever could be opened was for a couple of days.
I hope it is as simple as your suggestion - fingers crossed  O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:57:11, 30/09/21 »
Not sure I can help, but round here we only have "chain" camera shops - and I think most of those have closed.  Have you got a local retailer?  Most will do small repairs - I have had sensors cleaned and lenses repaired in the past.  Funnily, I have a Sony point and shoot camera which has an amazing zoom (720mm) and a viewfinder - these are incredibly rare on small cameras, so you may be able to sell it to someone who is looking for just such an item and put the funds towards a new one?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:14:58, 30/09/21 »
My Panasonic Lumix 100 failed a couple of months ago. The mechanical drive for opening just failed completely. I thought I would buy new as I have good use out of it for about 5 years but replacement seemed expensive. The company Panasonic recommend DK Audio Visual Services Ltd charged me about 50% of the original cost to replace the lens assembly. They had it for 27 days, 23 days waiting for parts. The Estimate for repairs was free, the return a matter of 24hrs from notification and the electronic communication with the company was very good. 

If I get another 3-4 years out of the camera It will be worth it. Cheaper than the £85/annum insurance the free cover was but up to after the 3 years expired.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:21:27, 30/09/21 »
My Panasonic Lumix 100 failed a couple of months ago. The company Panasonic recommend DK Audio Visual Services Ltd charged me about 50% of the original cost to replace the lens assembly.

Thanks pdstsp & bww - Coincidentally it was the same firm DKAVS who I was pointed in the direction of by Panasonic. I may still utilise them, but checking on here first. As you say, it may be expensive but if it gives me a few more years before having to replace - I shouldn't complain.

Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Lee R

« Reply #7 on: 21:04:41, 30/09/21 »
Black on White in Bristol is quite often recommended on my local Farcebook photography group.

Fixation are also well regarded & I think are also used by the big brands as a third party warranty repair company.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:24:39, 30/09/21 »
Black on White in Bristol is quite often recommended on my local Farcebook photography group.

Fixation are also well regarded & I think are also used by the big brands as a third party warranty repair company.

Thanks Lee, I'll check them out  O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy