Author Topic: Pitching camp near other people  (Read 2820 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Pitching camp near other people
« on: 10:55:26, 17/11/18 »
I was wild camping in S.Wales recently and me my mate pitched up near some water for the night. Just after we'd done that, some other campers arrived and proceeded to pitch about 30 yards away from us. The area suitable for camping was very large and there would have been scores of other pitches way away, all as good, all in sight of fresh water, in fact since they pitched on a real slope, plenty of better spots really.

I was amazed (and I'll admit, a bit irritated) that people would walk all the way to nice location and wild camp right next to another tent. It's not like they came over to speak to us or even wave so they clearly didn't come for company.

Is that weird or is it just me?!  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Pitching camp near other people
« Reply #1 on: 12:01:17, 17/11/18 »
Sheep mentality  O0

If I see anyone else I get as far away as possible  ;)
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:26:12, 17/11/18 »

My worst experience of this occurred on a large windswept campsite in Doolin on the west coast of Ireland many many years ago. We were the only tent there, but when we came back from the pub, we found that some Germans had pitched right next to us, despite the rest of the 10 acre field being empty; so close in fact that their tent was covering one of our guy ropes!

We were away early the next day, and I did enjoy noisily unzipping their tent and reaching under their groundsheet to retrieve our guy rope and tent peg, despite their sleepy protestations.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:14:27, 17/11/18 »
Sheep mentality  O0

If I see anyone else I get as far away as possible  ;)

Me too but then I'm a bit of a misanthrope.

we found that some Germans had pitched right next to us

Ha ha - we thought these must be Germans lol

I was in a busy pub for lunch once, on the Thames, and me and my wife found a free table after a wait, small with 4 chairs. While waiting for our starter to arrive two Germans came iver and asked if the chair was taken. I assumed they wanted it for another table so said "have it" but no, they sat down! I was like "errr excuse me but this is our table" but they said there were no others and wouldn't move. Different concept of private space one assumes

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:25:41, 17/11/18 »
Same happens in car parks. I pulled into a large car park of a big store, no marked spaces but I like to park at the end of a row away from others, don't want to get my doors bashed. I had just turned my key off when a doddery old couple came and parked within a couple of feet to me. They had the whole bloomin car park to choose from. I looked across to them, re started my engine and moved ten feet to my right.

They were getting out of their car as I got out of mine. I glared at them. She said, thank you for giving us more room.  ::)

ilona

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:14:29, 17/11/18 »
We have a favourite beach on Zakynthos called Xigia, it’s quite small so back in September we left our hotel really early to drive there and arrived to an empty beach. We laid our towels out and went for a swim, but after about 15 minutes another couple came down the path to the beach, deserted apart from us and put their towels within inches of ours, I kid you not! We weren’t moving so I made things as awkward as possible for them in my own way, but talk about not taking a hint they weren’t moving either, unbelievable.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:31:30, 17/11/18 »

Ha ha - we thought these must be Germans lol

I was in a busy pub for lunch once, on the Thames, and me and my wife found a free table after a wait, small with 4 chairs. While waiting for our starter to arrive two Germans came iver and asked if the chair was taken. I assumed they wanted it for another table so said "have it" but no, they sat down! I was like "errr excuse me but this is our table" but they said there were no others and wouldn't move. Different concept of private space one assumes

Different on the continent, I suppose. But I would ask in a pub if I were in the same situation. In fact, I have done.

Didn't mean my post to sound anti-German, by the way.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:35:00, 17/11/18 »

I always try to park 'defensively' on a large campsite, to try to deter or block neighbours who might want to pitch a bit too close. Extra long guy ropes can help too!

So much nicer out in the wilds.

dav

« Reply #8 on: 16:17:41, 17/11/18 »
30 yards isn't that close though is it, unless they kept you awake with snoring, then anything is too close!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:28:46, 17/11/18 »
I've had people camp near to me, never really bothers me unless they snore loudly or when they insist on having loud sex. I can only remember being irritated about 'party noise' once, on the camping site in Horton in Ribblesdale about 3 years ago.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:19:24, 17/11/18 »

Different on the continent, I suppose. But I would ask in a pub if I were in the same situation. In fact, I have done.

Exactly so, especially in Germany and Austria when there is a shortage of tables - people will share happily and dare I say it - talk to each other.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:57:30, 17/11/18 »
Over all the years I've wild camped I've only once had someone else arrive after me and pitch within sight, and they were far enough away for it not to bother me. And there has only been one occasion when someone was already where I was thinking of going, when I moved on and found somewhere else.

On camp sites it's a different matter, you never know what you are going to find when you return at the end of the day. If you do have new neighbours close by, you just pray they are quiet people (more often that is not the case unfortunately).

I've experienced all the other scenarios people have posted, but I wonder if Phil would have minded so much if the female had removed all her clothes, as has happened to me and my wife on several occasions on Greek beaches?  ;)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:00:04, 17/11/18 »
Over all the years I've wild camped I've only once had someone else arrive after me and pitch within sight, and they were far enough away for it not to bother me. And there has only been one occasion when someone was already where I was thinking of going, when I moved on and found somewhere else.

On camp sites it's a different matter, you never know what you are going to find when you return at the end of the day. If you do have new neighbours close by, you just pray they are quiet people (more often that is not the case unfortunately).

I've experienced all the other scenarios people have posted, but I wonder if Phil would have minded so much if the female had removed all her clothes, as has happened to me and my wife on several occasions on Greek beaches?  ;)
Hang on I’ll get a pen .......... Which beach?  ;)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Maggot

« Reply #13 on: 18:44:59, 17/11/18 »
Maybe they were new to it all, or a bit scared possibly, and were looking for some 'safety in numbers?

Think Mary-Ellen in 'Walk in the Woods' (which I assume you have all read! ;D )

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:54:56, 17/11/18 »
I was camping near Armadale on Skye with a friend from university the night before catching the ferry to Mallaig. In the morning we set a world record for packing away a two man tent due to an assault by huge clouds of midges. Camped close by were a European couple. The male was cooking breakfast on Astro e outside the tent. Suddenly a shriek sounded from within their tent. The young lady of the party ran out of the tent topless and pursued by more of the Highland beasties.  :-[

Sorry phil1960, I don’t think she will still be there, as it was 1983.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy