Author Topic: Pitching camp near other people  (Read 2822 times)

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Pitching camp near other people
« Reply #15 on: 19:25:33, 18/11/18 »
This reminds me of a thread from a few years ago where someone tried wildcamping for the first time in the middle of nowhere, only to have some bloke stride up to the tent and talk loudly on his mobile phone ;D
Not all those who wander are lost

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:48:15, 20/11/18 »
30 yards isn't that close though is it, unless they kept you awake with snoring, then anything is too close!

It is when it's not a campsite but wild camping where there are literally miles of unused land to camp on. They didn't need to be anywhere near anyone.

Any snoring would have been mine! Even my mate pitches a good 20 feet away from my, and wears earplugs and still complains!
« Last Edit: 08:56:39, 20/11/18 by NeilC »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:52:33, 20/11/18 »

Different on the continent, I suppose. But I would ask in a pub if I were in the same situation. In fact, I have done.

Didn't mean my post to sound anti-German, by the way.

I might ask if it were OK to sit down if it were just for a drink or if it was one of those long bench layouts. But I'd never impose myself on a small 4 seat table with a couple eating. Bear in mind the tables were in the eating area so all 4 of us ended up eating a meal at pretty much the same time. I really do not want to eat a meal shoulder to shoulder with strangers. We have kids so getting out to eat on our own is a rarity and we like to talk freely and personally. They ruined it. Loads of Brits were looking for seats and not one of them did the same thing, only this couple.

My friend is German-British BTW - it was his "theory" that they probably were from his home country!
« Last Edit: 09:01:29, 20/11/18 by NeilC »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:54:09, 20/11/18 »
It is when it's not a campsite but wild camping where there are literally miles of unused land to camp on. They didn't need to be anywhere near anyone.

Agreed. It is poor etiquette in my book. Unless the weather is atrocious and near where you are is the only sheltered spot to pitch.
Hate will never win

Doddy

« Reply #19 on: 18:08:44, 20/11/18 »

In a Ypres campsite I came back to my tent only to find, I deduced very quickly, an Irish family from Hell (sorry Ireland)- four female generations the latest a three month old baby who clearly was not going to sleep through the night. I upsticks and moved; they asked if I was leaving and moved furniture over to take up two pitches so they were not likely to be disturbed.
I avoid commercial sites if at all possible. The Dutch, French and Belgians have some great sites, they keep good hours and the locals maintain a good camping standard in my experience.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #20 on: 19:18:24, 20/11/18 »
Way back in the late 1970s the wife and I pitched our small, lightweight, ahead of its time two-person tent at Edale for the weekend, close, but not too close, to the larger tents of her other family members. After a day of walking and a night of revelry in The Old Nag's Head, my wife headed back to the tent first. After another pint I made my way to join her, crawling into the tent and reaching out to demonstrate my affection - only to feel a bearded face! After a few expletives, an exchange of accusations and traded blows in a confined space, my wife called from the adjacent tent to say that I'd got into the wrong one! Some eejit with an identical tent had pitched up right next to us, inevitably causing confusion in a mildly intoxicated neighbour.
PS It was a tent like this one, if anyone can identify it.
PPS If you were the bearded neighbour, sorry! Bet you never pitched up next to an identical tent again!
« Last Edit: 19:26:41, 20/11/18 by AFANASIEW »
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:52:51, 20/11/18 »
I think they were made by Ultimate Equipment, I'm not sure which model maybe the peapod.

Maggot

« Reply #22 on: 22:22:18, 20/11/18 »
I reckon it may be a Robert Saunders tent, not sure which model, but all their tents were excellent!

Robert Abroad

« Reply #23 on: 18:56:15, 21/11/18 »
I believe it's a Blacks tent: a Streamline?Still got one upstairs somewhere.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:04:26, 21/11/18 »
I believe it's a Blacks tent: a Streamline?Still got one upstairs somewhere.
Yes,it is a Steamline,same as the one I had in the late seventies/early eighties.
 I "upgraded" it to a Merrill Lite,named after one John Merrill who was sponsored by Blacks at the time.It was complete crap,single skinned and left you drenched in condensation on even a moderately cool morning.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:48:47, 22/11/18 »

I've experienced all the other scenarios people have posted, but I wonder if Phil would have minded so much if the female had removed all her clothes, as has happened to me and my wife on several occasions on Greek beaches?  ;)

I was on a vast deserted beach in Northern California, not a soul in sight so I was there building a big sandcastle. A woman arrived, stood in front of my sandcastle and completely unselfconsciously took all her clothes off and started doing Tai-Chi.

Ralph

« Reply #26 on: 18:15:29, 22/11/18 »

I was on a vast deserted beach in Northern California, not a soul in sight so I was there building a big sandcastle. A woman arrived, stood in front of my sandcastle and completely unselfconsciously took all her clothes off and started doing Tai-Chi.
You forgot to mention whether you complained or not

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:22:19, 22/11/18 »
I was with my wife so made no comment. Sand has never looked more fascinating . At least that was the impression I tried to give.

Ralph

« Reply #28 on: 18:25:18, 22/11/18 »
I was with my wife so made no comment. Sand has never looked more fascinating . At least that was the impression I tried to give.
Very wise decision

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy