Author Topic: Walking Solo  (Read 8148 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Solo
« Reply #45 on: 06:41:18, 30/05/19 »

We should arrange a "Walking Wounded" forum hobble  ;D   I'm sure Bigfoot Mike suffers with his tendon too.
You are correct Mel, although my back is more of a problem at the moment. Walking helps free my back up, but I am wary of being too far from civilisation at the moment in case of a bad attack, when I would struggle to walk at all. That said, if civilisation was at the top of my list, I wouldn’t live in rural Aberdeenshire.  :)

Forkbeard

« Reply #46 on: 09:32:47, 31/05/19 »
How many forum members walk solo? Curious to know. I've been walking since I was a nipper and probably 80% of that has been solo. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself either lonely or a loner and there was a time relatively recently when I walked with a mate but we've drifted apart.
I do have an aversion to walking in a biggish group which is why I don't get involved with the Ramblers. I find things are a bit too regimented what with leaders, back markers, risk assessments and the like. To me that sort of approach is alien to the ethos of walking and trekking. Walking solo I'm answerable to nobody but myself. The only person who has any responsibility for me is ME. It gives me freedom and independence.
Interested to hear the views of others.
That said, I would not be averse to walking again with ONE mate but I feel I would have to know that we could rub along together and enjoy a pint and a laugh in the pub afterwards. ;)

Other than taking one of my friends who's got some mental issues out walking, I always go alone. I tried the group thing and really hated it for a number of reasons (actually I didn't mind it so much when the group was smaller). I like the peace and solitude, something that I can't really get in daily life. I also like going at my own pace and stopping when/where I want for a while.

photonut

« Reply #47 on: 11:16:28, 31/05/19 »
I mostly walk alone for the reasons set out by many members above, and I love it.  I have two good friends who I walk with on occasion, which I enjoy as we are well suited in terms of experience and speed.

I have just spent 11 days walking the C2C with one of these friends and two other less experienced friends.  I was expecting this to be quite difficult, but everyone seemed to adjust well.  We found ourselves chatting at times, strung out for periods and then coming back together, generally when navigation was needed.  I was surprised how natural it felt.

Having said that, I don't think I'd like an organised group. Too much structure for me.

Pleased to hear your C2C went well Paul  O0

Back to the topic in question....... Like many here I'm a solo walker too.  Mainly because of the freedom to go where you want, when you want without having to discuss with other members of your group.  Having seen my local Ramblers Group I know I could not walk with them... waaaay too slow and far too regimented.

That said, I went on a group meet from here and had a superb day out walking.  Although I probably spent a lot of the walk alone, it was nice when we stopped for breaks to have people to chat with.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 12:34:52, 31/05/19 »
Small group is fun, especially if they share your ethos about wild spaces and enjoy making the best of it.  That said I'd rather know them to some degree, there is absolutely nothing worse than having a whinger along for the ride who repeatedly has a good moan about how it's all 'so hard' or complains about the route, yet never gives any time or opinions on it prior to setting off.  Also when the weather is truly shocking a small group is more fun than solo, there's a bit of camaraderie in adversity thing going on when you're wet through and struggling to make progress, a few positive comments go a long way to keeping morale up, whereas when I'm solo I'm usually wondering why the hell I decided to spend my day walking through clag.

Usually I prefer solo, I'm a quick walker and I enjoy seeing as much as I can on trips, often descending with a headtorch after a full day out.  I don't have an extra long lunch stop or take many breaks, I'd rather be flying up something and down the other side and put that time into getting back to enjoy a pint or decent meal outdoors at a pub, especially if I get to watch a sunset a the end of the day.

and101

« Reply #49 on: 10:20:58, 02/06/19 »

We should arrange a "Walking Wounded" forum hobble  ;D   I'm sure Bigfoot Mike suffers with his tendon too.

Let’s start a splinter group (pun intended)!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 11:45:29, 02/06/19 »
And I have had fasciitis for the past month - finally found something that works but it needs to fix quick as I am off to Austria very soon.  We need a group name - perhaps Monty Python's Black Knights?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInkxbvlCs
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 13:10:23, 02/06/19 »
And I have had fasciitis for the past month - finally found something that works but it needs to fix quick as I am off to Austria very soon. 

Tennis ball  or orthotic insoles? Both seem to work for me.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 15:10:31, 02/06/19 »
Tennis ball  or orthotic insoles? Both seem to work for me.
  Orthotics and Vitamin I gel 4 times a day.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 15:35:13, 02/06/19 »
  Orthotics and Vitamin I gel 4 times a day.
;D ;D Good one. I can't use the "I" due to taking warfarin,  they react  even as an external  gel .
If in pain I was advised to try Tiger Balm by the pharmacist.   It does the job for a wee while.

I found rolling tennis ball or a tin of something under the arch of the foot does a great job too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 16:29:53, 02/06/19 »
;D ;D Good one. I can't use the "I" due to taking warfarin,  they react  even as an external  gel .
If in pain I was advised to try Tiger Balm by the pharmacist.   It does the job for a wee while.

I found rolling tennis ball or a tin of something under the arch of the foot does a great job too.
  My pain is further back right under the heel.  We have wood floors on the ground floor so slippers are the order of the day at present .  I think that is what kicked it off, I had a similar occurrence 2 houses ago when we had tile floors..  So far I have got through almost 2 tubes Vitamin I but it's working - the secret is to massage it in firmly until it has all gone.  We have a bird box outside - it takes 5 visits to the box by the mummy and daddy Blue Tit to work the gel in.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 17:32:45, 02/06/19 »
  I did a quick trawl round the house, no dogs, no children and therefore no balls of any description.  Checked the store cupboards - no tinned goods or jars of jam, not sure a packet of rice would cut it.  The wine cellar is well stocked though - what would you recommend, a red or a white?  French or New World?
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 18:40:08, 02/06/19 »
Wine is wine whatever the colour :D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 19:54:04, 02/06/19 »
  I did a quick trawl round the house, no dogs, no children and therefore no balls of any description.  Checked the store cupboards - no tinned goods or jars of jam, not sure a packet of rice would cut it.  The wine cellar is well stocked though - what would you recommend, a red or a white?  French or New World?
Just drink it in any order,  that will fairly quickly allow you to forget the knife like feeling of agony slicing through your feet.
However , no matter how tempted you are after imbibing,  do not wear high heels as they only exacerbate the problem.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:01:08, 02/06/19 »
I was going to use the bottle in lieu of a tin to massage my foot but I like your idea better.
Solvitur Ambulando

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #59 on: 08:06:09, 03/06/19 »
I've been walking solo and camping wild  for over 40yrs. I love the freedom of nothing booked or organised, just walking until I feel like stopping or the weather changes.
Earlier this year I walked from Lands End to John O'Groats via Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis alone, but was rarely lonely because I met so many lovely people along the way, many of which I probably wouldn't have talked to if I had been walking with a friend. Many of them would just come up chat because I was alone.
My first serious walks that I did alone, were the Cape Wrath Trail and TGO Challenge. Both walked without issue. It has given me a lot more confidence in my own abilities.
I've done the Pennine Way twice with others and it's a totally different experience to walking alone, both ways were enjoyable in different ways.
If you're interested in reading more, my website may be of interest. wildwalkinguk.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy