Author Topic: How do people plan their walks?  (Read 3931 times)

Agentorange

How do people plan their walks?
« on: 21:38:58, 01/10/19 »
I tend to use a combination of Plotaroute, Bing, Google maps and the appropriate County ROW online map.

However I'm thinking about taking out a OS online subscription and was curious if people felt this would add much to the info I get from the others. Also if you do use OS online ...how do you find it ?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: How do people plan their walks?
« Reply #1 on: 21:47:41, 01/10/19 »
I use the OS website or Garmin BaseCamp to plot the initial route.  One advantage of the OS site is if you plot a route in a National Park, it will automatically lay the route on the paths between waypoints. I refine the route with OS Aerial Maps or GoogleEarth.

For ideas, apart from Googling, I use ViewRanger or the OS app to discover routes. I occasionally use Wikiloc too but it is a bit limited in the choice it offers.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #2 on: 21:54:36, 01/10/19 »
Once I know the area I'll be walking in I generally just search for walks with gpx files and load these into Viewranger. Then I can edit those to plot a route that suits the time I have and my starting/ending points. I usually like to go for height early on if I can, get the climbing over with and enjoy the views. I will take a note of interesting diversions and any emergency escape to the pub options. I have a subscription for the OS maps which is helpful. I can get a more detailed idea of the landscape as well as finding alternative paths.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:12:11, 01/10/19 »
I use BaseCamp, which has about 5 different maps that I can select. Having plotted a route I will then, like ninthace, use Google Earth to help make adjustments so it matches the paths on GE.  Where I can use StreetView I'll do that too.

The completed route is then sent to my GPS, and is then my guide on the walk  O0
Where there's a will ...

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:25:12, 01/10/19 »
I grab a map off the shelf and open it on the kitchen table. Then I look for somewhere nice to walk. Then I look for where to park. Once I know the car parks and rough route, that's it - I can work out the exact route as I go.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:25:35, 01/10/19 »
Streeview in GoogleEarth is an underrated resource for checking the existence of stiles, gates and likely state of routes as well as getting a feel for the area.
I also use it for looking at and rehearsing the drive in to the start of a walk.  Good for spotting parking places too.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:13:32, 01/10/19 »
I grab a map off the shelf and open it on the kitchen table. Then I look for somewhere nice to walk. Then I look for where to park. Once I know the car parks and rough route, that's it - I can work out the exact route as I go.

Yep, I do that too for day walks, though my map is on my PC  O0
« Last Edit: 23:18:07, 01/10/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:03:50, 02/10/19 »
Typically I browse books of walks and/ or magazine articles looking for walks around 8 to 12 miles and  can do using public transport.

Odd times I’ll have a session of looking at paper maps and plot out something myself or go on computer and plot out a route myself.

I’m out a loss to suggest any real advantages in way I do things...in theory using other peoples walk ideas should have advantages (eg. You can’t tell from a paper map whether or not a minor road has a lot or little road traffic...walking a minor road can be pleasant or a near nightmare.)...but theory and practice often different!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:17:53, 02/10/19 »
I've always used Memory-Map on PC, currently with a 27" monitor. Great for perusing the whole of mainland UK and IOM at various scales seamlessly, using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out rapidly. 1:25000 scale is clearly the most useful but I can switch to 1:50000, 1:10000 Streetview, 1:250000 for overview and others.

Displaying the profile of a plotted route and mousing over it, I can immediately see the distance along the route at any point, it makes the day-to-day breakdown of a multi-day backpack very easy.

The only problem now is coming up with new ideas for routes  :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:53:15, 02/10/19 »
I just dream them up in my head.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:36:14, 02/10/19 »
I tend to decide on a walk or a walk area by impulse. I then kind of plan it in my head, (usually when I'm out running)and will then study my choice a bit more on my PC. My problem nowadays is that I've done so many walks I find it difficult to decide where I want to go next. My other problem is that it 'depresses' me when I have to start thinking of the time, effort and looking for reasonably priced train/ferry/aircraft tickets and how long it takes to get to the beginning of the walk and then returning from the end.

I live in Portsmouth so Gatwick is easy to get to, Brittany Ferries are on my doorstep but often my first choice is to hike in the Lakes. That's where Portsmouth works badly, getting to Penrith or Windermere is a chore and most times is more expensive than going to Europe! Driving to The Lakes is the PITS!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:14:31, 02/10/19 »
There always seems to be something in a previous walk that triggers an idea. Early on in my latterday walking I made a rule not to return immediately to the last walk done area. I seem to have had 3 areas of interest going on in my head at any one time.

What are the reasons for wanting to create a route;
My partner may express a wish to walk by water or in trees, so quality of way with a specific interest may be the focus.
If curiosity is the focal reason then it might be a destination or a feature, these often emerge from a distant view on previous walk.
Then there is the X zone, the area that is forbidden ground, what lies within? This so often can be paired with information gained from speaking to locals.
So many little triggers that get me looking at the map, seamless MM as mentioned by VGH, I must get a larger moniter, 3D view so often creates that additional little gem of intrigue, and try to use the National Library of Scotland's seamless OS alongside on a small moniter is very restrictive.
I have been frustrated over the years that the idea of 'Walk Design' has repeated failed to draw support both on this forum and others. The lack of criticism of routes published has left the sport with an unfulfilled armoury of information to use against the smug arguments of the occupiers of our countryside.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:31:30, 02/10/19 »
For unfamiliar areas (eg. my County Bagging Project) I get most of my walk inspirations from Country Walking magazine and books and sometimes here off the forum.  Then it's out with the map (or rather the computer and Bing Maps) and plan routes to suit the distance and difficulty I'm comfortable with.

Inspiration can also come from the time of year - different seasons have different appeal - eg. autumn?  I'll be looking for walks with deciduous trees to either walk through or see from afar for their colour.  Spring?  I'd choose walks that include rivers, woodland and meadows for the lush flora and fauna.  Winter? I'd choose walks that are "safe" if there's snow / ice on the ground, although I wouldn't complain at a view of a snowy mountain top on the walk.  If the weather's drab and drizzly I might look for a walk that takes in a bit of history or geology. 

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:25:55, 02/10/19 »

Same here. I decide how far I want to drive to the start, which direction, look for interesting tracks/paths/countryside/villages/rivers/canals on a paper os map. Not bothered about a car park unless there is a convenient place, will park in a residential street with no restrictions. Set off the next day with a packup, and make it up as I go along. I don't plot the route, I like surprises. You never know what's around the corner.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:06:31, 02/10/19 »
I love planning routes.  I am like an old miser in that I plan them then hoard them away on my computer.  From time to time a get them out and cackle evilly over them.  Sometimes I may even do one but that usually generates one or two more.
Walking with Mrs N makes planning routes even more fun for she has rules about going uphill, the chance of meeting anything bigger than a sheep, the possibility of mud, duration, distance etc.  It hones my planning skills no end - not to mention my ability to sell a route to her. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy