Author Topic: oxfordshire way - anybody walked it?  (Read 817 times)

jj99

oxfordshire way - anybody walked it?
« on: 11:39:30, 10/05/13 »
If you have what is it like?

I've followed the route on the map and it seems jolly flat.
And nearly all the pubs in the villages that the path passes through seem to have shut down.

jj99

Re: oxfordshire way - anybody walked it?
« Reply #1 on: 02:26:02, 27/08/13 »

I guess that's a no then!

Planning on walking it from this Thursday ...

Cyberhiker

« Reply #2 on: 09:25:58, 27/08/13 »
I walked it in weekend sections in the nineties. As it's quite a while ago now, a lot of the detail has faded but I remember I enjoyed the solitude. As you say, it's not noted for the hills along the way, there are one or two at either end but it's essentially a fairly easy country walk with pleasant, rather than spectacular scenery. Some things I remember are overgrown paths, missing waymarks causing difficulty with locating paths across fields and flooded sections when I did it. There are a number of attractive villages, particularly Bourton on the Water at the start and it also passes Blenheim Palace. Not a particularly memorable walk but enjoyable in it's way. Have a good walk!
« Last Edit: 09:29:06, 27/08/13 by Cyberhiker »

wintonian

« Reply #3 on: 20:35:40, 27/08/13 »
It's Oxfordshire so it will be flat!

The tow paths around Oxford (and further out I presume) are known for their flooding around Winter/ spring time, the Thames Path website even has a special warning page about this.
I don't know what route the Oxfordshire way takes but any of the canal sections are likely to be easy, level and obvious as one would expect.

And yes Oxfordshire has lost a lot of (mainly village I think) pubs over the last couple of decades due to lack of use, with a lot of the locals preferring a good quality wine at home - though that doesn't stop them complaining about the loss of village amenity's.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy