Author Topic: [Trip Report] Biggin and Wolfscote Dale Redux  (Read 2046 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Biggin and Wolfscote Dale Redux
« on: 21:55:41, 07/05/09 »
Date of Walk - 2nd May 09
Conditions - Warm. A bit cloudy with a decent cooling breeze. The sun did rear it's head from time to time as well.
Distance - 6.57 miles in well pathed dales. Based on a walk here by Radder, so I'll try not to post the same photographs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As I say this was a walk based on part of one done by Radder so I won't be typing much (honest). The walk was part of my walking mates "am I ok" recovery plan and the fact we decided to help a friend out by walking the dog/woofit/hound* a suitably tiring but paw friendly distance.

Below is a picture of Buster (the said woofit) and of course the OS map is courtesy of the Ordnance Survey and is Crown Copyright.

Suffice to say that Buster was very excited in the car going, but was strangely quiet on the way back. Especially quiet considering that I lost my pager by leaving on the car roof which resulted in a nice electronic jigsaw as I left it there when we drove off - I mean he could have said something  ;D

As with Radders walk, we started in Hartington (lovely village) and passed the Youth Hostel. Now things have obviously come on since I last spent time at a Youth Hostel some 30 years ago. I definitely don't remember Cappuccinos and Panini’s  being on the menu! Still I was aware of how the YHA had changed and was glad to see this one looking impressive and busy.

After doing some back tracking to actually pay for the car parking - the town was packed, but the car park was strangely empty, we set off across farm land to the entrance of Biggin Dale.

The walk itself goes through several dales and was fairly busy with people of all ages. The route we took goes through Biggin Dale, Wolfscote Dale and Beresford Dale. All of which had glorious white peak countryside on offer.

Soon you come to the turning out of Biggin Dale and into Wolfscote Dale.

Wolfscote Dale is very much like a quieter version of Dovedale. I dread to think what that would have been like on the day. I'm sure the car park and shops there would have done a roaring trade. Anyway Wolfscote Dale...

This next picture would have been a lot more interesting as on the opposite side of the bank (no I don't know how they got there, there isn't a path) was urban dad and his family. Urban dad was obviously ok wearing jeans and trainers, cos he had his over size map case for Google Earth to see and a big stick. Sadly what he didn't have was a path, the support of his family and kids or a dry path across.

He was trying to cross using the weir.

The weir - that has mostly moss covered stones and big bits missing. We sat eating waiting for the inevitable splash, but sadly (and costing me money as I wouldn't have pictures to send to You've Been Framed) someone directed him to a more sensible spot. Hey I work in IT I get my laughs where I can!

So more of Wolfscote, getting more and more White Peak as you go along.

We were going to skip this bridge but a few dog owners didn't have their dogs on leads (despite many warning signs and plenty of sheep and lambs about) so we took a detour across it.

Still as we entered Beresford Dale I got my first attempt at a misty watery type picture (this is 1 of 100 - I kid, I kid, more like one of 6 ;) ). Obviously I'll try again on something more impressive.

Still there were many small weirs and stones to practise on.

Finally a sign to impress upon us the arduous and lofty route we'd taken.

In all seriousness though and excellent days bimble along with some very well behaved company. I doubt he'd manage Kinder Scout in the wet (short legs you see, he'd disappear in the mud) but we may invite him out again.

Thanks to Radder for the inspiration.

* Delete as you see fit
© Dazza
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Biggin and Wolfscote Dale Redux
« Reply #1 on: 22:54:13, 07/05/09 »
Cheers for that Dazza  O0

Another great "Trip Report" I love reading these I love your style of humour that comes with these reports.
I only put a select few up as Im out walking 2-3 days a week (weather/work depending) If I did a report for every walk I did there be no room for anybody else to post  ;D
keep up the good work and can't wait to read the next one

mark

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 04:34:27, 08/05/09 »
I agree, nice report and photo's  ;)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:25:02, 08/05/09 »
Well I do try and ten minutes later I try again  ;)

Seriously though I wish I could get out several days a week you lucky so and so. Two or three times a month is the most I can usually manage. Being on call doesn't help matters either  :( .

I don't post everything as some places I've been to many times before or have been well reported on here already. So I like to have something to add, the only exception I would say is if it's my first time somewhere - for example the Lakes and when we eventually get to Wales and Scotland.

I used to do a 'proper' report with grid refs and everything :). I don't bother so much any more (although if I do any more Stone Circle hunts I may include them there) as the OS map gives the route. Instead I try to give a flavour of the day and a bit of a laugh if I can.

Next time is probably in a weeks time on the eastern edge of Kinder. Sarnie stop will be at the Mad Womans stones I reckon, she better have her own cos I'm not sharing.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:51:12, 08/05/09 »
Hi dazza

Reading you like hunting for stone circles.

Up in Peaks last sunday round Big Moor, White edge, Some great stone circles in that area.
Also there is a very Impressive old cross at Shillitto Woods. Some great walking round that area of the Peak District

mark

BTW

Keep you eyes out for a report, thinking of doing Kinder Round tomorrow  O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:28:49, 09/05/09 »
Big Moor is somewhere I've looked at before but like many place just haven;t got round to it yet.

Not been monument spotting for a while so may have to go on a trip again.
Dazza
--------

chorleydave

« Reply #6 on: 17:59:51, 09/05/09 »
Great photos there.  Exactly the same route I took last year, albeit in the opposite direction - I went anti-clockwise.  You've just inspired me to do it again, in a clockwise direction!

Thanks for sharing.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy