Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292365 times)

Sonatine

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1155 on: 13:13:16, 08/05/20 »
If things get much worse you can always drink the meths  ;D

This is why you should never ask for medical advice online!  :)

Hadrian

« Reply #1156 on: 14:42:39, 08/05/20 »
Nothing much to do but buy supplies and think of better days in the future...

Last couple of weeks I've got:

5L Meths
Ron Hill Momentum trousers
Replacement Sawyer water pouches
Rab SilTarp
Alpkit short sleeping mat
That’s going to be some party  :D

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1157 on: 08:35:21, 13/05/20 »
Having decided that the Deuter Guide 35+ is just a little too small for anything other than an overnighter, I've stepped up and  bought a Guide 45+  rucksack.

Following a one in, one out policy I have have donated my Montane Cobra 25 to the wife for her outdoor swimming gear and will just use the 35+ as a day pack from now on.  I did look at the Osprey Kestrel 48 but with not being able to try on at the moment I went for something I know I'm comfortable with.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1158 on: 13:25:46, 16/05/20 »
In the six or so weeks I've been using a treadmill, I've always worn my walking shoes. It seemed to me that these are a bit more substantial than necessary and even a little clompy, so I've just bought a pair of running shoes for the purpose: Asics Gel-Excite 4 from Sports Direct (sale). Light and meshy and feel comfortable - I'm looking forward to trying them out this afternoon!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1159 on: 21:12:11, 16/05/20 »
I have Asics gel road running trainers WD.  They're very comfortable.  I used them primarily in the gym, including on a treadmill, and still wear them if I'm walking on predominantly hard, flat surfaces.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #1160 on: 09:37:38, 17/05/20 »
I've taken delivery of a couple of new rucksacks in the last week
Osprey Daylite Plus and Atmos AG 50. Also picked up the raincover for the day pack.
First impressions, I am well pleased. The Atmos especially seems a fantastic bit of kit.

Hadrian

« Reply #1161 on: 09:40:16, 17/05/20 »
I've taken delivery of a couple of new rucksacks in the last week
Osprey Daylite Plus and Atmos AG 50. Also picked up the raincover for the day pack.
First impressions, I am well pleased. The Atmos especially seems a fantastic bit of kit.

Good choice on the Daylite Plus - it’s a great day pack.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1162 on: 13:49:25, 18/05/20 »
I've just purchased a Brynge short-sleeved string vest! I took it out of the package and my wife looked at it and said "Its hideous!" I put it on and my wife said "Its still hideous!" My first impression is that its extremely comfortable! I could only buy it in green. With postage £25 from 'UKMCPRO' the cheapest, I could find.

I'm hoping that if the reviews are correct it may be just what I'm looking for, a different way to improve my baselayer experience. I'll let you know soon.

If it does work in the way that I hope I'll buy another one.

Hadrian

« Reply #1163 on: 14:00:13, 18/05/20 »
I've just purchased a Brynge short-sleeved string vest! I took it out of the package and my wife looked at it and said "Its hideous!" I put it on and my wife said "Its still hideous!" My first impression is that its extremely comfortable! I could only buy it in green. With postage £25 from 'UKMCPRO' the cheapest, I could find.

I'm hoping that if the reviews are correct it may be just what I'm looking for, a different way to improve my baselayer experience. I'll let you know soon.

If it does work in the way that I hope I'll buy another one.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective base layer, I’d recommend Mountain Warehouse’s Endurance T-shirt. Very effective at wicking perspiration away, and they’re currently half price.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1164 on: 16:59:36, 18/05/20 »
String vest like this classic design.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1165 on: 17:49:49, 18/05/20 »
If things get much worse you can always drink the meths  ;D
I would recommend Barrettine MMSP.25 250 ml Mineralised Methylated Spirit, Violet
The reviews on amazon are encouraging.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barrettine-MMSP-25-Mineralised-Methylated-Spirit/dp/B0032NEZT4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1HEOUK0PYEQZP&dchild=1&keywords=methylated+spirit&qid=1589820396&sprefix=methylated%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-4
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1166 on: 18:12:38, 18/05/20 »
At £5.87 per 250ml that's the posh stuff, go for the proper rot gut stuff -  Bandoline 250ml from Home Bargains 99p  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Sonatine

« Reply #1167 on: 11:30:11, 23/05/20 »
At £5.87 per 250ml that's the posh stuff, go for the proper rot gut stuff -  Bandoline 250ml from Home Bargains 99p  O0

This is why I buy 5L at a time! Usually £17-20, though the C19 situation has pushed the price up recently; presumably all the ethanol is being diverted into hand gel? Sadly my home bargains isn't posh enough to have meths, as that works out at the same price.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1168 on: 13:13:10, 23/05/20 »
Received a Petzl Actik headtorch for my birthday, as after much abuse my old Petzl Tikka casing has cracked (although it still works just fine). I'll keep the old Tikka for the winter dog walks, the Actik for wild camping and winter hill walking - being caught in the dark on Garburn Pass last December certainly made me think about the consequences of a headtorch failure on the hill.

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/ACTIK
« Last Edit: 14:32:52, 23/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1169 on: 13:17:40, 23/05/20 »
Also just received my sunhat - a Kookaburra cricket sun hat - arrived too late for me to avoid a scorched neck on the Howgills last Wednesday!

https://www.kookaburra.biz/en-gb/cricket/gear/cricket-clothing/kookaburra-cricket-sun-hat/
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy