Author Topic: Dent and Arten Gill or nine standards rigg?  (Read 540 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Dent and Arten Gill or nine standards rigg?
« on: 14:16:03, 29/09/20 »
I know ninthace will have a view.....If things go to plan thursday (IF) I may get train to Dent or Kirby stephen to do one or other....
if twas nine standards I would make my own route.
Other one I have a set 8.5 miler to follow. Want to use my dales discount card before it expires 17th October for the train.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Dent and Arten Gill or nine standards rigg?
« Reply #1 on: 15:48:46, 29/09/20 »
Both good trips, I have walked Garsdale Station, but not Dent, to Ribblehead Station via the Pennine Bridleway/Dales Way and have done Nine Standards from all conceivable directions.  It really depends on what floats your boat and the weather on the day.  You don't say which way you intend to approach Nine Standards from the station so I cannot advise you further.  Enjoy it anyway!
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:38:33, 29/09/20 »
Both good trips, I have walked Garsdale Station, but not Dent, to Ribblehead Station via the Pennine Bridleway/Dales Way and have done Nine Standards from all conceivable directions.  It really depends on what floats your boat and the weather on the day.  You don't say which way you intend to approach Nine Standards from the station so I cannot advise you further.  Enjoy it anyway!
On foot?  ;D  from the west.... Not sure really.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:12:36, 30/09/20 »
I once used Dent station as a stop to get to Sedbergh. HF Holidays had the mistaken belief that I was walk leader material, treated me to a delightful stay and some fun frolics on the Howgill's. I got to Sedbergh by walking from Dent Station along the ridge of Rise Hill and Aye Gill Pike. Seem to remember a rather direct route to gain the ridge that involved throwing pack over some barbed wire and a bit of a climb, but I was 17 years younger, which would have made me in my early sixties.
Walking was good when I got on the ridge, interesting area of sinkholes. I was making free use of Open Access  ;D I think.

It would seem that the sort of independent spirit that takes that sort of route does not make good walk leaders, but I did enjoy the Howgills, and HF holidays escaped 1 year of my services had I been selected as I would have reached their age limit. Phew  :o
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy