Author Topic: Larger sizes for women ????  (Read 15274 times)

Loops

Re: Larger sizes for women ????
« Reply #15 on: 14:06:05, 02/02/11 »
Madmax Jnr

OK ideally what I'm looking for is a pair that are:

1. Suitable for spring to autumn use -zip offs for summer would be good, no need for fleece lining;
2. Tough enough to withstand scrapes against rocks, getting caught on brambles etc without ripping;
3. Water resistant enough so that when my four legged walking companion (that's her in the Avatar!) decides to shake after her water adverntures I don't end up soggy;
4. Pockets to stuff things in for easy access (although I do carry a rucksack, so not an absolute deal breaker);
5. Reasonably loose fitting;
6. Preferrably without seams on the inside leg (but that's really pushing it); and
7. Preferrably in black / neutral colours

I don't really give a stuff about logos, in fact I'm of the "why pay more for a logo?" persuasion.

Last summer I used a pair of M&S' value range cargo trousers but they gave up the ghost at the seams fairly quickly and the pockets always seemed to catch on anything at that height (e.g. door handles) leading to "Oh my god have I just ripped them" moments hence my search for something else this year.

Maybelle

« Reply #16 on: 14:44:08, 02/02/11 »
I've been a size 22 and a size 8 and at both ends of the scale (and sometimes anywhere inbetween) it's blooming hard to find suitable trousers for such activities but rather than go on size when buying things like trousers where both hip and waist measurements vary, I'll generally go by the manufacturers sizing measurements.

Regatta and Craghoppers size 20 and Arcteryx size 16-18 all measure up with a 36" waist (with 46" or 47" hip measurements) whereas Rohans size 20 measure up with a 39" waist and 47" hip.

I also wore a pair of Nike drifit yoga type trousers for walking for ages (until I wore holes in the bottoms) and also now I have a pair of Nike drifit capri style pants that I wear on occasion.
Next do combat style trousers in a vast array of sizes and my OH wore a mens pair for yonks although they are (albeit lightweight) cotton.

Jackie1981

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:06:01, 02/02/11 »
I was a size 24 last summer and struggled to find suitable trousers.  I was ok for coat, just got a bloke one and used the pully waist things to make it fit.  Same with fleece and tops, but trousers were a nightmare!

In the end I just bought some cargo type trousers and wore some thermal pants underneath!  We mostly walk with the kids so didn't do too much in bad weather.  

I'm now a size 18 and hoping that I will have a bit of choice and can buy something a bit better this year!  

Steelystan

« Reply #18 on: 20:17:17, 02/02/11 »
@loops

You just described Paramo.

:)
178/214.

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:23:50, 02/02/11 »
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com

These chaps claim to go up to size 22 - but I only could only find size 20 on their site and Gelert also do trousers up to size 20.

Only Regatta seem to do a 22 - but that's in Navy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Regatta-Ladies-Action-Trousers-10780/dp/B002UARV4G

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:32:24, 02/02/11 »
I have found that this company, SportHill, do a plus size range up to size 32
http://www.sporthill.com/prodlist.php?zonecat=PLUS&gender=w

So the next step would be trying to find out if they have retailers in the UK or will ship to you in the UK

t166er

« Reply #21 on: 22:41:59, 02/02/11 »
Yep, here's one...you're talking poppycock.  :) 

Paramo is the only brand I can wear as I need at least XXL which makes me undisputedly a fat man. Not large, or big boned. Fat. Nonetheless, I haul my lardy carcass up mountain after mountain in relative comfort accompanied these days by my generously proportioned wife who also wears Paramo because they do a separate cut for ladies on everything.

Blimey I even let her speak on the fell, though I can't hear her as I make her walk twenty paces behind.

I read this and thought someone must be stalking me or you are my doppelganger :)
TED.

WHEN YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT!

Steelystan

« Reply #22 on: 22:46:57, 02/02/11 »

I read this and thought someone must be stalking me or you are my doppelganger :)
;D  ;D yep, there's a few of us about working up to our ideal weights!
178/214.

t166er

« Reply #23 on: 22:49:35, 02/02/11 »
;D ;D yep, there's a few of us about working up to our ideal weights!

I'm on this new seafood diet......seafood,eat it. :)
TED.

WHEN YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT!

speedybiker

« Reply #24 on: 23:06:44, 02/02/11 »
Try Berghaus Ladies Navigator trousers which go up to size 18. Roomy fit and not tootight around the legs and bum.

You can buy them cheap at
http://www.marshallleisure.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6265&cPath=67#custom [nofollow]

Do an internet search for them.

I got a pair in TK Max and they are fit perfectly.

'Everywhere is within walking distance, if you have the time'.

http://janeslog.wordpress.com/ [nofollow]

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:54:57, 03/02/11 »
How about these
http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/women/trousers-shorts-and-skirts/product/033070/womens-wishing-tropic-3-in-1-trousers.html?attribute=163551

I have a pair very similar to this and they were great for summer walking. I've had them for two years now and they seem to be wearing pretty well.

Enjoy every sandwich

Loops

« Reply #26 on: 09:57:39, 04/02/11 »
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I shall spend the weekend looking at the suggestions.

rephlex

« Reply #27 on: 17:07:29, 05/02/11 »
I'm interested in a breathable jacket (hardshell, unlined) in a simple size range (20-22 I believe) for a family friend, with a price tag of £60-70 maximum.  Would anyone be able to point her in the right direction to a specific jacket or brand, as 90% of the hiking jackets I've looked at seem unsuitable.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy