Author Topic: Smartphone Alternative Programme to Viewranger  (Read 13165 times)

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
Hi!  I found this on android Market free trail. For £1.74 you purchase licence from these.  http://www.frogsparks.com/mytrails/index.html   O0

It’s called MyTrails. It’s more basic than View ranger. So did a search to check it out to find what it can do. It seemed ok so took a chance.  Yes it does what it says. You can record & follow tracks. Make and down load tracks as a GPX file and save them on the SD card.  I use this thanks to a member on here posting it   http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/   O0
There is a Free trail version and the liecence is ££1.74p

Here’s the best bit s You can save map tiles to the SD card including OS maps, Yes OS Maps, and use them offline  :o :o 

There is no restriction how much you download. It all depends how big your sd card is. My Mobile is a HTC Desire & 16gb SDcard

I have all the lakes and Peak district sorted.  O0 O0
There are over 30 world maps
When you’ve  loaded the GPX  file you can zoom down to 1:50,000, then if you want, down to 1:25,000 scale.  O0

For £1.74   O0 O0
« Last Edit: 17:33:28, 19/05/11 by Ridge Walker »

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Smartphone Alternative Programme to Viewranger
« Reply #1 on: 15:07:51, 19/05/11 »
Sounds too good to be true really - will have a look when I get home. Thanks for that. O0

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:39:04, 19/05/11 »
Might try this on on my Galaxy Tab later.
82/214

ukjeeper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:22:27, 19/05/11 »
Have a look at Backcountry Navigator and Alpine Quest too.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:45:48, 19/05/11 »
Sounds too good to be true really - will have a look when I get home. Thanks for that. O0

Hi thought that so I just down loaded tiles for Ben Nevis. Its best to add waypoint and centre. Its on the OS 1:50,000. Dosnt go down to 1:25,000. 

If you use the walking highlands route maker then down load as gpx file on sd card. Then use MyTrails Then It will zoom down to 1;25,000. If you try to download the same gpx file to viewranger. Dosn't work because you have to have the os maps installed on viewranger at a cost of £90.
I'm still experimenting
« Last Edit: 17:48:45, 19/05/11 by Ridge Walker »

Joseph475

« Reply #5 on: 10:04:32, 20/05/11 »
very interesting.. O0

ukjeeper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:39:58, 20/05/11 »
Might try this on on my Galaxy Tab later.

Works great on my Tab!  8)

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:18:32, 20/05/11 »

Hi thought that so I just down loaded tiles for Ben Nevis. Its best to add waypoint and centre. Its on the OS 1:50,000. Dosnt go down to 1:25,000. 

If you use the walking highlands route maker then down load as gpx file on sd card. Then use MyTrails Then It will zoom down to 1;25,000. If you try to download the same gpx file to viewranger. Dosn't work because you have to have the os maps installed on viewranger at a cost of £90.
I'm still experimenting
I hate to quibble but you don't need to spend anything never mind 90 quid on viewranger.  If you pay their opening 15 pounds you get tons of free map downloads included.

Rob

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:44:53, 21/05/11 »
I hate to quibble but you don't need to spend anything never mind 90 quid on viewranger.  If you pay their opening 15 pounds you get tons of free map downloads included.
Rob

Hi Rob
I did the post suggesting a cheaper alternitive to other programes.  :)

View Ranger for £15 Great Britain 1:50k (up to 14,800 sqkm), 1:25k (up to 630 sqkm).  The £90 mentioned is for all of the UK

Mytrails you can download all of GB OS maps on an SD card + over 30 world maps to use off line £1.74p.

You save your selected 1:50,00 map tiles giving it a name. You can download as many map tiles as you want depending the radius specified. You load the selected map. Its there offline. When you pan if not conected it will only show map saved. If conected it will download tiles ajacent. Also whats good is you can zoom down to 1:25,000

Just think having all the OS maps on an SD card rather than using paper maps. No more blowing in the wind  ;D
I ve tried the old way with a compass and my mobile. It's easy to take bearings and dos'nt blow about  O0

Great not just for GPS but as an alternitive to paper maps using a compass the old way  O0 
« Last Edit: 09:08:02, 21/05/11 by Ridge Walker »

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:00:33, 21/05/11 »
Have a look at Backcountry Navigator and Alpine Quest too.

Blackcounty Navigator looks good.  O0

Alpine Quest dos'nt seem to have the OS maps

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:17:48, 22/05/11 »

Hi Rob
I did the post suggesting a cheaper alternitive to other programes.  :)

View Ranger for £15 Great Britain 1:50k (up to 14,800 sqkm), 1:25k (up to 630 sqkm).  The £90 mentioned is for all of the UK

That's correct but that is not what you said above - what you originally posted was misleading.  I'm not saying your suggestion isn't a good one - I've not looked at it.

Rob

roddyp

« Reply #11 on: 12:58:30, 24/05/11 »
Mytrails looks good as a map viewer, but I think you can't *legally* download large quantities of OS 1:50K or 1:25K mapping. Tools like MOBAC which allowed you to do scrape this from websites have (unsurprisingly) had cease-and-desist letters from most of the mapping providers...  Look at the list of 'deleted' map sources here: http://mobac.sourceforge.net/
I am just going outside, and may be some time.

Read my blog at http://butnoidea.co.uk

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:03:29, 24/05/11 »
Mytrails looks good as a map viewer, but I think you can't *legally* download large quantities of OS 1:50K or 1:25K mapping. Tools like MOBAC which allowed you to do scrape this from websites have (unsurprisingly) had cease-and-desist letters from most of the mapping providers...  Look at the list of 'deleted' map sources here: http://mobac.sourceforge.net/

Hi! you don't need  software like mobac when you have a brill  planner like Walkinghighlands GPS route planner which is free.  O0   

It's not ilegal to download OS maps if they have a lcience similar to View ranger.

On there ads its say you can save any maps offline thats shown. OS happens to be one. If they are not licenced then thats their problem  ;)

If you use Walkinghighlands route planner which uses OS Maps. then save as a GPX file its downloads to Mytrails, you can go down to 1:25K O0   

If you use Viewranger then it dosn't you have to have buy the relevent OS MAP tiles. 

Also as I said in my last post great alternitive to paper maps.  for £1.76p can't fault  O0   
« Last Edit: 16:23:54, 24/05/11 by Ridge Walker »

roddyp

« Reply #13 on: 17:18:48, 24/05/11 »
OK, I'm confused now! ???

* WalkHighlands GPS planner is indeed great, but it only lets you create a GPX file
   * GPX files don't contain the map, just a list of waypoints.

So, where are you getting the OS maps that you use with MyTrails - Can you give me a link?

The MyTrails website is down at the moment, otherwise I'd try it myself...

I am just going outside, and may be some time.

Read my blog at http://butnoidea.co.uk

Keeby

« Reply #14 on: 17:25:11, 24/05/11 »
I'm another recommendation for Back Country Navigator. It has OS maps which can be saved to SD card.
Keith

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy