Author Topic: Paramo  (Read 15086 times)

botty

• Veteran Member
Paramo
« on: 19:41:54, 14/02/13 »
Simple question - what are their summer jackets like?

And please don't say "well they have arms and a hood" or something similar ;)

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Paramo
« Reply #1 on: 21:12:48, 14/02/13 »
Depends what you mean.

If you're talking about a garment made of the Nikwax 'Analogy' fabric, well, I wouldn't want to wear one on my top half on a hot day.  They do windproof smocks and other garments not made of the 'Analogy' that would probably serve warmer weather (if not warm and wet conditions) much better.

I get the impression from most WF discussion on the subject that Paramo is a 'Marmite' brand.  Love it or hate it.
solvitur ambulando

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:35:28, 14/02/13 »
I'm not clear either?
I have Paramo kit, can't say it gets too hot.
But I don't trust it...
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:13:10, 15/02/13 »
I've got some Paramo kit. Indeed jacket I use most is a Paramo Velez Adventure Light. Done over 3000 miles in it in comfort, no real problems. I walk cold, so find it okay with side zips completely undone on most summers days. And very easy to slip on and off. But if you walk warm would not be good for summer.

Main downside I've found is that you have to look after very carefully to maintain waterproofing. You need to wash pretty frequently (and make sure not even a trace of detergent gets anywhere near them when washing), and re-proof about every 12/ 18 months.

They do...as said already... sell windproof jackets that are probably fine for many summers days, and apparently these when used with a Paramo fleece form a waterproof combo (even though neither is waterproof on their own.) I own a couple of these, but haven't used them extensively yet, so can't say more.

Charlieslater

« Reply #4 on: 09:07:14, 15/02/13 »
Think this says abit about me, I looked at your post because I thought it said "Parmo"
Pork or chicken, it matters not a jot to me! ;D
53 years old=only 4 more world cups/Olympic games.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:03:52, 15/02/13 »
Think this says abit about me, I looked at your post because I thought it said "Parmo"
Pork or chicken, it matters not a jot to me! ;D

Just as well, given the "accuracy" of our food labelling. :-\

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:55:28, 15/02/13 »
Sorry for not being that clear, I mean as s summer waterproof. I do walk warm and currently have a Berghaus RG1, North Face Resolve and Karrimor Alpiniste as my 'summer jackets' The Karrimor is the newest and the best for warmer weather, but having lots of my own insulation I've thought about something very light and like the softer Paramo materials.

wobblyknees

« Reply #7 on: 22:49:07, 15/02/13 »
In summer I mostly wear a Paramo Fuera jacket. It's windproof, highly water resistant and easily the most breathable item of clothing I own. It's never let me down in the wet but maybe that's because if I know I'm going to encounter long heavy rain, I'll opt for my Paramo Alta. I usually bring a Keela stashaway waterproof as a backup to the Fuera but it's a bit 'boil in the bagish'.

Caution. If you think Paramo clothing is generously sized, the Fuera is very generously sized as it's designed to be worn over something else (a Taiga fleece possibly). I bought the same size as my Alta jacket and it's way larger. I think the Fuera Ascent and Crest are smaller sized than the one called just Fuera.

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:10:02, 15/02/13 »
I did have the Paramo Fuera jacket, but give it to my Mum and instead got a Fuera smock, which is great. This can worn with the Paramo Explorer pull-on shirt, that the two work well together, bearing in mind, that the Explorer shirt can be reversed in cool or warm conditions.

But smocks are not everyone's favorite cup of tea, but I love them for the simplicity. I tend to re-proof mine with Nikwax TX-10 every now and again.

marc1970

« Reply #9 on: 23:36:26, 15/02/13 »
I only wear a waterproof when it rains and a wind shirt if it's windy. That way I find I extremely rarely have to re-waterproof a jacket. I keep looking at Paramo, but because there are a lot of comments about it being warm, I tend to get put off. Having to waterproof it so often makes me doubt it's integrity, probably right at the time when I would need it.

Stevie

« Reply #10 on: 16:23:49, 17/02/13 »
The trousers are good, waterproof , full length zips  with press studs on the inside so you can fully unzip them when it's warm

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:44:13, 20/02/13 »
Just found this, wish I'd seen it before :(

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ParamoSeconds?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

wobblyknees

« Reply #12 on: 09:00:08, 21/02/13 »
That's where I bought all my Paramo gear for my wife and self (3 Altas, 2 Cascada pants, 1 Fuera). I examined them all and could not find any imperfections.

I suspect Paramo indulge in brand elitism -i.e. keeping prices artifically high in the shops and on their main website while benefiting from high turnover on this site.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:46:31, 21/02/13 »
I suspect Paramo indulge in brand elitism -i.e. keeping prices artifically high in the shops and on their main website while benefiting from high turnover on this site.

I've just had a loook on the site. I can't believe they are asking - in some cases - as much as £189 for a second. I know they aren't all that sort of price, but crikey - I think that's a bit cheeky!  :o

Mind you, I personally wouldn't buy Paramo anyway.

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:19:07, 22/02/13 »

I've just had a loook on the site. I can't believe they are asking - in some cases - as much as £189 for a second. I know they aren't all that sort of price, but crikey - I think that's a bit cheeky!  :o

They are clear about why each item is reduced in price, the jacket at £189 is £297 to £310 on Amazon and has only been worn in a field test. Many of the items have simply ex-display , some just have cosmetic imperfections.

Each to their own though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy