Author Topic: Socks - help us choose please  (Read 16130 times)

kevnmich

Socks - help us choose please
« on: 14:42:42, 04/03/13 »
Hi,
   Thanks to the taxman im looking to treat Mich and myself to a nice good quality pair of walking socks and on looking at all the different makes/types etc im staring at the screen like a rabbit in headlights, lol.
Basically im looking for something that will keep your feet warm in cooler conditions but cool in warmer conditions, if that makes sense.
I've been using some 'walking' socks from sports direct that were 3 pairs for £2.49 and they are ok for work and every day wear i guess but when im walking i find my feet get warm to the point where i could happily take my shoes and socks off and dip my feet into a stream we pass so i think its time to buy some 'proper' walking socks to stop them getting too warm but at the same time not get too cold if the weather is a bit 'fresh' like it has been lately. Also, some extra cushion on the insole/ball and heel would be nice as well. Does such a sock exist or am i asking too much and will need to get 'cooler' socks for the summer and warmer socks for the winter months?
Mich's feet tho tend to get cold a lot easier than some people, something to do with her blood type or low blood pressure or something, cant remember now so i guess she could use something a little warmer.
If anyone can suggest some we could try, that would be awesome and would be really grateful.
Sorry for rambling on (no pun intended) but thanks for reading and hope it makes sense.

yeti

• Veteran Member
Re: Socks - help us choose please
« Reply #1 on: 15:41:19, 04/03/13 »
Always find the Bridgedale range well worth the money O0 . Different styles for seasons and suitability for your independent use. At first I thought they were too expensive for what they were. Wear nothing else now. Tried Thousand Mile socks and they're good but I'm not as impressed.
R.I.P. Dave.

SunnySpeyside

« Reply #2 on: 16:25:38, 04/03/13 »
Yes Bridgedale for me too - I wear the Trekker ones for comfort and support and the thicker ones in sub zero temperatures ( I find the thicker variety go a bit bobbly afer a couple of washes but this does not seem to affect their performance).
I have also tried 'Smart Wool' and 'Cool max' socks but don't feel they last as well as the Bridgedale - so worth paying that little bit extra.
Cheers
'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away'
Emerson

Stottie

« Reply #3 on: 18:09:57, 04/03/13 »
Teko...Not cheap, but best for my needs.
No sock will be "right" for each person's unique physiology in all conditions, unless J K Rowling gets you some from Diagon Alley.

For what it's worth, I wear a pair of Coolmax liner socks with whichever "weight" of Teko socks I choose for the conditions.  People tell me I don't need the liners, and you'll decide whether that's true for you.  In hot weather I stop every couple of hours and switch to dry socks, then I attach the damp pairs to my waist belt or rucksack to dry out.  A 5-10 minute rest while changing the socks gives my feet a chance to air, and I find I'm much more comfortable and don't get any skin problems like blisters.

There are plenty of people who tell you not to take your boots off during the day, because you won't be able to get them on again.  I have never had any trouble in that respect.  Try for yourself (in a non-critical situation, because if you had to call the rescue services for that reason you would never live it down!!!)

Ditchd

« Reply #4 on: 18:43:16, 04/03/13 »
I'm with the bridgdale crowd.

They're a good fit for me , decent quality and longevity and not too expensive.

I did think £10+ was pricey for socks but once you've tried them .

inline

« Reply #5 on: 19:02:19, 04/03/13 »
www.smartwool.com/
Their extra heavy crew sock the warmest sock i have worn..... support/comfort also very good O0
UTV-SOTC

Jellybelly

« Reply #6 on: 19:07:24, 04/03/13 »
Always find the Bridgedale range well worth the money O0 . Different styles for seasons and suitability for your independent use. At first I thought they were too expensive for what they were. Wear nothing else now. Tried Thousand Mile socks and they're good but I'm not as impressed.

this

and nothing else
Is that so

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:18:25, 04/03/13 »

this

and nothing else

Ahhh, the naked rambler is a forumite  :D ;D

... And now I'm editing this to add my constructive comment !!!

I got some Regatta Coolmax Trail / Hiking socks (going cheap in Makro) - quite impressed with those for keeping my feet warm without them overheating and getting that clammy feeling that "normal" socks create.  For my limited mileage (about 5 or 6 miles) they are more than adequate - and the seem to have solved the "sore" soles of my feet problem too  :)

Debsyd

« Reply #8 on: 19:31:36, 04/03/13 »
I also like the Bridgedales but in the ladies range avoid the lighter summer ones which are thinner and shorter. They are the only socks that have caused me to get blisters from my well worn in boots!
The longer thicker range with no seams are fabulous.
I'm not arguing with you, I'm explaining why I'm right............

kevnmich

« Reply #9 on: 19:46:11, 04/03/13 »
Oh wow! Thanks for all the replies. Felt pressured into replying to this thread as was just pointed out by someone 'who's not superstitious' to post something as was stuck on the 13th post, lol.
Anyway, just ordered us 2 pairs of Bridgedale woolfusion trekking socks. Thanks for the suggestions  :)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 04:08:49, 05/03/13 »
I use Bridgedale summit for winter and Bridgedale trekker for summer use.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:11:39, 05/03/13 »
I use Aldi socks at £2.49 a pair, cotton lined and wonderfully comfortable.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:38:25, 05/03/13 »
Well I'm the odd one out, only using Brasher socks  O0   I use them because they work for me in all weathers, don't have itchy wool in them, and best of all were half the price of Bridgedales !

Rob.

Calas Small Tiger Hunter

« Reply #13 on: 22:40:55, 05/03/13 »
I wear odd socks so if i lose one i can just buy another one dunt matter what it looks like .
   the regatta ones are good value n comfy fer the pennies though .  can anyone lend me a sock please .  ???

Might as well Jump , go ahead Jump ...

MJH

« Reply #14 on: 01:55:41, 06/03/13 »
I use aldi lined walking socks, lidl hiking socks (also sold as cycling socks, motorbike socks, fishing socks, [censored] socks etc, depending what theme that weeks sales is) and brasher socks cheap at sports direct.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy