Author Topic: Dedicated GPS over Smartphones?  (Read 15191 times)

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
Re: Dedicated GPS over Smartphones?
« Reply #90 on: 17:16:59, 01/05/14 »
Relying solely on a GPS or sofware on a Smartphone is a hazardous strategy. Don't take it from me:-
http://www.lamrt.org.uk/mountain-safety-advice/tips/make-sure-you-can-navigate
To be fair that is just one groups opinion. Most MRTs use viewranger on smartphones so it's a bit hypocritical although they no doubt use map and compass as well but equally I'd expect them to also use standard GPS. I always liken it to driving around London - would you use an a-to-z or a sat nav ?

Rob.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 17:39:44, 01/05/14 »

I think the original poster was referring to GPS/Smartphone as a back-up to his Map/Compass combo.

That's what I do, and is surely common sense, however some seem to inferring that it's ok to go without map and compass. Maybe ok for them but it's hardly anything to recommend is it.
Even Viewranger agree you should always take map and compass. http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/other/safety-advice

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 18:49:24, 01/05/14 »
I think we're off topic here but my view is that both ViewRanger and others are simply suggesting not to rely on an electronic device. It can fail and you should have a back up. My choice (recently)  is that the backup to my GPS is my smartphone with VR.  I accept others might not be comfortable with that and prefer a map and compass.

My SAR team use a mix of smartphones with VR and GPS. We also carry a map. We've never had to use it and I suspect we never will: should someone's electronic device fail we'd use somebody else's as it gives far more info than a paper map, including a clear track of where we've searched.
« Last Edit: 19:32:24, 01/05/14 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 22:42:22, 01/05/14 »
Each to their own, I guess, at least the topic raiser should have plenty of opinions to make his own judgement, on which is best for himself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy