Author Topic: Good beginner boots  (Read 14189 times)

medavidcook

Good beginner boots
« on: 19:00:06, 15/03/15 »
Hey,

New to hiking, i am looking for a good boots for a beginner?

Any help will be great.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Good beginner boots
« Reply #1 on: 19:07:47, 15/03/15 »
OK the BIG question, how much do you want to pay?

My current boots cost about £170 but I will eventually get the wear out of them, do you want to invest now or come in at a lower level and possibly trade up later.

medavidcook

« Reply #2 on: 19:46:54, 15/03/15 »
I would rather not spend to much now but for the right boot i might.

medavidcook

« Reply #3 on: 19:51:37, 15/03/15 »
I have been looking at these
http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/118621-berghaus-mens-expeditor-aq-boots.html#read_more

should i go for a size above my normal size?

waldershelf

« Reply #4 on: 19:58:00, 15/03/15 »
Berghaus have a well earned reputation for making good equipment at sensible prices, go and try them on, if they are comfy buy them. I'm sure we will have some one along soon that will tell you if you spend less than £200 on boots you won't make it to the shops but you will be fine, you don't need to spend a fortune on gear for Sunday walks in the hills in this country.
« Last Edit: 20:01:35, 15/03/15 by waldershelf »

waldershelf

« Reply #5 on: 20:00:26, 15/03/15 »
NT

medavidcook

« Reply #6 on: 20:01:31, 15/03/15 »
I have looked at this for a while now, so will look at trying them on,

Just not sure about size so lets hope they have them in stock

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:15:42, 15/03/15 »
They are a recognised make and look a good boot but the important thing is to try them on.

Most people take either a half or full size above their normal shoe size. I subscribe to the 2 sock fraternity so take with you a thin pair and a thick walking pair to wear when you try the boots on.
The only important thing is that they fit well.

I'm going to disagree with waldershelf, there are good boots at all prices and I don't think anyone will be advising you to spend huge amounts at the start if you don't want to.

medavidcook

« Reply #8 on: 20:36:22, 15/03/15 »
Yeh i don't plan on spending £200 yet, will try the 2 pairs of sock thing and see how it goes.

welshwiz

« Reply #9 on: 20:41:47, 15/03/15 »
Ive been using the Berghaus Expiditors for the last 8 months.
They are light comfortable and so far waterproof O0 . Used them on many walks in the mountains, including light snow.
As a decent boot can recommend them
To many mountains, not enough time.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:00:11, 15/03/15 »
I have never spent more than £85 for my boots . The most recent pair, Asolos; (Raichle before that) were from Gaynors in Ambleside and were most likely marked down. I've never had a blister, except the day I did the Y3P (and that was more of a hot spot), and i have managed all the Wainwrights. So you don't need to spend loads for blister free walking. Just make sure you try your boots on with the socks you will wear for walking; make sure that they feel comfy and not too loose either and fingers crossed you will be fine. I'm sure you can spend less than I spent and still get good walking out of them.

I quite fancy getting a new pair soon - they are becoming more lightweight; but also my sons now have leather ones and I'm considering trying them (had a leather pair when I was 19). their shoes cost around the £120 mark i believe - just haven't spent that much on myself!!!!

Hope you find something and get out for some lovely walking!

medavidcook

« Reply #11 on: 21:06:16, 15/03/15 »
yeh i think i will spend a little on me first, seen a few, just need to find shops now

cbr6fs

« Reply #12 on: 21:23:17, 15/03/15 »
Worth trying some trail runners as well  O0

Brands like Inov8 and Salomon are a good start  O0

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:25:59, 15/03/15 »
Go to a shop that will measure your feet properly.  Don't assume the size you have been buying the last X number of years is the right one!  Fabric boots are comfier out of the box, but leather will probably last longer.

Also don't get to hung up with recommendations (unless its comments on leaking or falling apart) as the boots that fit my feet might be awful for you, unless your feet are shaped like mine and you are carrying the same weight, etc. 

Its a woolly answer but the best boots are the ones that fit you. 

(I wear Keen shoes incase you wondered)

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:21:44, 16/03/15 »
I thought the two pairs of socks idea was from fifty years ago when most boots were clumsy rigid affairs. I can remember people having the second pair turned down over the collar of the boots. If the boots fit, one pair of proper walking socks will give the best degree of comfort.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy