Author Topic: Mens walking trousers  (Read 14369 times)

Matt010791

Mens walking trousers
« on: 21:39:44, 17/10/16 »
Hi, I'm needing some new trousers but I'm after a more slimmer fit. Has anyone got any recommendations as theres that many to choose from. Thanks

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Mens walking trousers
« Reply #1 on: 22:12:42, 17/10/16 »
Craghoppers Kiwi's come in all shapes and sizes so you should be able got some that fit.  I don't think you need anything more sophisticated for walking in the UK.
Not all those who wander are lost

Matt010791

« Reply #2 on: 22:14:34, 17/10/16 »
thanks, ill check them out O0

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:16:38, 17/10/16 »
My current "go to" walking trousers are a pair of Montane Terra Stretch.  Nice comfortable fit, not too tight to be restrictive but then again not to loose to be a windsock either.   A bit heavier than the basic Montane Terra's but as a general purpose walking trouser I think I'll be hard pushed to find anything else I quite like as much.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

breakfastshow

« Reply #4 on: 02:12:02, 18/10/16 »
I've long had a kind of fetish about hiking trousers, but I don't have any recommendations. I'm looking.

Extremely thin, light nylon fabric is key criteria for me, because of its versatility. I'd also like to not look like Captain Kirk or Colonel Klink or Daniel Boone (i.e., no "outdoor styling" please).

What I've worn for about 15 years are 100% nylon, tightly woven and weigh about 280 grams. Most available trousers are heavier, and many use a disqualifying element of cotton.If it's even slightly cold, I also wear long-legged underwear of varied weights. Typically I roll up the cuffs, sometimes almost to the knee.

They are light enough to be worn in fairly hot weather (typical northeastern U.S. summer). As an outer "shell" they are suitable in somewhat severe winter conditions. The fabric is reasonably windproof. It dries from a complete soaking within about an hour, depending on weather.

The model I've worn is over-priced, cheaply cut and baggy and the stitching is only fair. Baggy is okay but these are a little extreme in that regard. I don't go for "convertible" pants. These look fairly normal and can even be used as quasi-casual office wear.

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:04:11, 18/10/16 »
Craghoopers Kiwi pro. Very light, stretchy and comfortable.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:05:53, 18/10/16 »
I've been waiting for a thread like this to come along! Below are my recent experiences of walking trousers.

In July I bought a pair of Pinewood 'Finnvedon' trousers, made in Sweden, cost me £40-ish. They really looked the business, strong, well-made, had all the thigh pockets, etc. and they were a perfect fit on me other than the legs being about an inch too long.

Wearing for walking, they were windproof but their breathable claim was debateable, for they felt a bit clammy on the legs. They also claimed to be quick drying but the material is 65% polyester and 35% cotton, and when I wore them on a 3.5 days backpacking trip in wet and misty Wales they gradually became damper and damper, they simply never dried out. They'll be appearing on eBay when I get around to it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone on here buys them.

To replace them I bought a pair of Tog 24 'Reno' for £35-ish. Again, they are well made and a good fit on me. There are a suitable number of pockets, though I would say the hand pockets, which are mesh, could be a bit deeper. The material is i00% polyamide (nylon) which I have found to dry very fast on the line, though I've yet to experience wearing them in damp conditions (I'm in a dryer part of the country to many of you!)

They are extremely light weight and I was afraid the wind was going to whistle through them, but in use I find them to be moderately windproof. One thing I didn't like at first, when I tried them on and was walking around the house and garden in them, was that I could feel the material sort of dragging against the fronts of my thighs above my knees, but when I went for my first day walk in them I didn't notice it, so no problem. The material has a rather cold feel, though, not soft and cosy, and because of this I don't think they'll become a favourite pair of trousers.

EDIT: As the OP said he was after a slimmer fit, I should add that I am 5 ft 11 in tall with matchstick legs and a small bum, on which the above models fit well. Over the years I have bought Craghopper Kiwis for daily wear, currently having 3 pairs in my wardrobe (old, everyday and best), and I have always found these to be baggy around my thighs and backside, while they would fall down if I didn't wear a belt. They are clearly made for "chunkier" bodies than mine.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:38:25, 18/10/16 »
I dislike pockets on the thighs so am always looking for walking trousers without them. My biggest mistake was to buy a pair of Peter Storm's, they are fine to wear on a day to day basis and they are very comfortable, but if I walk uphill a lot, especially in hot weather, they make the area just above my knees red-raw! The trousers are just too well cut at this point so every step up, combined with sweat, is like wearing sandpaper against your skin.

I have a pair from Columbia and they are fine.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:55:55, 18/10/16 »
Craghoopers Kiwi pro. Very light, stretchy and comfortable.

Yep, one of my favs  O0
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:18:00, 18/10/16 »
I dislike pockets on the thighs so am always looking for walking trousers without them.

When I was searching for what to buy there appeared to be as many, if not more, without thigh pockets than with them, so there is a choice for both camps!

I like to stuff my fleece hat in a thigh pocket if it becomes too warm wearing it, or my sun hat if it clouds over for a while. I've yet to have owned any trousers with a thigh pocket wide enough to put a OS 1:25,000 map in without the sides of the card cover getting damaged.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:02:32, 18/10/16 »
Rhoan Bags, are very high quality cotton trousers, that will last many many years, and are available for around £40 or so.

Their not waterproof, but extremely windproof, and dry very quickly.

Rohan having been manufacturing these cotton walking trousers for decades, and the fact they are still being produced, is testimony to a well designed product.
Ive still got a similar designed pair of Mountain Equipment Freestyle trousers, that i bought back in 1979.
They are still in excellent condition, and over the years the cotton has discolored, but all the zips are in good working condition, and there are numerous pockets to keep essential items.

My original Mountain Equipment freestyle trousers are the oldest bit of kit i still own, that gets regular use, and the polycotton dries very quickly on a dry windy day.

Ive just checked Rhoans main website, and i could not quite believe how many different designed walking trousers they now manufacture.

The Bags are still there, but so are around ten other similarly designed higher spec trousers, all manufactured to Rhoans high quality.

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:46:07, 18/10/16 »
Yep, one of my favs  O0

£25 at Gaynor Sports O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:01:52, 18/10/16 »
Nice spot Wayne though you might have just cost me some cash  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Daveyboy

« Reply #13 on: 15:45:59, 18/10/16 »

Re: Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch

Only a slightly dearer than Gaynor's but a bigger selection of sizes & leg lengths available

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p114446-craghoppers-mens-kiwi-pro-active-trousers-black-cmj322-800/

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:05:20, 18/10/16 »
Rab Vector pants for me, although I do have some Montane Terra's and kiwis too.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy