Author Topic: Horseshoe Falls & Castell Dinas Bran - Llangollen 09/03/17  (Read 2550 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Plan A was to walk Creigiau Eglwyseg from Trevor Rocks to World's End and return on the OD Way along the bottom of the escarpment. However just as I'm about to leave I was asked to do three small jobs. 90 minutes later I finally get under way but realise that I would have insufficient time to do Eglwyseg so a change of plan was called for.

Initially I headed for the Horseshoe Falls just 2 miles west of Llangollen. Despite having regularly driven along the A5 I had never been to the falls. They are situated close to the main road but cannot be seen from it. I parked up and walked over to the gate leading to the falls and the initial view literally took my breath away.

The Falls are actually a weir which serves to divert the river water into the Llangollen Canal as required, the water eventually ending up in a large reservoir near Nantwich for the good folks of Cheshire

Reckon I could quite happily take the bus here on a hot day and chill out with some food and a little alcoholic refreshment , but that might be for the future. I then walked back towards the A5 to look at the historic Chain Bridge over the Dee currently awaiting restoration.
Part of the Eglwyseg escarpment can be seen beyond the bridge

Then it was back to the car, drive into Llangollen park up and mooch around to buy food before setting off to walk to Castell Dinas Bran, It's a straight forward walk initially up Wharf Hill and then following good paths gently uphill until turning east onto a flattish area known as The Pancake. At this point I got the first full view of the castle ruins.

As I walked uphill towards the zig-zag approach path I gained a good view of the limestone Eglwyseg escarpment

Eventually I reached the ruins. Very little remains of the original castle. In fact it only had an 'operational'  life from 1260 until 1277 when the Welsh burnt it down to avoid it falling into English hands.

A view eastwards. The viaduct over the Dee carrying the Chirk to Ruabon railway line is visible in the distance but Telford's famous aqueduct is hidden behind Trevor Rocks

A final view of Eglwyseg from the castle ruins

And a final look back to the castle hill

Not a long day out but an enjoyable one in the Spring sunshine and for getting some rust out of my moving parts.
« Last Edit: 16:22:52, 11/03/17 by Penygadair »

Mel

• Veteran Member
I went to reply to this last night but my session had timed out/logged me out.  Lovely report and pics  O0   I've got a walk route for Eglwyseg and Castell Dinas Bran and seeing your pics makes me want to nudge it up the priority list a bit. 

At least you got some sunshine  :D   

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Nice photos Pen, looks an interesting walk  :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
I've got a walk route for Eglwyseg and Castell Dinas Bran and seeing your pics makes me want to nudge it up the priority list a bit. 

If you fancy company when you do it let me know. I'm only an hour away.

Can't promise your favourite heavy rain but......... ;D ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
 O0   Will do.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Nice pics and a great place, brings back memories of paddling my canoe down the river dee to horseshoe falls  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Stunning photos Penygadair  O0

Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the comments people. Great to see April and Beefy back on the forum  O0

TWHC

Fantastic pictures, just makes you want to get out and walk. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy