Author Topic: Jaunt round Holy Island  (Read 1314 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Jaunt round Holy Island
« on: 14:32:19, 10/07/17 »
Saturday was my first day walking since returning from the alps last weekend.  Six days of up and down alpine passes had left my tendinitis in my achilles a little sore so I decided to do an easier walk and, as the family were staying in the Conway area for the week I headed to Holyhead to do a circuit of Holy Island.  I had spent my childhood holidays in a caravan opposite Holyhead but, other than South Stack had never visited the coastline between Holyhead and Trearddur Bay.

Due to a 4 a.m. drop off at Liverpool airport I was walking shortly after six in complete peace, and, contrary to the last forecast I ahd seen, in beautiful sunshine

I parked just before Holyhead, so the first part of the walk took me through the town, past the ferry port and outer port, before taking me onto the coast proper.

Early morning coastline view of Holyhead breakwater

The sea was a perfect blue and extremely calm - very peaceful
View over the sea, Skerries and its lighthouse on the left and Carmel Head on the right

Looking back over the breakwater - I had never realised quite how bendy it is!

The path rises relatively gently giving wonderful sea views.  After an hour or so North Stack is reached, with a fantastic view of its famous partner, South Stack

At this point i took in the peak of Holyhead Mountain and, in descending, managed to lose the path and found myself with hands on rock clambering over all sorts of unfriendly ground - gave the local dog walkers something to laugh about.

Next stop was the cliffs around south Stack;
This one looking back to North Stack

This one of guillemots I think (I'm no twitcher)

And a last one of South Stack

I continued round towards Trearddur Bay but, unfortunately the camera I have used for the last three years finally died!

Wonderful walk - beautiful scenery and a change from the high stuff - 14 miles with only 485 metres of vertical - felt positively bouncy at the end!

« Last Edit: 14:35:54, 10/07/17 by pdstsp »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Jaunt round Holy Island
« Reply #1 on: 14:37:31, 10/07/17 »
Just realised I posted two pictures the same - both of the Holyhead breakwater - this was the one I meant to post second!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:55:46, 10/07/17 »
Nice pictures, Pdstp  O0  I really like the one of the snaking breakwater and it looks like you had pretty much perfect walking weather.

I've visited South Stack before but not really explored beyond its immediate vicinity. We had a mooch around some of the nearby hut circles and we did the lighthouse tour which was interesting. You've made me think a return visit might be in order!  :)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:22:00, 10/07/17 »
Enjoyed the pics and write up
Never realised how the breakwater bends yet I've sailed by it many times.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:46:56, 11/07/17 »
Nice pictures, Pdstp  O0  I really like the one of the snaking breakwater and it looks like you had pretty much perfect walking weather.

I've visited South Stack before but not really explored beyond its immediate vicinity. We had a mooch around some of the nearby hut circles and we did the lighthouse tour which was interesting. You've made me think a return visit might be in order!  :)

Cheers adalard - it really was worthwhile - quite a lot of little off shoots to explore too, and the coastline was beautiful - I was gutted my camera chose this walk to die as the seascape towards Trearddur Bay was also very photogenic!

Enjoyed the pics and write up
Never realised how the breakwater bends yet I've sailed by it many times.

Me too - we had a caravan at Penrhyn Bay, opposite Holyhead and about three or four miles by boat, for many years in the 1960s and 70s. I used to sail with my dad in our 12 foot dinghy over to Holyhead for an ice cream on a nice day, and I never realised there were two bends - makes a great sight!  Brought back a lot of happy memories on Saturday.

However I think that's the end of peaceful for a while as my eldest wants to do Crib Goch with me this weekend.  If anyone else is up there be patient with the bald bloke on all fours.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy