Author Topic: Ben More, Mull  (Read 6419 times)

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: Ben More, Mull
« Reply #15 on: 18:00:03, 31/03/10 »
A quick spot of googling found him... Ian Mitchell and the book was called The Isles of the West. As I say it was an interesting read, even if I was a little wary of the agenda he laid out...

http://www.newstatesman.com/200001100030

http://www.countryclubuk.com/ci/ci79-corncrake.pdf
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

ChrisJB

« Reply #16 on: 16:52:48, 02/04/10 »
A quick spot of googling found him... Ian Mitchell and the book was called The Isles of the West. As I say it was an interesting read, even if I was a little wary of the agenda he laid out...

I might try and get hold of a copy of that.  Sounds most interesting.  The R.S.P.B does tend to polarise people.  One one hand anyone who protects swathes of countryside/habitat from ruination/development can't be all bad, yet on the other hand, their stance on eagle owls in GB left me bewildered.  I'm no longer a member as their reserves are just far too busy these days and I don't visit them often enough.  Besides, membership is pricey.
In terms of the global status of the corncrake, as far as I am aware, they are declining across their range, in some places faster than others, due to ever intensifying farming behaviours to feed an ever growing global population.  I think the decline here in GB has been alarmingly fast though as they have no room to 'spread out' and move the same as they might in a larger continental area.  I suspect periods of drought in sub Saharan Africa hasn't helped their cause either.
Cheers for the book heads up.

Regards, Chris

ChrisJB

« Reply #17 on: 22:37:05, 09/07/10 »
I suppose I should've done this sooner, but we had a glorious week on Mull and the top of Ben More was clear virtually all week.  I did make it to the top as well and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was a bit of a slog, but it was one of those days when I felt really good and fit and I was on the summit relatively quickly.  I really liked the top and spent a good hour or so hanging about and soaking up the view.  I'd put some photos on, but I don't know how to.

Regards, Chris

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:42:30, 09/07/10 »
  I'd put some photos on, but I don't know how to.

Oh please learn! We like those photos on here!  I use Photobucket, many use Tinypic...
solvitur ambulando

ChrisJB

« Reply #19 on: 22:58:09, 10/07/10 »
Photobucket?  I thought that was a place for chucking my duff prints.  I was hoping for a photo upload system on here like they have on the Wild About Britain website.  Even a numbhead like me can do that one.

Regards, Chris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy