Author Topic: Mourne Wall Walk  (Read 9381 times)

Maresa

Mourne Wall Walk
« on: 16:31:07, 18/07/08 »
Hi, does anyone know of any organised sponsored walks for the Mourne Wall? I walk in them regularly and am really keen to challenge myself to the 22 mile walk around the wall, while helping charity. Thanks,
Maresa

Daithi2004

Re: Mourne Wall Walk
« Reply #1 on: 00:31:34, 15/08/08 »
Hi Maresa, There hasn't been a Mourne Wall Walk in Years. There is The Mourne Challenge and the Seven Sevens

Maresa

« Reply #2 on: 10:05:05, 15/08/08 »
Thanks! I missed the Seven Sevens (was actually going up them when I saw them all coming down  :( ) But looks like I can make the Mourne Challenge walk you suggested...cheers!!

vertigoman.

« Reply #3 on: 18:47:30, 07/09/08 »
Marisa, its a pity I hadnt joined up sooner as I completed the Mourne wall walk back in May this year with 12 mates for the "Shine a Light" childrens cancer charity and raised £10 000. It was a fantastic experience and the weather was incredible( seriously!). As my username implies..I have no head for heights but grew up walking in the Mournes and I am gradually getting over the height issue. Hi-lights are Binnian and Bernagh..they were fantastic to climb and as for coming down there is nothing to match Slieve Muck for sheer drop...sliding on the grass stuff ! I am constantly in the Mournes and I intend doing the walk again.

kevin

« Reply #4 on: 15:01:42, 14/02/09 »
Hi Im a member of the Northern Walking Partnership[WWW.northern walking.com] based in Belfast.We are currently looking to develop a Training section and would like to hear from anyone who would be interested in volunteering as an Navigation/hillwalking instructor.We are also open to enquiries from less experienced persons who are interested in developing teaching/training skills.You can volunteer as much/as little time as you feel able.Thanks.

Maresa

« Reply #5 on: 23:42:39, 18/02/09 »
Hi Kevin, thanks for the post. It's definitely something I'd like to consider. Can you fwd me more details of what is expected of each role, any training given, commitment expected, age group of the walkers, and anything else you think relevant. My address is [email protected] [nofollow].

I'm in the Mournes regularly and have a good level of fitness. I'm also a member of another walking club in Northern Ireland. Lately, I have been considering voluntary work, strangely enough. I would need to build on my team skills but perhaps this is something I could learn with the role/training?

Thanks again,
Maresa

kevin

« Reply #6 on: 14:49:56, 19/02/09 »
Hi Maresa,
Thanks for your interest in our post.You can find more about the NWP at our website:www.northernwalking.co including this years walks programme.The size and composition of the walks can vary.Ages vary from the teens to the sixties.Last year on the Antrim Way walk we attracted over 40 people[including BBC Ulster Journalist-not that I recognised her!].At one extreme there was a party of uber-fit young guys who treated the event as a speed walk at the other we had a  family group who were happy to dander along at their own pace....we try to appeal a wide,varied public embracing all abilities...as for the training this is very much in its infancy...I hope to have it up and running for the months of july thru sept:if its sucessful then we will look at doing something over the winter...in terms of committment as much or aslittle as you feel able..we all live busy lives and if you do get involved you can do so on an ad hoc basis,nobody would expect you to sign your life away..you'll find us very relaxed in that way...perhaps the best thing is that we meet up.at one of the walks,perhaps at the end of this month and take things from there,We would welcome your input.

666_pack

« Reply #7 on: 16:07:41, 16/03/09 »
Hi All I'm new to the forum it's great to see a renewed interest in the mourne wall. Me and a few mates will tackle it at the end of April in preparation for the CMD arete to ben nevis and the Crib goch in the late summer. Had a great day last sunday scramblin up the devils coachroad @ slieve Beg.

kevin

« Reply #8 on: 12:49:53, 18/03/09 »
Hi just to let those interested in the Mournes that we-tHE NORTHERN WALKING PARTNERSHIP THAT IS-has a twelve miler organised for the 29th of march.All are welcome and the day will provide an informal opportunity for any of you who might be interested in getting involved with us as a walk leader/instructor.Hope to see you on the 29th.Kevin.Northern walking.com. :D

666_pack

« Reply #9 on: 15:46:53, 18/03/09 »
great stuff kevin.
Could you give me an idea of the itinerary for the day as it's always good to get a day on the hills ;D

paulocon

« Reply #10 on: 14:00:36, 05/09/11 »
Only new on here. Based in Ireland and came across this when browsing the Ireland section.

I walked the Mourne Wall last year. Was a great experience and highly recommended. Apparently, there used to be a very popular organised walk years ago but it's popularity proved it's undoing due to concerns of erosion caused by such big numbers taking part.

Anyway, I highly recommend the route and will tackle it myself again next year hopefully.

Done a writeup which you can see at: http://climbingirelandsmountains.blogspot.com/2010/05/mourne-wall-walk-my-legs-dont-seem-to.html [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy