Author Topic: Foel Fadian  (Read 2915 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Foel Fadian
« on: 08:52:05, 17/09/17 »
Morning all,

A few pictures here from a little walk we did a couple of weeks ago on the northern edge of the Cambrian Mountains. I haven't walked around there before and it really whetted my appetite to explore the area more.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, tree, plant, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, grass, tree, plant, outdoor and nature
Foel Fadian itself.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, ocean, mountain, outdoor, nature and water
Glaslyn.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, tree, outdoor and nature
Great views to Cadair Idris - lucky folk who picked that day to climb it.

It was only a half-day walk with not a huge amount of ascent but the location and the views all around were tremendous. As always, more pictures and a full trip report at the blog:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2017/09/foel-fadian.html

:)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: Foel Fadian
« Reply #1 on: 15:47:04, 17/09/17 »
A great TR Adalard. I found it very interesting as I had never heard of Foel Fadian and I thought I knew the country around Aberhosan.  :-[  There's some great country to be explored south east of Machynlleth.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:50:43, 17/09/17 »
Lovely photos adalard :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:42:43, 17/09/17 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos adalard    :)    The views look amazing

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:30:55, 18/09/17 »
Thanks, Sunnydale and Dovegirl.  :)

A great TR Adalard. I found it very interesting as I had never heard of Foel Fadian and I thought I knew the country around Aberhosan.  :-[  There's some great country to be explored south east of Machynlleth.

Cheers, Penygadair. It's well worth a visit if you're nearby, even if you park by the entrance to nature reserve and just nip up to to summit for the views.

Aside from one visit to the Beacons, I've never walked south of Snowdonia so it was all new to me. I definitely want to explore the Cambrian Mountains more.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:06:25, 18/09/17 »
Great to see your images of a great area. There are a very high density of rights of way in a terrain that contains a lot of features within very walkable distances. Just SSE of Foel Fadian, t'other side of Y Grug is a very picturesque ravine, that channels the infant Afon Clywedog in it's way to greater things. Makes about a 5 mile loop.

It is areas like this that stretched my understanding of route design beyond the destination objective motivation to a greater appreciation of terrain.

First visited the Star Inn at Dyllife way back in the 1960's and the opening hours laws of the time, place where you could see the dawn with pint of beer in hand.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:13:40, 19/09/17 »
Thanks, Barewirewalker.  O0

I'll keep a note of that ravine for future walks in the area. 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:44:36, 19/09/17 »
Lovely write up and pics on your blog adalard  O0

Still smiling about the going in the wrong direction bit, we have been known to do that now and again :)
Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:11:15, 19/09/17 »
Thanks, Barewirewalker.  O0

I'll keep a note of that ravine for future walks in the area.

My heartfelt thanks for this topic and a happy reminder of this ravine. Mrs BWW and I returned there yesterday and did a glorious 6.25 mile circular culminating in Foel Fadian as the sunset started over a distant view of the sea.

By re doing the section up the ravine I have had to re-assess my ideas of the purpose of the apparent track I originally took. Those who walk Glyndwrs Way are actually within yards of this glorious spectacle, yet it is hidden from view by nature of the convex slope at the top of the ravine. I had originally thought that the track I had followed was an old miners way into ravine, even perhaps a tramway, but I now have a different idea. It would not be wise for an inexperience walker to do this route as it has fallen into greater disrepair since my previous visit and now two fences cut across it so it is not the right of way. Once in the ravine there is a clear way carved out of the hillside, like a hanging terrace in places but in two places it comes to an abrupt end and in potentially dangerous circumstances. However a close attention how the sheep use the old way and make their own variations can give a clue how to safely avoid the dangers left by miners of old.

This old way is I believe the course of an elevated water course to bring a source of water to the mine crushing plant, as Iron stanchions embedded into the rock seem to indicate supporting a structure that is no loner there. If a visitor can find the eye of a needle then they are not far from where this way seems to originate with ironwork embedded in the rock of the river bed.

The scenic value of the place is very poorly represented at this time because the southern side of the ravine has recently been cleared in the usually untidy way of forestry harvest. Were the natural habitat allowed to re-establish this could be a magical place, and the highlight of many a route.

The Eye of the Needle is along side a narrow cleft that seems to earn the name of the Miner's Gate if you choose to find it and walk through it. It the approach would be tricky, but the sheep do it and a view of it's potential is only a few yards from Glyndwr's Way.

As an afterthought;
The Eye of the Needle and The Miner's Gate are in Open Access though this seems to come to an end half way down the ravine. However a RoW crosses the ravine 1/3 of a mile from the end of OA. Happy trespassing.
« Last Edit: 13:24:12, 19/09/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:08:21, 20/09/17 »
My heartfelt thanks for this topic and a happy reminder of this ravine. Mrs BWW and I returned there yesterday and did a glorious 6.25 mile circular culminating in Foel Fadian as the sunset started over a distant view of the sea.

That's nice to hear, Barewirewalker. And it sounds like you timed reaching the summit perfectly.

The ravine sounds fascinating. If I do get to visit it, it sounds like I'll have to do it as a solo walk as my partner wouldn't entertain anything like you've described. I'm really looking forward to returning to the area, particularly around Pumlumon Fach and Pen Pumlumon Fawr.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:18:29, 20/09/17 »
Lovely write up and pics on your blog adalard  O0

Still smiling about the going in the wrong direction bit, we have been known to do that now and again :)

Thanks, April  :)  It always seems to be in villages or towns that I come a cropper. I went the opposite way to where I wanted to go in Glossop once, even though I'd done two previous walks from the station there. Give me a completely featureless stretch of moorland any day of the week!  ;) ;D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:43:34, 20/09/17 »
Great report and photos, Foel Fadian is one of the best distance viewpoints in mid Wales, quite why the Owain Glyndwr Way bypasses it is a mystery. As you discovered, public footpaths often present problems in little-walked parts of mid Wales, we learned to expect them a long time ago!.

Glaslyn, and particularly the very steep sided cwms either side of it, are rarely mentioned by walkers, and combined with the Pumlumon hills make superb backpacking country that is usually completely deserted apart from the main summits. We've had several trips in that region, excellent stuff.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:46:46, 21/09/17 »
Great stuff. Love to hear about these off the beaten track places. Looks great  O0

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:20:45, 22/09/17 »

Thanks, Vghikers and Redeye.  :)

As you discovered, public footpaths often present problems in little-walked parts of mid Wales, we learned to expect them a long time ago!.

I reported the blocked footpath using the Pathwatch tool on the Ramblers website (as I did with a broken stile and missing sign by Gun Hill in Staffordshire recently). I don't know how effective that is though? I wasn't really sure what more I could do. It is a shame if it puts people off or makes them abandon their walks, as it's such lovely countryside around there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy