Author Topic: OS Maps on Bing Maps  (Read 7376 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Maps on Bing Maps
« Reply #30 on: 09:03:21, 11/01/19 »
Phew, that's a relief!
I never print screencaps from Bing, you get a bigger area on MemoryMap, but whenever I want to look somewhere up on Bing I always select the OS view.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 09:58:24, 11/01/19 »
Well that is a relief, people would probably start to ask questions if I had a paper map spread across my desk at work as often as I have Bing open.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:20:56, 11/01/19 »
Have they made changes.  Just that it seems to be running faster than ever here.  I still have only half an icon too.  But it seems to be something peculiar to my tablet.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:06:19, 12/01/19 »
My Bing OS is back! Yippee!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:51:50, 12/01/19 »
I have just had a look at Bing Maps in more detail.  Would I be right in saying its only use for walkers is to print off OS maps for free?
I couldn't see any way of plotting a walking route on the map, let alone exporting it.  The directions tool only seems to lay routes along roads which if true, makes it a fat lot of good for most trips.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:07:35, 12/01/19 »
I have just had a look at Bing Maps in more detail.  Would I be right in saying its only use for walkers is to print off OS maps for free?
I couldn't see any way of plotting a walking route on the map, let alone exporting it.  The directions tool only seems to lay routes along roads which if true, makes it a fat lot of good for most trips.

1. It's a OS map of anywhere at all that you want in England / Scotland / Wales.
2. It's free.
When I go on a day walk I take a photocopy of a couple of pages from a guidebook and a screencap of the area of the walk from a 1:25k map such as Bing. I can look at the routemap from the book and see it on the footpaths on the OS map. That's enough for me.
By the time I go on one of my multiple-day walks I've looked at the route so many times that it is firmly fixed in my head.
The only reason I need to plot a route on a map is to leave it at home in case someone has to come and find my body. I can do that with a highlighter pen.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:36:49, 12/01/19 »
So that's a yes then.  I thought I may have been missing a trick.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:41:16, 12/01/19 »
So that's a yes then.  I thought I may have been missing a trick.

I use it for planning routes without having to rifle through my map collection, and obviously for planning routes in areas for which I do not have the 1:25000 map (most of the Highlands, for instance). Also, it is sometimes useful to flick between OS map and satellite shot, to see if a route actually exists on the ground.

And the 'Measure Distance' feature is pretty good.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:32:44, 12/01/19 »
Phew, that's a relief!
I never print screencaps from Bing, you get a bigger area on MemoryMap, but whenever I want to look somewhere up on Bing I always select the OS view.
Just looked at the trailzilla routing page, and must say the OS mapping is great considering its free. Its on a large area too..  It is as good as the paid for Ordnance Survey mapping app, if you only want to create routes and download the GPX files. Plus I guess you are unable to download maps for offline use.

I`m beginning to think I will not subscribe to the paid for OS mapping anymore, as Trailzilla enables the creation of routes..I can then transfer to my Garmin which I use a talkytoaster map on. (that is a paid for map but was only £11 and its a raster map). Even the free Talkytoaster maps are very good.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 10:26:36, 13/01/19 »
Is it only me still uses paper OS maps now?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:35:47, 13/01/19 »
No, I still use paper maps. I have thought about buying a gps unit, but am not yet convinced. I only have a work mobile phone that eats battery charge and has little memory space for maps. The map doesn’t come out very much when walking as,once I have planned a route, I tend to have a very good picture of where I am going in my mind. I do consult the map and compass in poor visibility and when the route isn’t clear.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 11:49:06, 13/01/19 »

I still use paper maps to plan walks. I like to see the greater context. In the field (no pun intended) I use a basic GPS as another navigational aid like a compass but occasionally refer to the map to double check - eg which side of a wall a path is, if not obvious.

joncombe

« Reply #42 on: 15:58:00, 13/01/19 »
Still crooked though. Why do maps in Bing always show OS maps tilted slightly to right?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 16:39:11, 13/01/19 »
You're right! If you get the name of a town in 1:50k and slide it up to just below the top bar, it's ever so slightly out of line. I never noticed that before.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:31:19, 13/01/19 »
You're right! If you get the name of a town in 1:50k and slide it up to just below the top bar, it's ever so slightly out of line. I never noticed that before.
  Top of my head - difference between true N and grid N?
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy